Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1001978 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7700 on: September 01, 2015, 11:40:24 PM »

Pete, I know this all sounds incredibly confusing but it gets really fun/easy once you figure it out. And then you'll kick yourself in the balls for not doing it your entire life.

I am going to dive in!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: September 02, 2015, 12:04:26 AM »
just got the 100k Amex Plat. $450 annual fee not waived but comes with lounge access, $200 airline credit, other elite stuff.

http://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/amex-plaitnum-100k-business-gold-75k/

I can't get the freaking 100K offer to load.  I tried using both incognito on Chrome and a private window on Firefox.   :angry:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:13 AM »
Looks like lots of people were pissed about this thing being pulled fast by Amex.  I'll have to be quicker next time something like this pops up.  :cry:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: September 02, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »
Yeah, it didn't last long. I'll warn you next time one may not last.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: September 02, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »

Anybody got the AMEX SPG Personal that wants to send a referral?
Maybe late but I've got it. Posted about it about a week ago in this thread!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: September 02, 2015, 07:09:44 AM »

Yeah, it didn't last long. I'll warn you next time one may not last.

Think I should sit tight for a bit or dive into another one? 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7706 on: September 02, 2015, 08:03:52 AM »
Also SD, is there a household bill that you do NOT funnel through a card?  Mortgages aside, is there anything that for any reason you don't put on a card?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: September 02, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »
Also SD, is there a household bill that you do NOT funnel through a card?  Mortgages aside, is there anything that for any reason you don't put on a card?

no, I do everything else that I can think of. I cant' think of a reason not to. The Chase Ink actually gives me 5 points for each $ on my cell phone and cable bills so that's a no brainer. I pay my gas, electric, & water on whatever card I need to hit spend on. there's no downside. What cards do you have so far? I'll point you to where to go next. There's no reason you shouldn't be hitting minimum spend for a bonus ever again.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
my gas & electric do not accept american express  :curse:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: September 02, 2015, 08:47:13 AM »
My water bill charges me an extra fee to pay with a credit card, so I only pay it by cc if I am meeting a min spend.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7710 on: September 02, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »

no, I do everything else that I can think of. I cant' think of a reason not to. The Chase Ink actually gives me 5 points for each $ on my cell phone and cable bills so that's a no brainer. I pay my gas, electric, & water on whatever card I need to hit spend on. there's no downside.

convenience of my bank bill pay interface plus too many townie utilities (that are very cheap) make it not quite worth the hassle. I've always thought I would have trouble hitting the spend but I never do so it's not quite worth 150 UR points a month.

although I do pay my cable/cell phone on my ink

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
my utilities automatically charge my credit cards so it's super convenient. unless I want to change cards then I have to login and change the auto bill pay stuff at the utility company website.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: September 02, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
SD, thanks for the advice!  I am all in now.  Here is what I have now (below), and l'd like your guidance on what to get next, what to cancel (need more instruction on "churn" tactics), and what to use for bills etc (ongoing spend when I am not trying for a bonus spend on a new card).

Chase Sapphire
Chase Southwest Airlines
Chase Marriott
Amex Delta Airlines
Amex Gold (recently acquired)
MasterCard American Airlines
Diners Club  (work only)

I have hit all bonuses on these, and don't NEED to hit any spend levels at all with these. 

I want to get any and all new ones that are useful and rewarding, but I am honestly a bit confused on the recent talk about "maximum number of card applications" warnings that have been posted about.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: September 02, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »

my utilities automatically charge my credit cards so it's super convenient. unless I want to change cards then I have to login and change the auto bill pay stuff at the utility company website.

I am going to do this as well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: September 02, 2015, 11:56:40 AM »
SD, thanks for the advice!  I am all in now.  Here is what I have now (below), and l'd like your guidance on what to get next, what to cancel (need more instruction on "churn" tactics), and what to use for bills etc (ongoing spend when I am not trying for a bonus spend on a new card).

Chase Sapphire
Chase Southwest Airlines
Chase Marriott
Amex Delta Airlines
Amex Gold (recently acquired)
MasterCard American Airlines
Diners Club  (work only)

I have hit all bonuses on these, and don't NEED to hit any spend levels at all with these. 

I want to get any and all new ones that are useful and rewarding, but I am honestly a bit confused on the recent talk about "maximum number of card applications" warnings that have been posted about.

OK, that's a good list. Ditch all of them except the work one and the Chase Sapphire Preferred when the annual fee comes due. They will remove it and cancel the card up to 60 days after it hits so you don't have to be very pro-active about it.

The maximum amount of cards stuff is only for Chase and only for their proprietary cards (CSP, Ink, Freedom). Those also happen to be some of the best cards so you'll want to get them all soon so they don't start giving you crap about it. They may already right now but it doesn't hurt to try. I'd get the Ink now and hit the minimum spend (obviously use my referral link  :fatty: ) and then hopefully the Freedom will be back up to 20k and you can get it. Of all of my cards the only ones I keep and don't cancel when the annual fee comes due are those 3 Chase cards. But, I do plan to cancel them when I hit the two year mark and can get the bonus again. You can merge all of the UR points into one account so just make sure to move the points from either the Ink to the CSP before cancelling or vice versa. The points actually aren't worth much if you ONLY have the Freedom but become worth a lot when you transfer them from the Freedom to either the Ink or CSP (this is confusing but it's how it works). The Ink gets the 5x bonus on phone and cable as well as a bonus on office supply stores. It's a business card but you own part of a message board so use that and your SSN as a sole proprietor and you're all set. The Freedom has no annual fee and has quarterly bonus spend of 5x for the first 1,500 per quarter. Right now it's gas so we use it for gas only. Last quarter of the year is always Amazon so we obviously buy all XMas gifts through Amazon. After you get the Ink and Freedom I'd start getting SPG, another Citi AA, any number of good limited time options that may be available, etc. but right now you should get those two Chase before you go application crazy because (as I mentioned) they are the two that will cut you off if you have too many applications.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: September 02, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
TL;DR, just cancel all of those except the CSP and your work one when the annual fees hit and get the Ink now followed by the Freedom. Then ask me what to do next.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: September 02, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »
also sign up for awardwallet, here is a link to free premium for like 6 months and then it's super cheap to keep it after that and it's critical imo

http://AwardWallet.com/?refCode=heptmcmyva

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: September 02, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »
WILL DO ALL OF THAT!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: September 02, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
TL;DR, just cancel all of those except the CSP and your work one when the annual fees hit and get the Ink now followed by the Freedom. Then ask me what to do next.

They denied me on the Ink, saying the "business revenue" was too low and unestablished.   :angry:  And, that they saw I just opened a new personal card (the CSP).

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: September 02, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »
I watched Pete lose a credit card in his own wallet once.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: September 02, 2015, 08:53:27 PM »

I watched Pete lose a credit card in his own wallet once.

Very different root cause.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: September 02, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »

They denied me on the Ink, saying the "business revenue" was too low and unestablished.   :angry:  And, that they saw I just opened a new personal card (the CSP).

call them and talk to them about it and ask them to reconsider. tell them you need a card to separate your business from your personal expenses for tax reasons. good chance that they will change their minds and approve.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »

call them and talk to them about it and ask them to reconsider. tell them you need a card to separate your business from your personal expenses for tax reasons. good chance that they will change their minds and approve.

They had me call, and I did, and I guess my made up revenue number for gE wasn't high enough. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:08 PM »
Then, to make matters worse, I accidentally clicked on SD's Freedom referral link directly, without first opening a new private window, and it auto submitted that app!  Crap!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »

They had me call, and I did, and I guess my made up revenue number for gE wasn't high enough.

hmmmm. they have a reconsideration line. i'd call it.