Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4694322 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #42175 on: August 02, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »

Why did volqy plunk him to start with? Like did we feel disrespected as a team by him beating the crap out of us?

This is where baseball is still weird to me, but pretty much this seems to be the case. I'm fine with throwing inside more to these guys though so they can't just hit off a tee though.

It's a mental game. If somebody is hitting the crap out of the ball, you throw at him and hope you can get in his head.

It worked, he was completely consumed by it and was a total non factor.  Why havent teams enacted similar strategies at guys like hosmer who are completely on fire though?

They do.  Some hitters adjust by not swinging at the bad inside pitches and taking walks instead.  Donaldson was so pissed he swung harder.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42176 on: August 02, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »

Why did volqy plunk him to start with? Like did we feel disrespected as a team by him beating the crap out of us?

This is where baseball is still weird to me, but pretty much this seems to be the case. I'm fine with throwing inside more to these guys though so they can't just hit off a tee though.

It's a mental game. If somebody is hitting the crap out of the ball, you throw at him and hope you can get in his head.

It worked, he was completely consumed by it and was a total non factor.  Why havent teams enacted similar strategies at guys like hosmer who are completely on fire though?

They do.  Some hitters adjust by not swinging at the bad inside pitches and taking walks instead.  Donaldson was so pissed he swung harder.

They Royals have adjusted by becoming good at hitting inside pitches. Teams keep trying it, that's why they've ended up getting hit so many times, but several Royals have become pretty proficient at pulling their hands in and flicking the ball into the OF.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42177 on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »

Moose hit yesterday and now sitting out today I'm sure added to it.

I didn't get to watch today but them getting all BH over inside pitching is pretty hilarious.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42178 on: August 02, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
while we're talking pitching strategy, why do the royals' throw so many pitches so far out of the strike zone.  like the pitcher will get up 0-2 or 1-2, then throw a couple of pitches a foot low or a foot outside (or both).  so far out that the only mlb hitter in the world that would swing at them is salvy.

is this smart in some bizarre way that makes no sense to me?  if it's not smart, is it salvy's fault for calling them so far out or do the pitchers want them that far out?  if the catcher sets up way out, can the pitcher just decide "eff that, i'm going to throw it right on the corner instead".

since salvy is a catcher, and presumably spends all day thinking about crap like where to call pitches and whatnot, shouldn't he be a little more cognizant of how easy he is to pitch to?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42179 on: August 02, 2015, 09:13:06 PM »
That's not just a Royals thing. Once you have 2 strikes, typically guys are more likey to swing at a pitch just outside the zone, hoping to foul off or put in play. Guys don't like to go down looking, so they start reaching. Watch Lorenzo Cain's ABs today. His first 2 Ks were swings on bad pitches, and the one he hit for a single later was another bad pitch. That stuff is pretty common in baseball

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42180 on: August 02, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »
Yordano just tweeted a bunch of junk in Espanol to Bautista but then deleted it

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42181 on: August 02, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »
Screenshots are your friend!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #42183 on: August 02, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
Yordano just tweeted a bunch of junk in Espanol to Bautista but then deleted it

anyone?

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42184 on: August 02, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
How did I completely forget Donaldson was on the A's last year....

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42185 on: August 02, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »
Yordano ACE Ventura @YordanoVentura
#yo asumo lo que digo yo no tengo miedo no conozco eso lo perdi cuando tenia 10 años que me dejaron solo en medio del mar y sali,, Y fuera????????

:dunno:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42186 on: August 02, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »
I assume what i have no corners is the have ten years that alone medical and sale.

^
4 semester of spanish and that's what I got

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42187 on: August 02, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »
I enjoy swagger.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42188 on: August 02, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »
I assume what i have no corners is the have ten years that alone medical and sale.

^
4 semester of spanish and that's what I got

Google translate is better

'I take what I say I have no fear I know that I lost it when I was 10 years left me alone at sea and stepped'
@Trogdor_gE

The Big Train

« Reply #42189 on: August 02, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
it makes total sense now

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42190 on: August 02, 2015, 10:08:42 PM »
Did anyone see Donaldson's postgame? He said we threw at his head, and Tulo got hit in the chest. He is a baby

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42191 on: August 02, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »
Did anyone see Donaldson's postgame? He said we threw at his head, and Tulo got hit in the chest. He is a baby

Him and Lawrie must have traded more than just teams

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42192 on: August 02, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
That's not just a Royals thing. Once you have 2 strikes, typically guys are more likey to swing at a pitch just outside the zone, hoping to foul off or put in play. Guys don't like to go down looking, so they start reaching. Watch Lorenzo Cain's ABs today. His first 2 Ks were swings on bad pitches, and the one he hit for a single later was another bad pitch. That stuff is pretty common in baseball

yeah, i get that.  but these are not pitches just outside the zone.  they're like way the eff outside the zone.  and i don't think they're wild, because they just got done popping two strikes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42193 on: August 02, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »

I'm fine with them not cheering for us against the Twins/Angels WC winner.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #42194 on: August 02, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
To be fair, we did get the benefit of the doubt today. I would have been pissed if I was a Jays fan, but that would also mean I would have to like Canada. :lol:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Royals
« Reply #42195 on: August 02, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »

Okay, here goes with the help of _FANw. (Order of tweets from bottom up)

You are with me or you are not. This is how we have to play and stop giving signals.

You saved me from a lot in life, but I'm not out of the big leagues this year, so keep saying what you want.

After we'll see, so you can say it to my face. No one is important to me (What people say doesn't matter) and I used to respect you, but now you are no one to me.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42196 on: August 02, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »
To be fair, we did get the benefit of the doubt today. I would have been pissed if I was a Jays fan, but that would also mean I would have to like Canada. :lol:

Why?  Because we pitched inside?  Sanchez got tossed for one reason...as soon as he hit my man Esky, he started beefing.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42197 on: August 02, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »

Okay, here goes with the help of _FANw. (Order of tweets from bottom up)

You are with me or you are not. This is how we have to play and stop giving signals.

You saved me from a lot in life, but I'm not out of the big leagues this year, so keep saying what you want.

After we'll see, so you can say it to my face. No one is important to me (What people say doesn't matter) and I used to respect you, but now you are no one to me.

that last one  :ROFL:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42198 on: August 02, 2015, 10:34:12 PM »
_FANw says this is sort of like trying to translate the text of the Drake/Meek Mill feud, ie. not always easy to understand because of trash talk slang.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #42199 on: August 02, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »

Why?  Because we pitched inside?  Sanchez got tossed for one reason...as soon as he hit my man Esky, he started beefing.
We've always been on the other side of these things tho. We definitely hit them a lot this weekend. It was a fun series.