Author Topic: ksu ladycats  (Read 188936 times)

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: ksu ladycats
« Reply #475 on: March 09, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
add me to the shalee camp as well.  she's fantastic and i'd like to see her get a shot at it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 09, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
Deb seems very polarizing. Not sure what to believe.

What to believe in what regard? Many of the things people don't like about Deb is born out of the Voepel article, some details of the article aren't exactly accurate, some are sensationalized, and others people don't remember correctly.

The firing is about wins and losses, but if what Stevesie posted is accurate I hope Currie considered that heavily because that isn't right.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 09, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »
she should have been fired for cause after the Star's piece years ago about her unethical practices surrounding religion and the team

either you don't remember what Michele Voepel reported or you don't know what the word unethical means
No I'm pretty sure its on target to say chapel time for playing time is unethical, maybe I should have included illegal and immoral as well?.  Maybe we can ask Mechelle* on twitter and find out if my one sentence summary is sufficient because the KC Star has scrubbed her work from their servers it seems. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #478 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
You guys better not hire someone who takes the spotlight off of Sherri Coale.

:shakesfist:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 09, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »

What to believe in what regard? Many of the things people don't like about Deb is born out of the Voepel article, some details of the article aren't exactly accurate, some are sensationalized, and others people don't remember correctly.

The firing is about wins and losses, but if what Stevesie posted is accurate I hope Currie considered that heavily because that isn't right.

whether to believe she should have been fired.  There wasn't a big push to get her canned, was there? Kinda aggressive by Currie. I'm fine with it, fwiw.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #480 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »

whether to believe she should have been fired.  There wasn't a big push to get her canned, was there? Kinda aggressive by Currie. I'm fine with it, fwiw.

I was shocked he was this aggressive with it. There HAS to be something else behind it because Womens Basketball isn't going to make huge dollars anyway.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »

This is the same kind of BS you tried to pull last year.  You were wrong then and wrong now. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 09, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »
I wish all of you women's basketball fans the best.  I have zero interest in the sport, but most of you seem like good people, so I hope you get to enjoy nice things. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 09, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »

I was shocked he was this aggressive with it. There HAS to be something else behind it because Womens Basketball isn't going to make huge dollars anyway.

Meh, no NCAAs in 3 years. This isn't a second rate athletic department like others. ADJC isn't going to put up with crap. The Ladycats Golf Coach Kristi better watch her back. John already pushed out the men's coach and Deb. She's next.

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 09, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
Currie is fixing his dumbass contract that he gave to Deb in 2008.

$600,000 in salary for Deb in 2013-2014     ( for women's basketball)

He does avoid paying out $125,000 in bonus on April 14, 2014.

If we are paying 600,000 for a women's coach, it better be someone cool like Doug Gottlieb.
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
I hope Currie doesn't lose a bunch of sleep flying around to hotel rooms in major metros to sign knee jerk contracts with historically loser coaches.

That would be really dumb.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 09, 2014, 11:49:02 PM »
I hope Currie doesn't lose a bunch of sleep flying around to hotel rooms in major metros to sign knee jerk contracts with historically loser coaches.

That would be really dumb.

He could avoid all that by hiring Lehning, even tho he'd be taking a chance on someone with only a few years' coaching experience. But no one says K-State WBB like Shalee.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 10, 2014, 01:42:30 AM »

I've been on this board all season fighting this but the program wasn't trending well. I wouldn't say there was a big push but there were some unhappy people, couple that with the possibility of potential off the court issues and there you have it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 10, 2014, 01:47:21 AM »
You guys better not hire someone who takes the spotlight off of Sherri Coale.

:shakesfist:

I first met Sherri Coale when she was the head coach at Norman High School, nice lady

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 10, 2014, 01:52:52 AM »

Being an Iowa State fan I'd hope you understand that women's basketball should be the #3 revenue producer for an athletic department of schools in states that have winter. Women's coaches get fired all of the time, they are expected to win too. KUs all-time winningest women's coach was also fired, if Fennely goes 10-26 in conference in a two year stretch he could get gassed too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 10, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »
Currie is fixing his dumbass contract that he gave to Deb in 2008.

$600,000 in salary for Deb in 2013-2014     ( for women's basketball)

He does avoid paying out $125,000 in bonus on April 14, 2014.

If we are paying 600,000 for a women's coach, it better be someone cool like Doug Gottlieb.

Pick your knuckles up off of the ground, sexist clown. People that throw Deb's salary around need to take like 10 rough ridin' minutes of reading and research to gather some actual context of her salary. She isn't close to being overpaid when you consider the other coaches in the conference and other high major coaches that have been at one place as long as she had. Thankfully Currie is smarter than you rough ridin' idiots and he understands its a pretty good idea to pay your coaches market value.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 10, 2014, 02:14:52 AM »
Baylor            16-2   
West Virginia    16-2   
Texas                    11-7   
Oklahoma State    11-7   
Iowa State        9-9   
Oklahoma            9-9   
TCU                8-10   
Kansas            5-13   
Kansas State    5-13   
Texas Tech      0-18

Hadn't check the standings in a long while.  Not sure where most people want this program to compete at.  Baylor is obviously the toast of the conference.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 10, 2014, 02:30:42 AM »

This is the same kind of BS you tried to pull last year.  You were wrong then and wrong now.

I'm not sure what is happening here but you are doing your thing where you become unreasonably unhinged so I'm gonna keep walking and not look you in the eye.

I will tell you that the 7.5 year old article you keep mentioning is still on the web and easy to find, I read an article earlier this evening that linked it. That chapel thing in the context you brought it up is an example of you not remembering the totality of the story. I will give you credit and not accuse you of intentionally lying because after all that article was written in 2006 & the person who spoke on record about it graduated 9 years ago.

If you want to do the song & dance about this, that's fine but I was very very close to the program back then close enough to know most of that stuff in the article before it was published. If you want to ignore all of that and just base everything off of an article written 7 years ago about stuff that happened between 8-12 years ago I'll leave you with this.

They had that option this year, that chapel is at a different time than pregame meal," Wecker said. "But at the same time, if you don't go, then what happens?"

What happened is that people who didn't want to go were told by coach not to go and they weren't kicked off of the team, a few of them stood with Wecker at the championship team reunion last month.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 10, 2014, 03:25:13 AM »

I'm not sure what is happening here but you are doing your thing where you become unreasonably unhinged so I'm gonna keep walking and not look you in the eye.

I will tell you that the 7.5 year old article you keep mentioning is still on the web and easy to find, I read an article earlier this evening that linked it. That chapel thing in the context you brought it up is an example of you not remembering the totality of the story. I will give you credit and not accuse you of intentionally lying because after all that article was written in 2006 & the person who spoke on record about it graduated 9 years ago.

If you want to do the song & dance about this, that's fine but I was very very close to the program back then close enough to know most of that stuff in the article before it was published. If you want to ignore all of that and just base everything off of an article written 7 years ago about stuff that happened between 8-12 years ago I'll leave you with this.

They had that option this year, that chapel is at a different time than pregame meal," Wecker said. "But at the same time, if you don't go, then what happens?"

What happened is that people who didn't want to go were told by coach not to go and they weren't kicked off of the team, a few of them stood with Wecker at the championship team reunion last month.
funny projection about posters who have a consistent history of becoming unhinged.

And once again you underplay a quality story because it has totally destroyed your position on Deb which you've constructed for years.  She has been a liability for a long time, its just sad that K-State is doing something about it now that the Ws and Ls aren't in the correct amounts.  It doesn't matter how long ago the story was written if the piece withstands scrutiny and shows a consistent issue with a coach.  But nice attempt at a cheap shot, which you're a great artist of, by feinting the lying charge.  The point I had made still stands though, K-State had an opportunity to wash their hands of Deb for cause and should have acted to protect the university. You poorly constructed attempt to attack credibility betrays your failure to make coherent points.  Deb had ethics issues then and probably still has them now. I'd love to know how close you were to the program because you make no points and sound like a tuck with that kind of line.  You can either lay out an argument or fall further into tuck talking points as a defense.  You don't make that kind of piece, put it on a reputable Sunday paper without having your story locked down.  The fact you put that quote from Wecker in your defense shows that clearly miss the context and that you clearly have no idea why Deb should have been immediately fired for the potential harm she placed the university in. 

Quite frankly I don't give a crap if they article was from years ago, that wasn't my point main in this thread.  The point was a) I wish she was gone sooner, when it would have been a cleaner break, and b) she has been in a downward trend for a few years with no major accomplishments to speak of after having many great resources at her disposal. She arguably should have been gone last year.  I listed to your points about injuries to the front court/key players and a few other issues and reconsidered my position to "the one more year" camp.  Instead we are treated with another awful year building a trend which oscillates between mediocrity and terrible.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:21 AM »
Weird to think that there are people who really follow K-State women's basketball in depth.  Like they know the players, watch the games, yell at the refs, and are really mad when we lose.  I'm not saying it's wrong at all.  Just funny to think about.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #495 on: March 10, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »

Being an Iowa State fan I'd hope you understand that women's basketball should be the #3 revenue producer for an athletic department of schools in states that have winter. Women's coaches get fired all of the time, they are expected to win too. KUs all-time winningest women's coach was also fired, if Fennely goes 10-26 in conference in a two year stretch he could get gassed too.

Yea, I agree completely. Based upon the postseason accolades, I'd have given her one more season as an athletic director, simply out of respect for the program she built. Maybe John Currie gave her an ultimatum at this time last year as well, but only those two would know that.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 10, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
What would people who follow the program closely say Deb's biggest problem was? X's and O's, recruiting, getting effort out of players?

I personally kind of always thought she recruited too many Kansas girls and that she hit the lottery with oldhe, wecker, and kanhe and then kind of stuck with that local recruiting strategy, but that's just from looking at the roster and not knowing the girls they are actually pursuing. Thoughts?
I'm purple down

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 10, 2014, 09:25:21 AM »
What would people who follow the program closely say Deb's biggest problem was? X's and O's, recruiting, getting effort out of players?

I personally kind of always thought she recruited too many Kansas girls and that she hit the lottery with oldhe, wecker, and kanhe and then kind of stuck with that local recruiting strategy, but that's just from looking at the roster and not knowing the girls they are actually pursuing. Thoughts?

Just personal opinion here, and as someone who hasn't really paid close attention since I was in school take this for what it's worth, but that's almost the opposite of the truth. I think one of the biggest problems has been not getting enough of the good Kansas players. There's been more than enough quality womens bball players come out of this state to create at least a solid backbone for a team. Obviously some will leave but it seems like for every Shalee she got there was at least 1 Tiffany Bias who got away.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 10, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »

her assistant (Cammie something ?) is a defensive stud and is a match-up wizard

.......Deb's offense is weird and dumb..........they constantly have nothing good happening with 5 on the shot clock
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »
A lot of people typing a lot of words in this thread....
Go CATS!