Author Topic: Anyone else get worried about bed bugs when they travel  (Read 3863 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else get worried about bed bugs when they travel
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »
i do not worry about this and have no problem staying in even the shadiest of shady hotels. i am a risk taker.  :party:

The Westwood out on Ft Riley Blvd?

Its got mirrors on the ceiling I've heard, or at least it did 15 years ago.  Can't imagine its been updated since then.

grew up in mhk and a cool townie thing to do was to have gradeschool bday parties at the holiday inn holidome. we would have to drive past the westwood to get there and my friends and i dubbed it the roach motel and asked our parents if we could have a bday party there, where the games would consist of who could find the most roaches, etc. never came to fruition.

It used to boast 'Color TV' on its sign 'til about ten years ago.

They were painting parts of it this summer and seemed to be doing a few other "renovations."  I didn't understand it.  At that point I think you just accept a certain level of shitty or you burn the whole place down.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
wildcatsxv

Almost on scholarship
Post #652
MyFanPage
Add Buddy   
EVERYONE HEADING TO THE PINSTRIPE BOWL-please read   Reply
This is going to sound like a joke, but I want to take a minute to warn everyone of a very serious issue regarding NYC travel, and its almost reaching epidemic status in the states. I hope at least some people familiarize themselves with this problem because it is a huge worry.

This problem is bedbugs. And no, they arent the cute little nightime saying we are all familiar with. They are real, live, parasitic bugs that are almost impossible to kill (like DDT is the only thing that kills them...)

I had a bad experience from a work trip to albany, and i spend a lot of time in NYC hotels being from boston and working down there. I was oblivious to this until I woke up with half dollar sized welts all over my body. Worse than that, after I learned it was bed bugs, I started doing research and the emotional toll of wondering if they had travelled home with me and infested my home was devestating.

There are several resources documenting where bed bug outbreaks have happened, and there are several websites that have checklists for what to do once you get to your hotel to avoid bringing them home with you and to check for their presence. Remember, bed bugs dont indicate lack of cleanliness, care, or anything. In fact, a high percentage of them infest upper middle class and up because these people are more likely to share hotels with Europeans that are stateside, and Europeans have a high bed bug rate. But frankly, they are attracted by the CO2 let off by our bodies and eat blood, so once they are there, anyone is at risk.

I dont mean to scare anyone, and if you are prepared, there is not much to be scared of. A few google searches will get you on your way.

I personally am still heading to the bowl, and cant wait! Safe travels everyone.

Posted on 12/4 10:05 AM | IP: Logged

eightmanking

New walk-on to the team
Post #8
MyFanPage
Add Buddy   
Re: EVERYONE HEADING TO THE PINSTRIPE BOWL-please read   Reply
I would be more afraid of Herpes or the clap! Those whores in NYC are nasty!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
lol
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
Anyone been through Hooker, OK lately? If you are driving south through Hooker the first motel on the right....I stayed in that thing like 18 years ago when it was open.