Author Topic: plus/minus stats...  (Read 2585 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
plus/minus stats...
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
There have been some discussions about plus/minus stats, namely when Rusty brought up plus minus in one of the many Denis Clemente discussions.  I hadn't noticed it before, but statsheet.com is now doing plus/minus stats as part of each game as part of their breakdown.  Here is our game vs Iowa State from last Saturday as an example.  Another interesting way to look at player impacts on games.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
Re: plus/minus stats...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
There have been some discussions about plus/minus stats, namely when Rusty brought up plus minus in one of the many Denis Clemente discussions.  I hadn't noticed it before, but statsheet.com is now doing plus/minus stats as part of each game as part of their breakdown.  Here is our game vs Iowa State from last Saturday as an example.  Another interesting way to look at player impacts on games.

very interesting thanks.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
the freshmen were garbage

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:50:03 AM »
+/- is a garbage stat IMHO.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:04:12 AM »
I also think that +/- is total garbage. It varies so wildly from game to game that you don't really get a measure of anyone. It's especially stupid for college games when there are players who play virtually the entire game. Clems and Pulls, for example, are going to have + games when we win and - games when we lose. Also, think about what a situation like the last minute of the @ISU game...ISU had stopped playing basketball for all intents and purposes and was literally just running down the court and taking ugly three point shots that happened to be falling in. Anyone on our team who was in the game at that point would have really suffered in the +/- stat through really no fault of their own.

So, it's 5 AM and I just typed all that out, I realize it says nothing, but I'm gonna post it anyway...because I typed it.
Y.N.W.A.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:48:07 AM »

in college it is.  they do cool stuff with it in the nba.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
I also think that +/- is total garbage. It varies so wildly from game to game that you don't really get a measure of anyone. It's especially stupid for college games when there are players who play virtually the entire game. Clems and Pulls, for example, are going to have + games when we win and - games when we lose. Also, think about what a situation like the last minute of the @ISU game...ISU had stopped playing basketball for all intents and purposes and was literally just running down the court and taking ugly three point shots that happened to be falling in. Anyone on our team who was in the game at that point would have really suffered in the +/- stat through really no fault of their own.

So, it's 5 AM and I just typed all that out, I realize it says nothing, but I'm gonna post it anyway...because I typed it.

Look at RR, instead.  It compares time on to time off - it shows a big dropoff when Pullen leaves the game against ISU, for example - he dominates RR.  And I agree they do more w/ it in the NBA (especially player combo RR), and that it is better as a cumulative stat than game-by-game.  But your point about +/- not being fair if you're on the court when the other team starts bombing 3's is total garbage.  The players on the court could have prevented what ISU was doing.

No stat by itself is perfect (except maybe team offensive and defensive efficiency), but to deny this as a useful and/or interesting stat is pretty dumb IMO.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:46 AM »

in college it is.  they do cool stuff with it in the nba.

i thought they were different....not sure how though...

fwiw, Beasley's +/- is almost always -  :frown:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:39 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
 :combofan:

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »
season long will be nice.  conf only in addition would be great.  pomeroy should do conf stats too.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:04:47 AM »
season long will be nice.  conf only in addition would be great.  pomeroy should do conf stats too.

agreed.  FYI, pomeroy is on twitter now.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »
:combofan:

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
pomeroy is on twitter now.

good tip, thx.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
It may be a "garbage stat" but its fun to look at.  :dunno: