Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4691248 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #25050 on: October 01, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
I'm the biggest Ned basher around, and he needs to quit doing dumb stuff, but is it possible that the comeback was due to his leadership? The game was a microcosm of the season. Get down, come back with a lead, get WAY down, come WAY back defying odds, get down AGAIN, come back AGAIN and win. The level of personal belief that team has is incredible, and Ned deserves the credit. Let me tell you, the Tigers or the Angels do not come back the way the Royals did.

It might be possible that the building of confidence that Ned has done for the team was worth the ineptitude as a tactician. 

Nice post. No doubt he had a major part in building that.

I'm not a Ned basher by any means but also not really a supporter.  Kind of indifferent.  I think baseball managers get too much credit/blame when things go good/bad.  It's a players game.

But my main question about your post cf3 is why do you think Ned should get the credit for the team's resilience?  I mean, maybe you're right but what has he done/said/demonstrated that would make you think that.  What has he done better/or different than other managers to instill this belief?  I mean you could just as easily say that the veterans on the team have instilled the personal belief in the themselves that this team has.

Yeah what Wacky said. He says over and over that Hos, Moose, Cain, Esky, Salvy, etc are good hitters and he trusts them. When players make mistakes, he doesn't throw them under the bus, and he always gives them credit. Also, he doesn't seem to ride the emotion of a game the way some managers (think Ozzie Guillen or Frank Robinson etc.) and stays pretty calm and cool. I think the players reflect that. He doesn't panic and neither do they. Now if he could make good tactical moves on top of that......

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25051 on: October 01, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »
IMHO, there's some definite similarities between Yost and Andy Reid. Both have an amazing ability to get players to buy in and bring it every game. Both also have some serious flaws in their handling of certain situations.

Personally I think Reid is 10x the manager/coach Ned is, but there's some definite parallels.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25052 on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
Vargy is going to get lit.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #25053 on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
I like the "throw away the Weaver game and put everything into games 2-4 strategy"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25054 on: October 01, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
unless we're up in like the 5th then bring on Ventura

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25055 on: October 01, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm the biggest Ned basher around, and he needs to quit doing dumb stuff, but is it possible that the comeback was due to his leadership? The game was a microcosm of the season. Get down, come back with a lead, get WAY down, come WAY back defying odds, get down AGAIN, come back AGAIN and win. The level of personal belief that team has is incredible, and Ned deserves the credit. Let me tell you, the Tigers or the Angels do not come back the way the Royals did.

It might be possible that the building of confidence that Ned has done for the team was worth the ineptitude as a tactician. 

I'm not a Ned basher by any means but also not really a supporter.  Kind of indifferent.  I think baseball managers get too much credit/blame when things go good/bad.  It's a players game.

But my main question about your post cf3 is why do you think Ned should get the credit for the team's resilience?  I mean, maybe you're right but what has he done/said/demonstrated that would make you think that.  What has he done better/or different than other managers to instill this belief?  I mean you could just as easily say that the veterans on the team have instilled the personal belief in the themselves that this team has.

Yeah what Wacky said. He says over and over that Hos, Moose, Cain, Esky, Salvy, etc are good hitters and he trusts them. When players make mistakes, he doesn't throw them under the bus, and he always gives them credit. Also, he doesn't seem to ride the emotion of a game the way some managers (think Ozzie Guillen or Frank Robinson etc.) and stays pretty calm and cool. I think the players reflect that. He doesn't panic and neither do they. Now if he could make good tactical moves on top of that......

Meh, pretty sure 95% of managers do this.  Not sure why this would make the Royals play harder or with more resilience than any other team.  By the way this was just one game.  I mean how many comeback wins did we have this year?  I don't think very many.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25056 on: October 01, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »
If that's all it took Paul Rhodes would be the greatest coach in history.

Rhodes is faking though. Ned honestly believes. And that's not all it takes, I'm saying Ned has had a positive impact, IMO, on the mental toughness and make up of the team. We were down 8 games TWICE and came back to 1st place. We were down 4 in the 8th in an elimination game and came back to win. If this team hasn't shown you its mentally tough and determined and plays well when it faces adversity, then I don't know what to tell you. It was a collective win last night. Who was the hero? There were like 14 of them.

I'm not saying Ned is a HOF manager. I'm saying he should be credited for a team that has shown it can fight back, and has done it all season.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25057 on: October 01, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »

Meh, pretty sure 95% of managers do this.  Not sure why this would make the Royals play harder or with more resilience than any other team.  By the way this was just one game.  I mean how many comeback wins did we have this year?  I don't think very many.

We came back in the macro sense multiple times.

The Royals had 4 managers in a row that the players snickered behind their backs at (Bell, Pena, Muser, Hillman) and were the LEAST resilient, LEAST mentally strong team in the majors in that time frame. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25058 on: October 01, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
How the eff am i the one defending Ned Yost. What planet is this?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25059 on: October 01, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »
I love how agressive he was with base runners. Great scouting report.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25060 on: October 01, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
These are grown men oozing testosterone mostly making millions of dollars. You guys really think emotional support is their most pressing need? Is that how you think sports work?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25061 on: October 01, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »
"Now my press secretary Josh Earnest is from Kansas City," Obama said. "He has made the observation that the Royals are advancing and that the Chiefs made the Patriots look kind of bad on Monday night. So clearly something is going on in Kansas City. Apparently these guys (Sporting KC) are the ones who got it all started, who got the ball rolling. It's a pretty good day to be from Kansas City. You guys are feeling kind of cocky right now."

-Obama  :love:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25062 on: October 01, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

Other than the play where he tried to double steal with Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer, anyway.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25063 on: October 01, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
"Now my press secretary Josh Earnest is from Kansas City," Obama said. "He has made the observation that the Royals are advancing and that the Chiefs made the Patriots look kind of bad on Monday night. So clearly something is going on in Kansas City. Apparently these guys (Sporting KC) are the ones who got it all started, who got the ball rolling. It's a pretty good day to be from Kansas City. You guys are feeling kind of cocky right now."

-Obama  :love:

Thanks Obama.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25064 on: October 01, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
These are grown men oozing testosterone mostly making millions of dollars. You guys really think emotional support is their most pressing need? Is that how you think sports work?
He babies them and they like it. Have you seen how sensitive some of these guys were when they were losing earlier in the season? We're not dumbasses, we're just giving our  :th_twocents: and I don't think we're far off.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25065 on: October 01, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
We came back in the macro a couple times because our pitching was out of this world amazing starters to bullpen.  The bullpen was like setting records all over the place good.  If Ned's supporting players and calm leadership made our pitchers pitch really good then give him the credit.

BTW, I don't necessarily disagree with you I'm just always skeptical of credit given for contributions that are not measurable.  You know what I'm saying?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25066 on: October 01, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »

Other than the play where he tried to double steal with Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer, anyway.
Yeah, one rough ridin' play. Get over it. Billy did a really shitty job with that too. He left too early.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25067 on: October 01, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

Nice job of twisting my words dork. I think the culture and climate of a team, as created by a coach or manager, has an impact on how they play, how they respond to adversity, and that the team reflects their leader.

Obviously, having good players is 20 X's more important than all that stuff, but I'm saying I think it was a factor in the way the team fought back last night.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25068 on: October 01, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »

Nice job of twisting my words dork. I think the culture and climate of a team, as created by a coach or manager, has an impact on how they play, how they respond to adversity, and that the team reflects their leader.

Obviously, having good players is 20 X's more important than all that stuff, but I'm saying I think it was a factor in the way the team fought back last night.

I wasn't really addressing you specifically. I respect your royals posting and amazing fandom

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25069 on: October 01, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

I can get on board with this.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25071 on: October 01, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »
It's amazing how fans bitch over 1 or 2 mistakes taken by a manager during an entire game, but they never want to credit the good. Fan's do a really good job of being ignorent at times.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25072 on: October 01, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
here's what I like about ned yost: only coach to get the royals to the playoffs in my lifetime (not counting little baby lifetime)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25073 on: October 01, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
here's what I like about ned yost: only coach to get the royals to the playoffs in my lifetime (not counting little baby lifetime)
:thumbs:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25074 on: October 01, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
if he keeps doing that he can keep doing whatever it is that gets our new money fans butthurt as often as he wants