Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006330 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #6825 on: March 17, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
postgradproblems.com/this-man-is-dominating-the-travel-game-so-hard/

luked? i know this guy has been mentioned but hadn't seen this video.

yeah, I followed him on twitter and facebook for a long time but grew kind of board of him so quit. has a pocket square company. pretty lol. Lucky wrote about him a couple times and now they're kinda buds.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2013/02/26/i-ran-into-justin-ross-lee-at-jfk-its-time-to-see-him-in-action/

I'm kinda curious how he pays for all his trips. It's pretty fascinating.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: March 17, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »
Probably missed this somewhere along the way, but how in the world are you able to rack up 300k UR points a year, SD? :sdeek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: March 17, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
Probably missed this somewhere along the way, but how in the world are you able to rack up 300k UR points a year, SD? :sdeek:

In the last 2 or 3 years I've gotten 2 Sapphire cards (first one actually got 100k, second only 50k), an Ink Bold and two Inks, and a Freedom. I max out all the quarterly Freedom categories. I use almost exclusively the UR portal for non-amazon online shopping. Sapphire is my primary spend card for spend that isn't bonus'ed anywhere else. Ink for gas. I get some referral points from you studs. I don't know, they just come to me faster than I can spend them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: March 17, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
postgradproblems.com/this-man-is-dominating-the-travel-game-so-hard/

luked? i know this guy has been mentioned but hadn't seen this video.

yeah, I followed him on twitter and facebook for a long time but grew kind of board of him so quit. has a pocket square company. pretty lol. Lucky wrote about him a couple times and now they're kinda buds.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2013/02/26/i-ran-into-justin-ross-lee-at-jfk-its-time-to-see-him-in-action/

I'm kinda curious how he pays for all his trips. It's pretty fascinating.

ha, Lucky just commented on it

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/03/17/this-is-why-people-hate-travel-hackers/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: March 17, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
Yeah, I don't think he's hacking all that much. You can't use credit card miles to fly on a private jet or spend a month in Thailand.

Going to the arrivals when you're actually departing is a pretty good tip, though.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: March 17, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
if I'm thinking about going to London/Germany this summer, is there a card I could get now that I could get rewards to get there in time?

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »

you better hurry and apply for a couple USAir cards because it's going away pretty soon. everyone who has it will be rolled into an AA card that you can't sign up for.

How are you able to continue to get the bonus? I've applied twice and been denied (not really, I just withdrew my application after talking to reconsideration line) because I opened or closed an account with them in the past year. I even tried the "Yeah, that's my personal, this one is for my business" excuse and it didn't work.

I've been able to open two in the past year, same for Mrs. WonderMeal. But even though one or both of ours have been canceled, they still won't give us the bonus again.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: March 17, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »
if I'm thinking about going to London/Germany this summer, is there a card I could get now that I could get rewards to get there in time?

get a united and a csp.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:16 AM »

you better hurry and apply for a couple USAir cards because it's going away pretty soon. everyone who has it will be rolled into an AA card that you can't sign up for.

How are you able to continue to get the bonus? I've applied twice and been denied (not really, I just withdrew my application after talking to reconsideration line) because I opened or closed an account with them in the past year. I even tried the "Yeah, that's my personal, this one is for my business" excuse and it didn't work.

I've been able to open two in the past year, same for Mrs. WonderMeal. But even though one or both of ours have been canceled, they still won't give us the bonus again.

yes, they've never denied me. I get a new one every 3 or 4 months. I cancel the one I have after a few months and about a week later get another one. mrs. dave does the same.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: March 18, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »

get a united and a csp.

this would be good. I would make some phantom bookings to see what availability looks like from where you are flying from now to see if United could get you there now and just pray availability will hold out until you have the points. If not try AA and you could get the citi AA/US cards.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: March 18, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »

In the last 2 or 3 years I've gotten 2 Sapphire cards (first one actually got 100k, second only 50k), an Ink Bold and two Inks, and a Freedom. I max out all the quarterly Freedom categories. I use almost exclusively the UR portal for non-amazon online shopping. Sapphire is my primary spend card for spend that isn't bonus'ed anywhere else. Ink for gas. I get some referral points from you studs. I don't know, they just come to me faster than I can spend them.

another thing I do is buy starbucks gift cards from staples (online because I'm not wasting my time going to the store) and load them to my starbucks account. A $200 starbucks gift card is 1k UR points with the 5x Ink bonus and, unfortunately, mrs. dave and I burn through that really fast so we probably get about 10k UR points from just starbucks every year.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »

yes, they've never denied me. I get a new one every 3 or 4 months. I cancel the one I have after a few months and about a week later get another one. mrs. dave does the same.

I'm new to the CC hustle game so forgive the LCCIQ here. Just so I have this correct... you get a card that offers bonus miles, accrue those bonuses by meeting a spending requirement (ex. $3,000 in 3 months), cancel that card, and then apply for the same card to get the bonus again?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: March 18, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »

I'm new to the CC hustle game so forgive the LCCIQ here. Just so I have this correct... you get a card that offers bonus miles, accrue those bonuses by meeting a spending requirement (ex. $3,000 in 3 months), cancel that card, and then apply for the same card to get the bonus again?

yes, but the opportunities to do so are dwindling. I have had ~10 Citi AA cards in my life. You used to be able to get an AA card every 3 months or so. And at one time that came with 100k AA miles. which dropped to 75k. which has now dropped to 50k. and now it's not nearly as churnable as it used to be. The real churnable cards now are the US card which is going away in like a month and the Alaska Air card. Maybe the Frontier or some other weird ones but I'm not sure. People made literally millions of miles and got lifetime AA Executive Platinum status with AA by churning the AA cards. I would have lifetime executive plat status if I had started a year or so earlier. Now most Chase cards restrict you to one new bonus every two years. Citi is kind of a mystery but have clamped down recently. Amex new rules say one bonus per card type in a lifetime. Barclay is still churnable if they approve you. BoA is churnable but only have Alaska and maybe some dumb proprietary card.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: March 18, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
But, even just doing Chase cards should keep you going. Assume you have a spouse who participates you can be meeting min. spend on the Sapphire, SW (two versions), Freedom, United, Marriott, British Air, Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, IHG cards (All x 2 with the spouse) and just repeat that every two years. Alternate applications between you and the spouse. This isn't even including the Ink biz card. It's something that everyone who can handle their money without playing mind games with themselves should be doing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: March 18, 2015, 09:42:04 AM »
And don't wait until you have a trip planned to start. A lot of people do that. It kind of aggravates me when someone I know IRL says they have a trip in two months and want it all free because they know I travel free all the time. I understand it, but it gets frustrating explaining it to them. Then they think it's not all it's cracked up to be when I explain they are probably not going to be able to benefit from it on their upcoming trip. but, some people have an aversion to credit cards so even getting one let alone twenty is a huge step for them.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6840 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:45 AM »
Damn. It sounds like I've left a lot of points on the table the past few years by sticking to only one card.  :bang: I will definitely be frequenting this thread more often!

I'm looking at a vacation in August. Hoping that is enough lead time  :crossfingers:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »
another thing I do is buy starbucks gift cards from staples (online because I'm not wasting my time going to the store) and load them to my starbucks account. A $200 starbucks gift card is 1k UR points with the 5x Ink bonus and, unfortunately, mrs. dave and I burn through that really fast so we probably get about 10k UR points from just starbucks every year.

:frown:

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: March 18, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »

Nice. I've accumulated a decent amount of points just by using my CSP the last couple years, but I'd like to add to that with some other Chase cards. From the research that I've done it looks like there are only referral bonuses for Chase Freedom every once in a while. If someone gives me a referral link for Freedom, I'll try and use it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: March 18, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »
My wife and I have probably accumulated 300k over the last year. Currently have 230k but I'm heading toward that companion pass.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: March 18, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »

Nice. I've accumulated a decent amount of points just by using my CSP the last couple years, but I'd like to add to that with some other Chase cards. From the research that I've done it looks like there are only referral bonuses for Chase Freedom every once in a while. If someone gives me a referral link for Freedom, I'll try and use it.

Here you go...

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FCNF&CELL=6RLJ&MSC=1444196666

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: March 18, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
protip, from now on ask for steve dave's specific referral link so sd gets more points and rusty gets fewer

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: March 18, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »
wait until the bonus pops to 20k before getting the freedom.

michigancat, that wasn't very ethical of you not to inform scary that the bonus goes up to 20k at regular intervals.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
I just went to the refer a friend site and didn't see what the bonus was. Feel free to you sys's referral link when it gets to 20k

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
Or use steve dave's if you don't want to see him act like a child. Your choice.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: March 18, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
lol, thanks bros. I'll keep an eye on it and apply when the bonus goes up to 20k.