Author Topic: If I could put together a defensive staff...  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
If I could put together a defensive staff...
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »
If I were Snyder, and I want to keep coaching, here's what I'd do in the off-season to increase the level of defensive coaching and recruiting.  This assume that Cosh is fired, Joe Bob is pushed into 'exploring other career options', and Latimore retires.  I know that the likelihood of these things happening is remote at best, but I'm going to dream.

Also, before anyone starts jumping all over me about Leavitt being the HCIW, I'm going to also assume in my dream world that Del Miller retires in the next year or two, and Snyder goes and finds some young, offensive guy to groom as the replacement.  Like this guy after Les Miles eventually gets fired: http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Year=2011&Sport=1&Coach=282.

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers: Jim Leavitt (Also gets the "Assistant Head Coach" tag to justify increase in pay).
Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line: Chris Wilson (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=84&Team=57&Sport=1&Year=2011)
Cornerbacks: Wesley McGriff (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Year=2011&Sport=1&Coach=108)
Safeties: Keith Burns

Leavitt would bring two things: One, he brings an immense amount of experience to the table.  Like him or not, he was actually a very successful coach considering the fact that he basically made a football program from scratch in D1-AA, made the move to D1-A, and guided them into a BCS conference.  All with an overall winning record.  That deserves and commands respect.  The second thing he brings to the table is intensity.  When you're working with a group lacking in talent, you need someone to push them every day.  Leavitt is that guy.  Also, the guy knows Florida like the back of his hand, so he'd have a lot of "ins" with high school coaches there.

Also, as a bonus, if something happens to Snyder, health wise, in the next few years, Leavitt would be a decent guy to bring out of the bullpen to finish off a season.

Chris Wilson is a guy that I've had my eye on for a while.  The guy is originally from Texas, went to Oklahoma, and he spent ten years coaching in the Big 12 between Colorado and OU.  His recruiting territory was Texas and Louisiana, two of our biggest states at this point.  He's been a part of the Mississippi State resurgence, and if we put the right money together, you never know.

Adding McGriff would be awesome.  The dude knows Texas and Florida, so we'd have a capable recruiter in those areas.   It would also allow us to spread out and give more individual coaching to the defensive secondary, and if this season is any indicator, they need it.

Anyway, that would be the staff I'd assemble.  Put Wilson up in the box and give him responsibility.  Let Leavitt coach on the field.  Get McGriff on the road and let him work his magic.

THAT would be a defensive staff I could be proud of.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: If I could put together a defensive staff...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »
Actually, with Chris Wilson, you do know.  No rough ridin' way would he make that move.

Why don't we just hire Dan Mullen for head coach?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
Randy Shannon is available

catzacker

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
another unlikely scenario you forgot to mention is that these coaches would actually like to work for snyder, which other than Leavitt I think is a bigger leap than Del and Mo leaving and JoeBob working at a meat packing plant.  but I guess you said "dream" so that covers a lot of things. 

I'd take that defensive staff, sans leavitt, with Gus or Venzy as HC.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:24 AM »
hey, I have an idea guys.

Let's hire urban meyer as OC/HCIW and maybe his defensive staff will follow him here.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
Should not need a hciw tag to get leavitt and would be a polarizing HC hire for the fan base anyways. He and usf are a good story but he didn't compete in that weak big east as well as he could've. I am afraid, though, that he is one of few assts worth a hullabaloo who will put up with working for the weird old man and hence the mcgriff's etc won't come. Would be in favor of turning it all over to BV for relatively cheap and keeping HC experience behind him ala leavitt, burns, dimel (kind of like the Gill hire except that staff is as burned out as Bill's)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »
What good assistant coach is going to come to this dumpster fire of a program while Bill Bowterno is still in charge?

There is literally zero benefit to coming to K-State to work under a coach who has one foot out the door while the AD works behind the scenes to find his replacement. K-State offers no guarantees to a young assistant. Well, I take that back. K-State can guarantee 20-hour work days in Bill's boot camp.

Not worth the trouble.

Offline blowthewhistle

• Fan
  • The pride of the Warhawks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »
Was this thread just a "hey let's throw out every way out of our league assistant coach that we've dreamed of before and act like we could put them all together at once" thread? Cuz that's what you just did...

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 12:37:22 PM »
Crap, I'd just take Mo retiring and Snyder hiring a DL/Co-OC to take over crap from Cosh. 

Mo is ready for retirement - has been for some time - and I'm seeing bad work on the DL, so why not.  And Cosh gets to save some face while being pushed to look for a new job.

Standing pat on the D staff, that is what scares me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
What good assistant coach is going to come to this dumpster fire of a program while Bill Bowterno is still in charge?

you should post more often

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »

K-State football should be interesting more often.

The Currie/Snyder relationship is the only thing that interests me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
Mo is ready for retirement - has been for some time - and I'm seeing bad work on the DL, so why not.  

Um, pretty sure the best KSU DL's in history were coached by Mo.  You can't fire him after all he's done for us.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 01:16:32 PM »
Was this thread just a "hey let's throw out every way out of our league assistant coach that we've dreamed of before and act like we could put them all together at once" thread? Cuz that's what you just did...

This thread was a way to kill a few minutes while I waited for everyone in my house to wake up this morning.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »

K-State football should be interesting more often.

The Currie/Snyder relationship is the only thing that interests me.

Bullshit, you barely posted when prince was hc and that was the most interesting time in college football history.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
Bullcac, you barely posted when prince was hc and that was the most interesting time in college football history.

OK, I'll come clean. It's the censors.  :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »
Bullcac, you barely posted when prince was hc and that was the most interesting time in college football history.

OK, I'll come clean. It's the censors.  :frown:

super secret high message board IQ input for secret members only:
You can turn off the word filter in your settings

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »

There is literally zero benefit to coming to K-State to work under a coach who has one foot out the door while the AD works behind the scenes to find his replacement. K-State offers no guarantees to a young assistant. Well, I take that back. K-State can guarantee 20-hour work days in Bill's boot camp.

Not worth the trouble.

Realistically, this is one of the two biggest issues in working under Bill.

The other is that you know he will micromanage your ass off.  Who wants either of those?  No one.

It just doesn't make any sense to keep bill.  He won't be around long enough to bring in truly young guys and make them what the tards thinks he can and no one who is already known to be solid wants the above two things.

Offline Dave Wooderson

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »

Not worth the trouble.

Realistically, this is one of the two biggest issues in working under Bill.

The other is that you know he will micromanage your ass off.  Who wants either of those?  No one.

It just doesn't make any sense to keep bill.  He won't be around long enough to bring in truly young guys and make them what the tards thinks he can and no one who is already known to be solid wants the above two things.

Don't forget that the players can talk to the media but the Assistant Coaches better shut the eff up at all times, because they are too stupid and need to get back to work, cause they've only put in 16 hours today.  Lazy fuckwads.
Wait a minute guys... I don't play golf... for money... against people.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
Don't forget that the players can talk to the media but the Assistant Coaches better shut the eff up at all times, because they are too stupid and need to get back to work, cause they've only put in 16 hours today.  Lazy fuckwads.

This is a great post folks