Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005508 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #6850 on: March 19, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
Is there any reason I should keep my SW card?

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: March 19, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
Has anyone ever flown Spirit? is it that awful? my Chicago bud who flies back every other week to KC said its never full and super cheap.  I looked at their card and it's like 5,000 miles per round trip off peak flight, and they give you 15k sign up and 2x miles for each dollar spent.  I only want to travel on the cheap, don't care about upgrades, anyone ever used this card and think it would be worth it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: March 19, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »
Is there any reason I should keep my SW card?

not if you've received the bonus

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
Has anyone ever flown Spirit? is it that awful? my Chicago bud who flies back every other week to KC said its never full and super cheap.  I looked at their card and it's like 5,000 miles per round trip off peak flight, and they give you 15k sign up and 2x miles for each dollar spent.  I only want to travel on the cheap, don't care about upgrades, anyone ever used this card and think it would be worth it?

if you don't care about legroom and paying for carryons, it's fine for short haul.  Also, they apparently cancel a lot of flights.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: March 19, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
i canceled my capital one card last year. it was basically my training wheels, first ever credit card that i got right after college. today i got this in my email. should i do it?

We want to win you back as a customer. That’s why you’re invited to apply for the Capital One® VentureOne card. Upon credit approval, you’ll earn unlimited 1.25 miles on every purchase, every day. Plus, enjoy:
•   The freedom to fly any airline and stay at any hotel, anytime—with no blackout dates.
•   0% intro APR on purchases until March 2016; 11.9%-21.9% variable APR after that
•   No annual fee
You can also earn a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months. That’s equal to $200 in extra travel rewards.

Apply for the VentureOne card and start earning 1.25 miles with no annual fee. This offer expires March 29, 2015.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6855 on: March 19, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
why not blast?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: March 19, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »
also iirc, you can churn that card every 4 months or something from now until the end of time, no fee ever. so wgaf if you don't get the best redemption rate, i mean it didn't cost you anything

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: March 19, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
check flyertalk first.  i thought they had a card with a 40k bonus.  not sure on churnability, tho.  i'd do it for you, but my internet connection here is super slow.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: March 19, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »
sd or whoever, I want to get a lot of AA miles for a trip somewhere undecided.  AA flies everywhere from here so that's how we know we want to use them.  anyhoo, I have boatloads of Marriott points for hotel and just want to get some cards for airline miles.  I know the citi cards but what is the secret to getting the two cards or whatever?  isn't there a browser trick?  I have never had the citi card before, my wife currently has the personal card that she has had since June 2013.  please advise
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
sd or whoever, I want to get a lot of AA miles for a trip somewhere undecided.  AA flies everywhere from here so that's how we know we want to use them.  anyhoo, I have boatloads of Marriott points for hotel and just want to get some cards for airline miles.  I know the citi cards but what is the secret to getting the two cards or whatever?  isn't there a browser trick?  I have never had the citi card before, my wife currently has the personal card that she has had since June 2013.  please advise

the browser thing doesn't work anymore.  don't turn your nose up at the 25k card.  it's another thing to do while waiting for the plat and bus cards to reset.  you should read the flyertalk info page it explains everything.  link below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread-subscription.

'blast, this is also the same link you should look at for the capone 40k venture.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: March 20, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »

Get the Barclay US card immediately as well as the citi AA. Can only get one citi now.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
K I assume the US card points can xfer to AA or they will be merged together soon?  what's the best bonus on those?  I know 50 for citi
emaw

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
why not blast?

kinda what i was thinking

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: March 20, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »

K I assume the US card points can xfer to AA or they will be merged together soon?  what's the best bonus on those?  I know 50 for citi

Can't transfer but will merge soon. 50k for each.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »
Not going to lie here, didn't search the previous 200 pages of this thread.

Say i'm going to buy a car in the next couple years. Is the GM Mastercard worth the time/spend to get points or should I just pony up the cash when I buy the car?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: March 20, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »

Get the Barclay US card immediately as well as the citi AA. Can only get one citi now.

This card?

http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/?campaignId=2062&cellNumber=8

so, basically you're buying 50k miles for $89?

and this card?

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/detail.do?ID=citi-aadvantage-platinum-select-credit-card&category=american-airlines-aadvantage-credit-cards&afc=157

Do you know when the merge will happen?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: March 20, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
Not going to lie here, didn't search the previous 200 pages of this thread.

Say i'm going to buy a car in the next couple years. Is the GM Mastercard worth the time/spend to get points or should I just pony up the cash when I buy the car?

wrong thread

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: March 20, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »

yeah and the 50k miles is going to buy you a $1000+ round trip somewhere.

so you give them $89 and they give you $1000+, if you want to think of it that way

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »

yeah and the 50k miles is going to buy you a $1000+ round trip somewhere.

so you give them $89 and they give you $1000+, if you want to think of it that way

$0.02 per mile is very generous, imo.  i don't think they have that value.  you also have to factor in opportunity cost.  what could you get for the same spend on other cards that don't cost $89?  i have yet to see a convincing argument that paying the fee makes sense for most people.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: March 20, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »
why not blast?

kinda what i was thinking

did you click the link i told you to click?

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: March 20, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
the wife and I both got the barclays card and I got a citi card.  I'm having a lot of fun!
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: March 20, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »
the AA/USAir account matching thing kept giving me an error.  I finally figured out it was because I'm "GoodForAnother" to AA and "Mr. GoodForAnother" to USAir.  I changed my name to "Mr. GoodForAnother" with AA and it worked. :lol:
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: March 20, 2015, 11:01:05 PM »

This card?

http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/?campaignId=2062&cellNumber=8

and this card?

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/detail.do?ID=citi-aadvantage-platinum-select-credit-card&category=american-airlines-aadvantage-credit-cards&afc=157

Do you know when the merge will happen?

FYI I just read an article that the merger is happening in 3 weeks
emaw

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: March 20, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »
i hung out with AAcat last month and got to here some pretty neat stories about the merger. usair pretty much just threw a hail mary and convinced enough people about some facts (half made up and admitted by usair after the fact) to make the merger happen. also the usair group is heading stuff but they all moved to dallas and are super including the AA people. the delta merger years ago was the opposite and there is still crap tons of friction within those companies and they are behind in some big ways despite merging years sooner.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: March 22, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
i hung out with AAcat last month and got to here some pretty neat stories about the merger. usair pretty much just threw a hail mary and convinced enough people about some facts (half made up and admitted by usair after the fact) to make the merger happen. also the usair group is heading stuff but they all moved to dallas and are super including the AA people. the delta merger years ago was the opposite and there is still crap tons of friction within those companies and they are behind in some big ways despite merging years sooner.

which companies?