Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4765196 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #45950 on: September 03, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
didn't someone post an article about how all of cueto's problems lately were because his cutter decided to suck for a bit?  so no big, deal, they fix the cutter and he's back to ace city.  worst case scenario he just doesn't throw the cutter if it's an important game.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45951 on: September 03, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
I'll be at the K too  :horrorsurprise:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45952 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
guys its teh ge night at the k we never could pull off

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45953 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
http://grantland.com/features/2015-mlb-kansas-city-royals-dayton-moore-division-champion/

"To those of us who have lived and died with this franchise for the last 30 years, this is all very confusing — almost as confusing as rooting for a team that’s resting its regulars for the playoffs with five weeks left in the season. That the Royals are the anything of baseball is disorienting enough. For a generation, the Royals were props, redshirts existing only as plot devices. That they are now central characters in baseball’s drama is heady enough; that they are regarded as villains is icing on the cake. Your favorite team can inspire worse emotions than hatred. Pity, for instance."

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45954 on: September 03, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
 :love:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45955 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
They appear a lock to win 90 games for the first time since 1989, which would make them the first team since the 1919-25 Philadelphia A’s to increase their win total six years in a row.

:sdeek:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45956 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
Is Ventura this good right now if we didn't get Cueto?

Dave Eiland gave some good insight into why Ventura has been so effective lately and why he was so bad earlier on in the season. He was terrified of throwing inside and hitting someone, causing more brawls. He was afraid that his teammates would hate him. Lately he has calmed down and grown more confident in owning the inner half of the plate, regardless of the consequences. If I had to label what kind of problem that is, I might label it "mental", even though I was assured by others on this board that it was mechanical and that mental issues don't exist in sports. Maybe it would have even been good to send him down to a lower level of baseball where he could work on that without so much pressure.

Short answer: Yes, Cueto has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45957 on: September 03, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »
http://grantland.com/features/2015-mlb-kansas-city-royals-dayton-moore-division-champion/

"To those of us who have lived and died with this franchise for the last 30 years, this is all very confusing — almost as confusing as rooting for a team that’s resting its regulars for the playoffs with five weeks left in the season. That the Royals are the anything of baseball is disorienting enough. For a generation, the Royals were props, redshirts existing only as plot devices. That they are now central characters in baseball’s drama is heady enough; that they are regarded as villains is icing on the cake. Your favorite team can inspire worse emotions than hatred. Pity, for instance."

So good.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45958 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

Dave Eiland gave some good insight into why Ventura has been so effective lately and why he was so bad earlier on in the season. He was terrified of throwing inside and hitting someone, causing more brawls. He was afraid that his teammates would hate him. Lately he has calmed down and grown more confident in owning the inner half of the plate, regardless of the consequences. If I had to label what kind of problem that is, I might label it "mental", even though I was assured by others on this board that it was mechanical and that mental issues don't exist in sports. Maybe it would have even been good to send him down to a lower level of baseball where he could work on that without so much pressure.

LOL

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45959 on: September 03, 2015, 11:13:33 AM »
I'll be in the Gordo Nation seats this evening. And in and around Craft & Draft

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45960 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:08 AM »
I was always in the camp of Ace's problems being mental, and while I think some of it was just returning to what he did last year, I do think Cueto coming in helped that happen. He's been hearing all season (and even some of last postseason) about how he's the bad guy and his cockiness and swagger make him the villain, etc. Then Cueto comes in and he sees someone who has carried that cockiness and swagger for quite some time now and used it to become one of the top trade targets at the deadline. Then to make it even better it happens to be a guy from his home country who was already chummy with Volquez and it all lines up to help restore his confidence.

Obviously it's impossible to tell either way if he'd be pitching this well without Cueto, so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the fun that is a confident Ace.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45961 on: September 03, 2015, 11:30:30 AM »
The clubhouse chemistry debate.  Is it real?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45962 on: September 03, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
Cueto must be a way better mentor than Volquez. Probably took some kind of motivational speaking course or something.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45963 on: September 03, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Cueto must be a way better mentor than Volquez. Probably took some kind of motivational speaking course or something.
Not trying to downplay Volky's career, but his stat sheet is nowhere close to Cueto's. That matters. It also never hurts to have multiple mentors.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45964 on: September 03, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
Not trying to downplay Volky's career, but his stat sheet is nowhere close to Cueto's. That matters. It also never hurts to have multiple mentors.

It never hurts to have the juice that comes with being very successful, especially in influencing other people, but let's not act like Volquez is some kind of chump. If Ventura couldn't see that Ed had obviously found a very successful formula over the past couple of years, then he's rough ridin' stupid. I don't think that though. I think Dave Eiland was probably telling the truth, and the only thing really wrong with Ventura is that he got the yips when he was asked to throw inside and it was starting to affect his entire performance.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:20:48 PM by ksupamplemousse »

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45965 on: September 03, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »

little nugget - Volky is better this year than Shields was last year. 

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45966 on: September 03, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »

Cueto was probably calling Shields and telling him what to say #lifecoach

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45967 on: September 03, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

Totally agree. But of those 3 pitchers, Volky has had the least hype by far. I love Volky but he doesn't have the same buzz about him as Shields or Cueto.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45968 on: September 03, 2015, 12:30:20 PM »

Totally agree. But of those 3 pitchers, Volky has had the least hype by far. I love Volky but he doesn't have the same buzz about him as Shields or Cueto.

Hype/buzz is much more for fans than players. I mean, you can't suck and expect to have your advice taken very seriously, but you don't have to be the best player on the team to have your advice heeded by other players.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45969 on: September 03, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
everybody shut up

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #45970 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »

Can someone mspaint this post with that douchebag brown hat meme on top of it. tia
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45971 on: September 03, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
That was certainly a constructive post.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45972 on: September 03, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
Volky and Cueto also have different styles. When he's on Cueto just exudes bad ass mothafucker. That's much more in line with the persona Ace takes on than Volky.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45973 on: September 03, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »
By the time Ventura and Cueto were probably able to even develop a casual relationship, Yo's problems were ironed out. Baseball is not an instantaneous game. Problems take a long time to fix usually. Especially ones that last as long as Yo's did this year. The theories amongst our fanbase really show how little our fanbase generally understands the game of baseball.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45974 on: September 03, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
everybody shut up
god damn this. calm down people