Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4691739 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #75725 on: April 03, 2024, 03:45:29 PM »
is there a dax for pro sports team finances

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75726 on: April 03, 2024, 03:49:51 PM »
is there a dax for pro sports team finances

yep, profits by the fucktons and you get to keep them a secret and tell people you don't have money for your own stadium or to pay players. Its a sweet ass deal.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75727 on: April 03, 2024, 04:35:02 PM »
Mayor Q just said its probably best if the teams split. Makes you wonder if this was maybe the plan all along.  :jeffy:

Chiefs definitely put that vibe out there.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75728 on: April 03, 2024, 04:37:54 PM »
Mayor Q just said its probably best if the teams split. Makes you wonder if this was maybe the plan all along.  :jeffy:

Chiefs definitely put that vibe out there.

Yeah, Royals crapped the bed but as bad they did the Chiefs did that bad respective to the Royals crapping the bed on this.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #75729 on: April 03, 2024, 04:52:18 PM »
Q said what?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75730 on: April 03, 2024, 05:23:33 PM »
Q said what?
Split from each other for the next vote, not split from kc

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #75731 on: April 03, 2024, 07:25:54 PM »
What usually happens in situations where a team leaves a city? What percent of fans say "eff this, I'm a Cardinals fan now" vs. what percent say "I can't turn off my Royals fandom"? And what if they change their names, does that change the percentages? Also, it's rough ridin' baseball, so how many fans just stop following the sport all together? It's pretty tough to be invested in baseball if you're not watching a team regularly.
I haven't watched a royals game on TV in a couple of years (besides randomly being at a bar/restaurant where it's on TV) due to the whole Bally's fiasco and have definitely lost interest in the sport.

I still go to a couple of games a year but if they left I would probably never watch another baseball game in my life.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75732 on: April 03, 2024, 08:48:47 PM »
i know that the mayor of nashville has been talking to the royals dating back to late last year, but I don’t think it means anything.  neither team is leaving.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #75733 on: April 03, 2024, 08:53:57 PM »
I've known Freddie since college. He's a good guy, but he's a lightweight. I doubt he could secure the bag.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75734 on: April 04, 2024, 09:13:07 AM »
IMO, nothing would be more disappointing then to see the Royals do something like move/build a stadium near the race track. If they're going to do that, then just refurbish The K and be done with it as far as I am concerned.

KC is not the ATL metro, the Royals artificial city will just consist of more chain restaurants and chain stores. It works at The Battery because ATL is huge and is still getting a massive influx of newcomers and transplants, and has a much larger corporate environment.

KC needs a downtown boutique ballpark, or just don't bother.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #75735 on: April 04, 2024, 09:25:27 AM »
I'd rather have an artisanal ballpark than a boutique ballpark tbh
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #75736 on: April 04, 2024, 10:04:59 AM »
So is Smellinger gonna get canned for this? Seems like he did he job poorly.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75737 on: April 04, 2024, 10:29:18 AM »

As the royals' VP of communications, he absolutely should be. In his defense, the royals probably put him in a bad place by constantly changing plans. But the only thing I've seen from him on twitter was amplifying a bullshit story about voters being turned away from the polls for wearing chiefs/royals gear. Inexplicable.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #75738 on: April 04, 2024, 10:51:54 AM »
IMO, nothing would be more disappointing then to see the Royals do something like move/build a stadium near the race track. If they're going to do that, then just refurbish The K and be done with it as far as I am concerned.

KC is not the ATL metro, the Royals artificial city will just consist of more chain restaurants and chain stores. It works at The Battery because ATL is huge and is still getting a massive influx of newcomers and transplants, and has a much larger corporate environment.

COMMON GROUND

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75739 on: April 04, 2024, 11:05:18 AM »

As the royals' VP of communications, he absolutely should be. In his defense, the royals probably put him in a bad place by constantly changing plans. But the only thing I've seen from him on twitter was amplifying a bullshit story about voters being turned away from the polls for wearing chiefs/royals gear. Inexplicable.

Yeah, he was put in a shitty spot, but maybe he hired all the dumbasses that worked on this shitty campaign.  :dunno:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75740 on: April 04, 2024, 11:15:35 AM »

COMMON GROUND

that's right

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #75741 on: April 04, 2024, 11:34:05 AM »

Yeah, he was put in a shitty spot, but maybe he hired all the dumbasses that worked on this shitty campaign.  :dunno:

Not saying he isn't culpable, but ...

Royals’ and Chiefs’ ‘vote yes’ tax campaign is headed by former Ron DeSantis strategist
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article286880825.html

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75742 on: April 04, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »
Part of me thinks they botched this thing on purpose for whatever their next actual desired move is. I guess I'm still in disbelief they mumped it up so bad given that with just a bit more thought and planning it would have passed easily.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #75743 on: April 04, 2024, 12:03:33 PM »
Common ground
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75744 on: April 04, 2024, 12:15:40 PM »
I'd rather have an artisanal ballpark than a boutique ballpark tbh

Bazaar Ballpark for me
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #75745 on: April 04, 2024, 12:29:47 PM »

Not saying he isn't culpable, but ...

Royals’ and Chiefs’ ‘vote yes’ tax campaign is headed by former Ron DeSantis strategist
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article286880825.html

The assumption that sports writers/columnists - often the laziest cross-section of "journalists" who are spoonfed 95% of what they write about - can just stroll into a corporate comms job and know what they're doing from the outset is... something.

That said, in this case, Mellinger was likely just along for the ride with other people calling the shots and him following orders. He might have had some input, but I doubt it was substantive.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75746 on: April 04, 2024, 01:22:51 PM »
Part of me thinks they botched this thing on purpose for whatever their next actual desired move is. I guess I'm still in disbelief they mumped it up so bad given that with just a bit more thought and planning it would have passed easily.

The replacement Sam M. is doing great work

https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/status/1775687814669107627?t=8cbviGeRJUz_q8BrBvTy2g&s=19

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75747 on: April 04, 2024, 01:26:33 PM »
This is a good thread, and this answer in particular is the closest the royals have come to explaining why they abandoned East Village. It sounds like it was driven by opportunities presented in crossroads as opposed to some obstruction in east village. This makes me more hopeful they try east village in round 2 (assuming they try round 2 in jackson county of course)

https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/status/1775706575392399567?t=zDv-ie_S_suuwLYSrR5lGA&s=19

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75748 on: April 04, 2024, 01:29:00 PM »
this poll only had 233 votes from whatever twitter users happened to see it, but still. It's so dang obvious

https://twitter.com/_chandler_____/status/1775354143273562589?t=eI3vGNHVYt22Xt4AvmdMOw&s=19

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #75749 on: April 04, 2024, 01:33:15 PM »
I've seen enough. That confirms it.