Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003519 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7575 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »
i forgot to cancel an old citi aa mc and just got charged the fee. can i talk them out of it?

pretty sure I remember reading earlier in this thread you can call within 30 days to cancel card and get fee waived/refunded.
This is true.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: August 04, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
i forgot to cancel an old citi aa mc and just got charged the fee. can i talk them out of it?

pretty sure I remember reading earlier in this thread you can call within 30 days to cancel card and get fee waived/refunded.
This is true.

mission accomplished.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: August 10, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »
Thought I was done here for a while, but about to spend $2k on a landscaping project that i can put on a CC and then going to Vegas for a bachelor party, that i'll be happy to pay for stuff and have friends pay me back later.... Should I go for one of those large spend cards?  Now has to be the best time... just nervous if I don't end up hitting the spend requirement then I'm on the hook for $450 annual fee.

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
Priority club from chase? don't know if they are going to start being assholes to you soon or not given how much you've kicked the crap out of them. Hyatt?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: August 10, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
new job has company credit cards for all travel expenses and only flies southwest :(
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: August 10, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »
quit?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Priority club from chase? don't know if they are going to start being assholes to you soon or not given how much you've kicked the crap out of them. Hyatt?

Spend is only $1k on that one right?

... I just got AmEx Prem Rewards Gold that has the $1k spend for 50k points.  Almost there w/ that already... Then I have the HHonors Citi Visa Signature that has $2k spend for 75k points.  I could use that on the landscaping project and hit it on that one purchase, but wondered if now was the time to go for one of those big spend cards.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: August 10, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
thanks for this thread, steve dave. i recently was at the Park Hyatt Zurich ( :gocho: but srsly holy crap) and when i checked in the lady said "i see you have platinum status. thank you for your loyalty mr mocat" i lol'd because i have never given Hyatt a dime

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: August 10, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »

Spend is only $1k on that one right?

... I just got AmEx Prem Rewards Gold that has the $1k spend for 50k points.  Almost there w/ that already... Then I have the HHonors Citi Visa Signature that has $2k spend for 75k points.  I could use that on the landscaping project and hit it on that one purchase, but wondered if now was the time to go for one of those big spend cards.

if it's worth it to you then why not?

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: August 10, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
new job has company credit cards for all travel expenses and only flies southwest :(

Well as long as you are only planning on redeeming points in North America I guess that's ok

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #7585 on: August 10, 2015, 07:05:54 PM »
I feel ya. Company AmEx here. So no spend points. Although, we do get to fly whatever we like. Even get direct flights if it saves two hours.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »

woof

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
spg amex (pers and biz) back to 30k through mid September. If someone has the personal card they should be able to refer you and get 5k points for themselves as well. Feel free to post your link to the offer and I'll add it to the front page. you can't get the bonus on the personal if you've had the card in the past but you can get it on the biz card if it's been more than 12 months since you closed your last spg biz card.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: August 11, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
SW opened their calendar through mid April. just booked some april flights for the family at like 38k each RT. The companion pass makes it worth it since it brings the price down to 25k RT but woof at spending that many points for a coach domestic RT if you don't have a companion pass. flights are around $575 RT so you'd be getting about 1.5 CPM which is down a bit from their previous redemption value with the new "dynamic" pricing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: August 11, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »

SW opened their calendar through mid April. just booked some april flights for the family at like 38k each RT. The companion pass makes it worth it since it brings the price down to 25k RT but woof at spending that many points for a coach domestic RT if you don't have a companion pass. flights are around $575 RT so you'd be getting about 1.5 CPM which is down a bit from their previous redemption value with the new "dynamic" pricing.

Jesus Christ. OMA-MCO? During spring break or thereabouts?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7590 on: August 11, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »

Jesus Christ. OMA-MCO? During spring break or thereabouts?

Yeah, should be after spring break though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: August 11, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
I have the SPG Biz card so if someone wants a referral for the limited time 30k offer let me know and I'll send it over to you. I can't see a way to get a link to send out like I can with Chase so I just need name and email address PM'd to get it to you.  :gocho:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

round trip MCI-LAS for march madness 25K is pretty decent tho
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: August 11, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »

round trip MCI-LAS for march madness 25K is pretty decent tho

average

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: August 11, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »
More of a general credit question, but still related to CCs in terms of getting and qualifying for them.

I had a private Sallie Mae loan default over ten years ago, and didn't repay it for years. The original balance was like $5,800 and I've been paying for the last few years each month. The Current balance is $2582 and I got offered a settlement for $1295. Should I take the savings, lose the monthly payment and settle?

Will the credit ding from settling for less than the full amount be worse than continuing to repay the defaulted loan?  Of course, there is the $1,200 bucks to consider as well, but the credit is my bigger concern.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: August 11, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
I've got the personal SPG if anyone wants the link. PM name and email address

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »

Being real jerks on their MCI <> LAS for March madness

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: August 11, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
More of a general credit question, but still related to CCs in terms of getting and qualifying for them.

I had a private Sallie Mae loan default over ten years ago, and didn't repay it for years. The original balance was like $5,800 and I've been paying for the last few years each month. The Current balance is $2582 and I got offered a settlement for $1295. Should I take the savings, lose the monthly payment and settle?

Will the credit ding from settling for less than the full amount be worse than continuing to repay the defaulted loan?  Of course, there is the $1,200 bucks to consider as well, but the credit is my bigger concern.

How is it being reflected on your credit report currently?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: August 11, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »

if you can afford it I think the settlement would be by far the best route.   Be aware though I think they will reflect the difference in the balance against your taxes as a misc. income.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile