Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4691807 times)

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #1300 on: May 15, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »

Detroit will wake up at some point and dominate the division.

I agree. This season is a waste. No need trading away talent yet.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 15, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »

Detroit will wake up at some point and dominate the division.

I agree. This season is a waste. No need trading away talent yet.

Yep, this. Unless Cabrera, Verlander, & Fielder all suddenly get injured for the remainder of the season.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 15, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
I don't think the Royals goal is to win the Central this year. I think the goal is to be .500, with no additions to the current roster.

I think this has been the Royals' party line since since early 2000s when we dealt Damon, Beltran, Dye, etc.  We were going to compete when Butler and Gordon were brought up.  Then we were going to compete when Hosmer and Moustakis were brought up.  Then Montgomery and Duffy were going to be the answer.  Maybe Cain and Will Myers will be the answer.  Maybe all of our prospects will be amazing.  Until that future event - which is impossible to predict - occurs, our goal isn't to win the Division.  Let's just keep waiting and hoping.  It will all magically come together one of these years.  I'm sure of it.   

Well, the fact is that 24 games into the season, the Royals are a few arms away from competing at the top of the Division.  We've got the strongest bullpen we've had in the past 20 years.  Our bats as good or better than any team in a decade.  If we had an Ace, we would compete to win the Division THIS YEAR.  Fact. 

If we're not willing to make moves or spend money to compete to win the Division this year, why do we have confidence that this team will be in a more competitive spot next year or the next year or the year after that?  Our bats are here.  We need pitching.  And we need it desperately.  And it's not coming up through the system.  Montgomery and Odirizzi are our top pitching prospects.  Are we going to be more competitive in '13 because of those guys?  NO.  We'll be competitive when we go out onto the market and spend $15mil for an Ace.  Maybe that's Greinke?  We're gonna have to do it before next season.  Might as well just do it now.   

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
Strike while the iron is hot, I always say. I just checked the iron, and it's kinda warm. Like, I can leave my finger on it for One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, then it starts to feel hot. I dunno if that is hot enough to strike yet.  :dunno:

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 15, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
i do not agree with that Belvis. But to each their own.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »

Will our pitching be better next year if we don't add an arm through free agency or a trade? 

Will our team be more competitive in '13 if our pitching isn't better? 

The answer to both question is no. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 15, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »
I don't think the Royals goal is to win the Central this year. I think the goal is to be .500, with no additions to the current roster.

I think this has been the Royals' party line since since early 2000s when we dealt Damon, Beltran, Dye, etc.  We were going to compete when Butler and Gordon were brought up.  Then we were going to compete when Hosmer and Moustakis were brought up.  Then Montgomery and Duffy were going to be the answer.  Maybe Cain and Will Myers will be the answer.  Maybe all of our prospects will be amazing.  Until that future event - which is impossible to predict - occurs, our goal isn't to win the Division.  Let's just keep waiting and hoping.  It will all magically come together one of these years.  I'm sure of it.   

Well, the fact is that 24 games into the season, the Royals are a few arms away from competing at the top of the Division.  We've got the strongest bullpen we've had in the past 20 years.  Our bats as good or better than any team in a decade.  If we had an Ace, we would compete to win the Division THIS YEAR.  Fact. 

If we're not willing to make moves or spend money to compete to win the Division this year, why do we have confidence that this team will be in a more competitive spot next year or the next year or the year after that?  Our bats are here.  We need pitching.  And we need it desperately.  And it's not coming up through the system.  Montgomery and Odirizzi are our top pitching prospects.  Are we going to be more competitive in '13 because of those guys?  NO.  We'll be competitive when we go out onto the market and spend $15mil for an Ace.  Maybe that's Greinke?  We're gonna have to do it before next season.  Might as well just do it now.

Exactly, betting on the farm producing the starting pitching to get the Royals into the playoffs is a fool's bet.  The point people are trying to make about it not being the year to go out and get the arms is bullshit.  The time is fine, and who says the guy they sign will only be here for one year.  At the very least then getting the pitcher in the offseason is absolutely paramount, and if that is the case, then why not just get the arm now instead (assuming you could lock the guy up for a couple years).
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
The Royals can afford to spend some money right now. I only favor giving up prospects if it looks like they have a legitimate shot at competing for the Central at the trade deadline. They absolutely have to do something this offseason, though.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 15, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
Can we get an ace for Getz? We should try to get an ace for Getz. Maybe throw in that little italian utility infielder guy.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 15, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

Will our pitching be better next year if we don't add an arm through free agency or a trade? 

lmao. you got me there.
- chunkles

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 15, 2012, 06:12:05 PM »
The bats aren't that great by the way.  But carry on belvis.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 15, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »
 :bwpopcorn:

The bats on this team are as good or better than any royals roster in 10 years.  No question.  Feel free to throw out some other royals lineups if u disagree, though. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 15, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »

lmao. you got me there.

Seriously , though, there really isn't any disagreement that our farm isn't making our rotation better in '13 is there?  So, assuming we're serious about upgrading our rotation (bold assumption I know), why wait until next season to do so? 

Online Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 15, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
Mizzou SEC commercial  :lol:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »

lmao. you got me there.

Seriously , though, there really isn't any disagreement that our farm isn't making our rotation better in '13 is there?  So, assuming we're serious about upgrading our rotation (bold assumption I know), why wait until next season to do so? 

making any moves during this season would not be smart, imo. They can make some moves for pitchers in the offseason though. They need Perez and Cain to be healthy for a run.
- chunkles

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 15, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »
:bwpopcorn:

The bats on this team are as good or better than any royals roster in 10 years.  No question.  Feel free to throw out some other royals lineups if u disagree, though.

Oh this team is better than a 10 year run of some of the worst baseball in modern history?  Pop the champagne boys!  We're better than Emile Brown and tony pena jr!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:42 PM »
Hey Angel Berroa!  You f'ing suck!  Alicedes Escobar home slice!  Mike Aviles?  Getz that trash out of here!  LOL Joey Gathright! 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »

Oh this team is better than a 10 year run of some of the worst baseball in modern history?  Pop the champagne boys!  We're better than Emile Brown and tony pena jr!

Well, that's kind of the point.  We've rough ridin' sucked ass for a decade.  And every year we suck, we shy away from upgrading the roster through trades and free agency because we're not "ready to compete."  We're always waiting for the Butlers, Gordons, Greinkes, Hosmers, Moustakises, Duffys to arrive.  But then they do arrive and we are still "not ready" for whatever reason.  Now we're waiting for next year for Perez and Cain to get healthy.  And in '13 we'll be waiting for Will Myers.  And in '14 we'll be waiting for Bubba Starling.  And in '15 we'll be waiting for some other guy.  And by the time we're finally "ready to compete," Hosmer and Butler will have been traded for more prospects.

When will the cycle end?  At a certain point, I think you have to stop "waiting" for a farm prospect to fill your holes.  You need to go out and trade or spend money in free agency to fill the hole.  With the offensive talent we have on this roster, why shouldn't we fill that hole right now?  this year?     

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
I think kk is being too critical and BN is being too optimistic.  IMO.

team has to have starting pitching.  and will have to pay for it.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:38 AM »
Myers and Odorizzi promoted to AAA.
- chunkles

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »
whos going to caturdays game?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »

Maybe I am.  But, I'm not saying we should win the Division.  I just think we have the talent (sans pitching) to compete for the Division.  Cleveland is a decent club, but they're not great.  Yet, they're competing in the Division.  If we had another solid starting pitcher or two, I have no doubt that this team would be +.500 and, in this Division this year, that would be very competitive. 

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
I will be attending Tomorrow's.
- chunkles

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
Going Friday.  Buck Night, too. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 16, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »

Maybe I am.  But, I'm not saying we should win the Division.  I just think we have the talent (sans pitching) to compete for the Division.  Cleveland is a decent club, but they're not great.  Yet, they're competing in the Division.  If we had another solid starting pitcher or two, I have no doubt that this team would be +.500 and, in this Division this year, that would be very competitive. 

maybe, the pitchign would have to be pretty elite though.  our offense and defense is good enough to have a 500 team with average starting pitching.

we don't have any elite hitters.  Got to have a couple of those to get you into contention discussions.