Author Topic: ksu ladycats  (Read 192339 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: ksu ladycats
« Reply #725 on: March 18, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
"I am very proud to be a part of this program associated with greats like Kendra Wacker and Nicole Olpe"

This is an amazing post that can't possibly get too much love

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
Is it possible that Currie, like 99.9% of humans, just doesn't give a crap about women's basketball and this hire reflects it? 

Offline MeatGeeKSU

• Fan
  • One man's villain is another man's hero, captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 18, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
He's been a pretty decent ball coach.  The rough transition to the Big 12 was more because all he had at hand was tools to compete at the Mountain West level.  Now he has the tools to compete at a Big 12 and National Level with an elite basketball facility to play with.  It's a solid hire.  I mean the Wichita State ball coach would've maybe generated more excitement, but this guy has has a winning pedigree.  Besides Geno is the best women's coach of all time(no, not Pat Summit lulz), and he's obviously a dude.  Get Shalee to stick around it remains a very good hire.
"I’m the man of the hour, too sweet to be sour. What you see is what you get and what you don’t is better yet. I’m the women’s pick, I’m the men’s regret and if you pick against LHC Bill Snyder you made a bad bet.”

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 18, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
Is it possible that Currie, like 99.9% of humans, just doesn't give a crap about women's basketball and this hire reflects it?

If you don't care get the eff out, no one solicited your opinion. I've never understood why certain guys feel the need to tell people they don't like women's basketball without being asked, what are you trying to prove? Even people that don't like women's basketball wouldn't find this post particularly edgy or funny, why, most people don't like women's basketball.

I think I'm going to spend the rest of my life telling strangers, unsolicited, that I don't like formula one racing. I'm quite sure many people will care, a lot.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 18, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
Wasn't the recruiting class coming in pretty good?  Hopefully he can keep it together.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 18, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »
SUCK IT, TCU

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
"I am very proud to be a part of this program associated with greats like Kendra Wacker and Nicole Olpe"

This is why 'stone is my favorite mod  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 18, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
He's been a pretty decent ball coach. The rough transition to the Big 12 was more because all he had at hand was tools to compete at the Mountain West level.  Now he has the tools to compete at a Big 12 and National Level with an elite basketball facility to play with.  It's a solid hire.  I mean the Wichita State ball coach would've maybe generated more excitement, but this guy has has a winning pedigree.  Besides Geno is the best women's coach of all time(no, not Pat Summit lulz), and he's obviously a dude.  Get Shalee to stick around it remains a very good hire.

exactly, pretty decent, meh :blank: I will say after looking at his resume it appears that he was TCU's Jody Adams, I am a little troubled by him seeming as if he's plateaued. His post season resume is very similar to Deb's, don't be fooled by that dumb post season stat that K-State is throwing out there. TCU has more than a few NITs in that run and very few NCAA wins. His best team was his 04-05 team. TCU had Michael Irvin's niece on that team she's like 6'7" and was just a couple of blocks from breaking the NCAA single season record. That team won 1 game in the tournament and they played that pod at home. At least Deb went to the sweet 16.

I also wholeheartedly reject that point about them transitioning from the Mountain West. As we know TCU played in like 39 conferences in 7 years, but they were not dominant at all, ever. Jody and WSU were 30-6 against the valley the last 2 seasons with 4 titles.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »
Wasn't the recruiting class coming in pretty good?  Hopefully he can keep it together.

No.  IMO it is/was another mediocre class. 

Debs class from last year is the only decent class in the last 5 years, the key for him is to keep that class in place and get some popular assistants to stick around.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 18, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
Why is MIR always so angry? 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 18, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »

Why is MIR always so angry?

He's not at Sporting KC games.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 18, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
good hire imo

edit: the reason i say its a good hire is that i trust currie's opinion 100x more than any of yours b/c he is a proven stud
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:51:48 PM by kim carnes »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 18, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
Take me down to paradise, Mittie, where the basketball's great and the fans are butthurt.  oh won't you please take me down!?!?!?  Yeah!!!  :Woohoo: :excited: :emawkid: :ksu:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:45:03 PM by meow meow »

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 18, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
What would have been a "splash hire" for our women's bball program?

I like this guy.  He seems to be a real man's man.  A real roll up your sleeves and coach some basketball and then polish off a hard day of coaching with a good stiff drink kind of guy.  I like that.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline MeatGeeKSU

• Fan
  • One man's villain is another man's hero, captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
He's been a pretty decent ball coach. The rough transition to the Big 12 was more because all he had at hand was tools to compete at the Mountain West level.  Now he has the tools to compete at a Big 12 and National Level with an elite basketball facility to play with.  It's a solid hire.  I mean the Wichita State ball coach would've maybe generated more excitement, but this guy has has a winning pedigree.  Besides Geno is the best women's coach of all time(no, not Pat Summit lulz), and he's obviously a dude.  Get Shalee to stick around it remains a very good hire.

exactly, pretty decent, meh :blank: I will say after looking at his resume it appears that he was TCU's Jody Adams, I am a little troubled by him seeming as if he's plateaued. His post season resume is very similar to Deb's, don't be fooled by that dumb post season stat that K-State is throwing out there. TCU has more than a few NITs in that run and very few NCAA wins. His best team was his 04-05 team. TCU had Michael Irvin's niece on that team she's like 6'7" and was just a couple of blocks from breaking the NCAA single season record. That team won 1 game in the tournament and they played that pod at home. At least Deb went to the sweet 16.

I also wholeheartedly reject that point about them transitioning from the Mountain West. As we know TCU played in like 39 conferences in 7 years, but they were not dominant at all, ever. Jody and WSU were 30-6 against the valley the last 2 seasons with 4 titles.

Eh, I still think it will work out well.  All of those other conferences were all pretty Mountain Westy too, so the fact that he moved from a lesser conference where you usually are going to draw lesser recruits to a Big 12 environment is still there.  Maybe they weren't ever dominant, but when has Deb ever been truly dominant with this Cats team? She's had some nice seasons, but nothing truly remarkable. He went to 9 NCAA tourneys in 15 years at TCU, a school where it is verifiably, much harder to get into the dance than it is in the Big 12 just based on the smaller selection those conferences usually get.  That's a pretty good track record and the development from a horrid inaugural Big 12 campaign to this season shows he can go at this level.  He keeps girls from transferring out and keeps Shalee around then it will work out pretty well.
"I’m the man of the hour, too sweet to be sour. What you see is what you get and what you don’t is better yet. I’m the women’s pick, I’m the men’s regret and if you pick against LHC Bill Snyder you made a bad bet.”

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »

Agree with MIR.
Fired Deb and hired someone with a similar resume. 
The biggest upgrade is that the new regime is much cheaper than the old one.

Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #741 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

Agree with MIR.
Fired Deb and hired someone with a similar resume. 
The biggest upgrade is that the new regime is much cheaper than the old one.

Money shouldn't be the issue here.  I'm not very knowledgeable about WBB, but given the fact that it's probably tied with baseball as the most popular non-revenue sport, you can afford to put the money out there even if you're going to operate at a loss.  I mean, don't operate at a gigantic loss, but do your best to field a winning team like you do in every other sport.  I mean, hell, we built a state-of-the-art practice facility where every single thing is equal between the women and men, so you're already pot committed.  Dropping $500k plus isn't crazy, especially if you're a Top 15 program, historically.

When we fired Deb, I texted a friend and said that Currie was probably thinking he could get the same results for half the price.  Looks like, on paper, I was probably dead on in how Currie was thinking.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 18, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »
Money shouldn't be the issue here.  I'm not very knowledgeable about WBB, but given the fact that it's probably tied with baseball as the most popular non-revenue sport, you can afford to put the money out there even if you're going to operate at a loss.  I mean, don't operate at a gigantic loss, but do your best to field a winning team like you do in every other sport.  I mean, hell, we built a state-of-the-art practice facility where every single thing is equal between the women and men, so you're already pot committed.  Dropping $500k plus isn't crazy, especially if you're a Top 15 program, historically.

When we fired Deb, I texted a friend and said that Currie was probably thinking he could get the same results for half the price.  Looks like, on paper, I was probably dead on in how Currie was thinking.

That's how I feel about this hire too. I'm still livid.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 19, 2014, 07:37:14 AM »
If he had $ in mind when he fired Deb I'd sincerely hope he would heavily weigh revenue producing impact over the coaches salary. This hire makes me think he wasn't thinking about money because this certainly won't make a massive splash with season ticket sales in the short term.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
You'd think we could have found a female SOMEWHERE

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 19, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
If he had $ in mind when he fired Deb I'd sincerely hope he would heavily weigh revenue producing impact over the coaches salary. This hire makes me think he wasn't thinking about money because this certainly won't make a massive splash with season ticket sales in the short term.

How is "massive splash" defined in terms of women's basketball? 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »

How is "massive splash" defined in terms of women's basketball?

15 people

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »

There will be an increase in season tickets just from having Deb no longer being the head coach. Nearly every season ticket holder who gave up their tickets listed Deb as main reason why.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 19, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »

There will be an increase in season tickets just from having Deb no longer being the head coach. Nearly every season ticket holder who gave up their tickets listed Deb as main reason why.

interesting, if, true,

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 19, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
 :surprised: