Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4686769 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #75625 on: March 08, 2024, 02:58:30 PM »
Yeah, I don't see the Royals leaving the area as a threat.  Nashville can start from scratch and not get stuck with an owner like sherman.

I was so happy when Glass sold. Who would have thought the new guy would suck ass this bad too. I've actually heard some of the other minority owners aren't too pleased with him either.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75626 on: March 08, 2024, 03:19:51 PM »
I still wish it was in East Village, but even if this passes I think like everything that has ever happened to KC in the last decade plus I've been in it (thinking specifically street car and the airport) at first everyone hates it, and then once it's done everyone loves it, or can't believe we put up with the way it was before. KC is nothing but creatures of habit (and honestly more places are like that than not), and often just can't imagine it another way until it does happen.

this is not like the streetcar or the airport. the streetcar provides a service that did not exist and improves the downtown experience for people living, working, or visiting downtown. the new airport replaced an old one that was outdated, and improves the airport experience for people who live in kc or are visiting kc.

neither of those projects required the destruction of an already successful entity. if the royals get what they want yes of course "it will be fine" but we will have lost the crossroads as one of the few cool historic and walkable neighborhoods full of local businesses. it is inevitable that these will be lost to more surface lots / chains once the local businesses are priced out by the property owners looking to capitalize.

on top of that, as everyone knows this makes no fiscal sense. we are using public money to pay a billionaire to build a baseball stadium, losing the current revenue produced by the existing properties and businesses. the city will own the building (worthless for anything besides a professional baseball team), and the team will own the valuable real estate it sits on, but pay no property tax. this arrangement would be a lot more palatable if the stadium was going to exist in an undeveloped area (east village). the city would be getting something for that money. in other words, paying Sherman to build in EV is questionable. paying Sherman to build in the crossroads is indefensible.

this project feels a lot more like the 1950's construction of the highway ring around downtown than it does the streetcar or airport. there are only downsides, but we'll be able to say "downtown kansas city has a baseball stadium". i'm sure people that don't live or spend time downtown will love it.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75627 on: March 08, 2024, 03:52:58 PM »
I still wish it was in East Village, but even if this passes I think like everything that has ever happened to KC in the last decade plus I've been in it (thinking specifically street car and the airport) at first everyone hates it, and then once it's done everyone loves it, or can't believe we put up with the way it was before. KC is nothing but creatures of habit (and honestly more places are like that than not), and often just can't imagine it another way until it does happen.

this is not like the streetcar or the airport. the streetcar provides a service that did not exist and improves the downtown experience for people living, working, or visiting downtown. the new airport replaced an old one that was outdated, and improves the airport experience for people who live in kc or are visiting kc.

neither of those projects required the destruction of an already successful entity. if the royals get what they want yes of course "it will be fine" but we will have lost the crossroads as one of the few cool historic and walkable neighborhoods full of local businesses. it is inevitable that these will be lost to more surface lots / chains once the local businesses are priced out by the property owners looking to capitalize.

on top of that, as everyone knows this makes no fiscal sense. we are using public money to pay a billionaire to build a baseball stadium, losing the current revenue produced by the existing properties and businesses. the city will own the building (worthless for anything besides a professional baseball team), and the team will own the valuable real estate it sits on, but pay no property tax. this arrangement would be a lot more palatable if the stadium was going to exist in an undeveloped area (east village). the city would be getting something for that money. in other words, paying Sherman to build in EV is questionable. paying Sherman to build in the crossroads is indefensible.

this project feels a lot more like the 1950's construction of the highway ring around downtown than it does the streetcar or airport. there are only downsides, but we'll be able to say "downtown kansas city has a baseball stadium". i'm sure people that don't live or spend time downtown will love it.

Yep, and the worst part is that this is going to pass by at least 10%. Can't wait for the new Guy Fieri restaurants to take over Casual Animal and The Brick.  :sdeek:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75628 on: March 08, 2024, 06:06:30 PM »

Yeah the impacts on the XR is the biggest negative I'm scared shitless of. I've taken solace in other cities around their downtown baseball stadium hasn't really made that huge of a change in even the close surrounds. Even the storied Coors field, LoDo was already growing, and the other side of it is still pretty meh. I went to a delicious mexican dive that had been there for 75 years called Mexico City last time I was in Denver. It was spitting distance to the Coors Field front doors. https://maps.app.goo.gl/We7hdknoXUh6AgseA

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75629 on: March 10, 2024, 12:55:47 PM »

"worthless for anything besides a professional baseball team"

mocat that part was a bit over the top

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75630 on: March 11, 2024, 09:31:02 AM »
? the city would own a baseball stadium without a team in that scenario. Not like it can be turned into apartments. I don't understand why that's the part that was over the top

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75631 on: March 11, 2024, 11:35:47 AM »
Did I miss that the Royals are moving but we're moving forward with the stadium?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75632 on: March 11, 2024, 11:59:46 AM »
Did I miss that the Royals are moving but we're moving forward with the stadium?

What does the city gain from owning the baseball stadium? Do the Royals pay rent?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75633 on: March 11, 2024, 12:03:30 PM »
I assume it could at least function as a concert venue April Thru October at a minimum.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75634 on: March 11, 2024, 01:51:04 PM »

What does the city gain from owning the baseball stadium? Do the Royals pay rent?

It's technically the county. Royals buy up land, hand it over to county, county builds building, royals sign lease to be in building.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75635 on: March 12, 2024, 08:56:38 AM »
Assuming this is correct it appears a good swath of land is already not contributing much to tax revenues anyways:

https://dashboards.mysidewalk.com/state-of-the-downtown-kcmo/tax-revenue

Obviously not as much as EV would be, but also that isn't non zero loss.

Honestly I think knowing my own arrangements. and a ton of other areas down in the KC area, many tax abatements are coming to and end 2028-2030, and they probably think they'll recoup that (and more). Hell they are making more cause of streetcar and people flocking in.

IMO to say it's a giant handover of tax revenue to the city based on that is not great but not some doom and gloom. Also most of those businesses I suspect in the area are due to have said rise in taxes in the coming years are abatements lapse, and that might hurt businesses Royals or no.

Just trying to bring some info from this, cause honestly thinking about it this morning in the shower, and really my entire exercise in buying a place so recently it seems like every damn property you can get in downtown in tax abated, till 2030 ish. Not saying this is right, not saying we the taxpayers are should foot said bill, but I think that's the logic the city is seeing is these abatements lapse, revenue bouncing back up to cover any loss in a property area that currently 1/3 of it is providing $0, and the businesses around that one way or another have revenues spike cause of abatement lapses. I just think city sees it as money in, money out and a parcel of land going to zero gets make up elsewhere in all the cuts it gave elsewhere gong away in time. my  :th_twocents:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75637 on: March 18, 2024, 10:12:29 AM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #75638 on: March 20, 2024, 08:18:04 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75639 on: March 21, 2024, 10:46:58 AM »
Royals trying to see how bad they can do everything and still get that money

https://twitter.com/royalsreview/status/1770816555799945539?t=YCDhYHG8C2tMbdpQQzUnkA&s=19

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75640 on: March 21, 2024, 10:50:04 AM »
Sherman just looks like a smarmy $!#*
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75641 on: March 21, 2024, 10:50:36 AM »
Royals trying to see how bad they can do everything and still get that money

https://twitter.com/royalsreview/status/1770816555799945539?t=YCDhYHG8C2tMbdpQQzUnkA&s=19

Sherman appears to be a real dickhead.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75642 on: March 21, 2024, 11:36:25 AM »
I don't think it's going to pass

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75643 on: March 21, 2024, 11:54:58 AM »
I don't think it's going to pass

It will pass. I give this iteration a 70% chance. If it doesn't they will be back and it will pass the 2nd time. People won't deny Patrick mahomes twice

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75644 on: March 21, 2024, 11:57:06 AM »
it would be amazing if the county's voters forced them to come back a second time with 1) an actual plan 2) that doesn't suck

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75645 on: March 21, 2024, 01:35:06 PM »
it would be amazing if the county's voters forced them to come back a second time with 1) an actual plan 2) that doesn't suck

This is what bothers me the most about it. He is just literally saying give me money and we will probably build a new stadium downtown somewhere. On top of that, the rough ridin' Chiefs, who's owner is worth 10 times as much staying the eff out of it, but will only in rare occasion say, give me 2 billion dollars so I can put up 9 tents in the parking lot where the K used to be or we will leave. Neither owner is even trying to hide the fact that they just want taxpayer money and will probably pocket a lot of it. At least lie to us!!!!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75647 on: March 23, 2024, 01:05:11 AM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75648 on: March 27, 2024, 11:52:44 AM »
Now Oak will stay open? Huh?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75649 on: March 27, 2024, 12:15:34 PM »
Now Oak will stay open? Huh?

Again, they have no idea what they are going to do and just want taxpayers to give them money. I'm sure they will spend some of it on a downtown stadium, but where, when, or what it will look like.....  :dunno: