Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004788 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #6125 on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:14 AM »
I often mix & match one-way flights to my advantage.

Largely unrelated, remember my @united meltdown a couple months ago?  Just wrapped up whipping their ass on that whole thing.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
in 2012 i earned silver, so i was a silver most of 2013, until i qualified for gold around this time last year. so i will be gold until February 2015. I'm not really sure why it's February, since that will have been about a year and a half as a gold medallion.

this year i flew less than i did in 2013, and only qualified for silver for 2015. after February i will be silver.

i can tell you gold is like 1,000,000x better than silver. a lot more perks.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »
in 2012 i earned silver, so i was a silver most of 2013, until i qualified for gold around this time last year. so i will be gold until February 2015. I'm not really sure why it's February, since that will have been about a year and a half as a gold medallion.

this year i flew less than i did in 2013, and only qualified for silver for 2015. after February i will be silver.

yeah i feel like silver just lets people know you're not a total commoner, but you're still not even close to elite.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: September 24, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »
United Silver pretty much guarantees an Economy Plus upgrade on international flights, but that's about it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: September 24, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
New to the points game.  I'm going to be spending $3000 in the next 3 months anyway, so what's my best bet for getting some free airfare out of the deal?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: September 24, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »

yeah i feel like silver just lets people know you're not a total commoner, but you're still not even close to elite.

the 100% mileage bonus (as opposed to 25%) is great. for example, just a random MCI-ATL-ORF and back, you will earn like 6000 miles. plus if your employer lets you use your Delta Gold amex to pay for work travel, there's an extra 1000 or so.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
New to the points game.  I'm going to be spending $3000 in the next 3 months anyway, so what's my best bet for getting some free airfare out of the deal?

man, lots of options. there's a 50k AA card, 40k Chase Sapphirre Preferred card (best for overall spend if you are looking to keep it long term), Chase Ink/Ink Bold 50k cards (same points as the Sapphire Preferred but it's a business card), United Explorer 55k card (50k if you don't add another authorized user, this one was just 70k), 40k USAir cards (these will be going away soon with the AA merger), 50k Southwest cards.

I can refer you to the Sapphirre Prefered, United and possibly the SW cards if you want (no benefit at all to you, I just get 5k miles  :whistle1: )

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
also, let me know if you want links to any of them

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: September 24, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
So why would I get the Sapphire Preferred rather than the Ink/Ink Bold?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: September 24, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
So why would I get the Sapphire Preferred rather than the Ink/Ink Bold?

different spending bonuses. some people don't like carrying a business card for their personal spending.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: September 24, 2014, 12:15:53 PM »
also lower minimum spend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: September 24, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
tl/dnr: get both.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: September 24, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
So, when you book a flight with UR points using their kayak-style tool, can you only use the points for British Airways, Korean Airlines, Southwest, United, Virgin Atlantic and Singapore KrisFlyer?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: September 24, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »
So, when you book a flight with UR points using their kayak-style tool, can you only use the points for British Airways, Korean Airlines, Southwest, United, Virgin Atlantic and Singapore KrisFlyer?

no, you actually can't buy SW tickets that way. The airlines you listed will accept UR:Miles transfers at a 1:1 ratio. You can buy tickets from most traditional carriers using 1 point = 1.25 cents through their portal.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: September 24, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

no, you actually can't buy SW tickets that way. The airlines you listed will accept UR:Miles transfers at a 1:1 ratio. You can buy tickets from most traditional carriers using 1 point = 1.25 cents through their portal.

That's good to know.  Looks like the first annual fee is waived for the Sapphire and both Ink cards, correct?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: September 24, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »

That's good to know.  Looks like the first annual fee is waived for the Sapphire and both Ink cards, correct?

Yes, the exception is if you opt for the 70k in-person ink bonus. Then the fee isn't waived and you're basically spending $95 for 20k points, which is an excellent deal.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »

Yes, the exception is if you opt for the 70k in-person ink bonus. Then the fee isn't waived and you're basically spending $95 for 20k points, which is an excellent deal.

Is that offer still going on?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Also, these cards can be canceled at any time, right?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
yep, just cancel once they annual fee hits if you don't want it and they will remove the fee

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
also, as rusty pointed out, you can book stuff at 1.25 cents per mile for travel but it's not a good redemption at all. you can transfer the points to those other programs and get much more bang for your buck.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: September 24, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »

Check with a chase branch

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: September 24, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »

Check with a chase branch

Explain to me the vetting process for the business card.  Like, just tell them I do freelance work? Do they require a tax ID #?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: September 24, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
yes, no (you can use your ss# as a sole proprietor)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: September 24, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
Also, these cards can be canceled at any time, right?

just make sure that any non-airline or hotel card has had the points used unless you make sure they don't vanish.   Many, like URs disappear when you cancel if not used.