Author Topic: Will Cali actually legalize pot???  (Read 16861 times)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Will Cali actually legalize pot???
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »
Boom, roasted

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »
I vote republican cause I'm a rich white guy and they have my best interests at heart.

Unless you make more than $250,000 a year, your best economic interests would actually reside with the Democrats. 

It terrifies me that people think this.   :frown:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »
I vote republican cause I'm a rich white guy and they have my best interests at heart.

Unless you make more than $250,000 a year, your best economic interests would actually reside with the Democrats. 

It terrifies me that people think this.   :frown:

Yes, this is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). The actual figure is closer to $50,000.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
If Cali is allowed to legalize pot, doesn't that pretty much doom Obamacare?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »

How do you figure?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

How do you figure?

Federal law says MJ is illegal.  California is a state saying it is.  There are like 20 states crafting laws that say its citizens don't have to follow the insurance mandate.  The Fed is saying they are preempted.

The courts probably can't say that Cali can preempt the Fed Drug laws (and have already said the opposite), but other States can't preempt healthcare law.

Again, this is all moot based on the SCOTUS case I posted in like the third comment to this thread.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »

How do you figure?

Federal law says MJ is illegal.  California is a state saying it is.  There are like 20 states crafting laws that say its citizens don't have to follow the insurance mandate.  The Fed is saying they are preempted.

The courts probably can't say that Cali can preempt the Fed Drug laws (and have already said the opposite), but other States can't preempt healthcare law.

Again, this is all moot based on the SCOTUS case I posted in like the third comment to this thread.

Well, I doubt you are right, but hopefully you are. I really don't appreciate having to pay more for the same health care that I already get.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »

How do you figure?

Well, I doubt you are right, but hopefully you are. I really don't appreciate having to pay more for the same health care that I already get.

I'm always right  :gocho:

However, in re-reading my post, preempt is definitely the wrong word, but you get the picture. 

It all revolves around the Commerce Clause, and probably the Necessary and Proper clause.  SCOTUS had a trend of loosely interpreting the Commerce clause for about 60 years with the liberal court, now it's starting to be reigned in a little (see case called Lopez re: feds regulating guns near schools) with some sanity back on the bench.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
I'm skeptical whether whatever tax revenue generated would be enough to offset the increased cost from increased social problems from legalizing a drug that for some reason is illegal in every single other country on the planet.  I'm pretty sure every other country doesn't have issues with "big pharma" and they still find a reason for it to be illegal.  (decriminalized does not mean legal)

Do you ever stop and think, or are you literally a liberal parrot squawking whatever some diphullabaloo tells you is liberal?

The financial benefits of legalizing marijuana would be enormous. You cannot simply count tax revenue. You also have to count how much money we would save by not having to incarcerate non-violent potheads. This alone would save nearly $8 billion annually.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/22148/

VERY few potheads are incarcerated anymore, except to post bond.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
Who the f*ck is going to buy government taxed and regulated (god only knows what they'll do when "regulating" it) pot when you can just buy it on the street cheaper?  

And yes, I've heard the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) talking point about how it will flood demand and drive prices down pushing dealers out of the market (only Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) libs who don't understand basic economics believe this).  It won't, that's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), drug smugglers/dealers (billion dollar industry) aren't going to stop selling pot just because it's legalized, they will continue to sell it at a price below govt. and if they don't have any regard for the government now, they sure ashell aren't going to all of the sudden care because it's legal.

Other than that, it's a superb idea (besides the whole health, safety and welfare of the state thing, ya know having a bunch of stoned people driving around running over little kids like degenerate alcoholics).

Alcohol is far more destructive to your health than marijuana, yet it's legal.  I don't see many privatized bootleggers out there selling moonshine on the streets, either.  You are some kind of Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), to put it mildly.  

Before making unfounded statements like that, lets wait until pot is legal and do a study and see which one is worse for you over an 80 year period.  mmkay

You calling me a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) is like Jordan Webb telling Peyton Manning he sucks at football.  Question, when alcohol was made illegal back in the day (prohibition), where those people who effectuated that radical change liberals?

Okay... it's official:  this guy is a parody poster.  No one can be this ignorant.  I refuse to believe it.

Surprised you tapped out so soon

Your inability to correlate things is astounding.  In a vacuum legalizing pot is a fantastic idea.  When you couple it with the fact that we have free health care (pre and post Obamacare), welfare problems, etc. it's really not a good idea, fiscally speaking (long term, I know that's hard for liberals).

What don't you understand about the fact that legalizing marijuana would create tax revenue for the government?  

So would legalizing coke.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2010, 08:43:52 AM »
Who the f*ck is going to buy government taxed and regulated (god only knows what they'll do when "regulating" it) pot when you can just buy it on the street cheaper?  

And yes, I've heard the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) talking point about how it will flood demand and drive prices down pushing dealers out of the market (only Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) libs who don't understand basic economics believe this).  It won't, that's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), drug smugglers/dealers (billion dollar industry) aren't going to stop selling pot just because it's legalized, they will continue to sell it at a price below govt. and if they don't have any regard for the government now, they sure ashell aren't going to all of the sudden care because it's legal.

Other than that, it's a superb idea (besides the whole health, safety and welfare of the state thing, ya know having a bunch of stoned people driving around running over little kids like degenerate alcoholics).

Alcohol is far more destructive to your health than marijuana, yet it's legal.  I don't see many privatized bootleggers out there selling moonshine on the streets, either.  You are some kind of Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), to put it mildly.  

Before making unfounded statements like that, lets wait until pot is legal and do a study and see which one is worse for you over an 80 year period.  mmkay

You calling me a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) is like Jordan Webb telling Peyton Manning he sucks at football.  Question, when alcohol was made illegal back in the day (prohibition), where those people who effectuated that radical change liberals?

Okay... it's official:  this guy is a parody poster.  No one can be this ignorant.  I refuse to believe it.

Surprised you tapped out so soon

Your inability to correlate things is astounding.  In a vacuum legalizing pot is a fantastic idea.  When you couple it with the fact that we have free health care (pre and post Obamacare), welfare problems, etc. it's really not a good idea, fiscally speaking (long term, I know that's hard for liberals).

What don't you understand about the fact that legalizing marijuana would create tax revenue for the government?  

So would legalizing coke.

and prostitution, and timbering our national forests, and drilling in Alaska (or anywhere for that matter) . . .

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
I'm sure the process of smuggling pot into the US (and losing large amounts in the process) couldn't possibly increase the price of it.  I mean, if you're legally shipping it in from, say, Washington state, it has to cost just as much as sneaking it across the border from Mexico.  Right?

even though this post is extremely  :opcat:

i would have to say its a valid point. pot is a weed. it can grow pretty much anywhere and it doesn't cost much to produce. it would turn into just another item subject to taxes and shipping costs. on top of that i couldn't see people wanting to run through the gauntlet of contacting some guy on the street in order to buy pot when they can just go to the store and get quality controlled cannabis that won't have bugs crawling on it, or that won't be laced with some other substance, or just grow your own.

along with that theory you could couple it with the fact that marijuana is currently the cash crop for mexican cartels. once it is taken away from them they will be forced to rely on other narcotics that aren't nearly as popular. meaning the price would have to go up in order to pay for the shipping cost without supplementing through marijuana. pretty simple thought process.

if anything the national economy will help the legalization in california. it promises jobs, tax revenue, and something to do on the weekends (and most mornings, afternoons, and weekdays for some). for a crop that is 10x cheaper to produce than oranges, california could see a major change in agriculture.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:27 AM »
I'm sure the process of smuggling pot into the US (and losing large amounts in the process) couldn't possibly increase the price of it.  I mean, if you're legally shipping it in from, say, Washington state, it has to cost just as much as sneaking it across the border from Mexico.  Right?

i would have to say its a valid point. pot is a weed. it can grow pretty much anywhere and it doesn't cost much to produce. it would turn into just another item subject to taxes and shipping costs. on top of that i couldn't see people wanting to run through the gauntlet of contacting some guy on the street in order to buy pot when they can just go to the store and get quality controlled cannabis that won't have bugs crawling on it, or that won't be laced with some other substance, or just grow your own.

along with that theory you could couple it with the fact that marijuana is currently the cash crop for mexican cartels. once it is taken away from them they will be forced to rely on other narcotics that aren't nearly as popular. meaning the price would have to go up in order to pay for the shipping cost without supplementing through marijuana. pretty simple thought process.

if anything the national economy will help the legalization in california. it promises jobs, tax revenue, and something to do on the weekends (and most mornings, afternoons, and weekdays for some). for a crop that is 10x cheaper to produce than oranges, california could see a major change in agriculture.

mexican cartels aren't going to stop growing pot (billions of dollars of revenue) because it's suddenly illegal in California.  Anyone that knows anything about buying pot, knows it's not that big of a deal to buy it off the street (aka from some guy who lives in a sh*tty Section 8 apartment). 

If anything HUD housing is the current retail store for pot.  Legalizing it and taxing it would be devastating to America's poor and those who sell it as a source of income to supplement their welfare checks.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

mexican cartels aren't going to stop growing pot (billions of dollars of revenue) because it's suddenly illegal in California.  Anyone that knows anything about buying pot, knows it's not that big of a deal to buy it off the street (aka from some guy who lives in a sh*tty Section 8 apartment). 

If anything HUD housing is the current retail store for pot.  Legalizing it and taxing it would be devastating to America's poor and those who sell it as a source of income to supplement their welfare checks.

There is no evidence to support this. People don't still buy booze from the mob, and nobody will buy pot off the street when its safer and actually legal to buy it from a store.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »

if you are buying pot from HUD housing you have no idea what you are doing. nor do you know anything about pot. and it is a big deal to buy it off the street. and those "people" you are referring to can go and work in the fields and make just as much money because of the actual jobs that pot created rather than being indebted to some psuedo local drug king pin (if they have any actual contact with him at all. they probably are at least 10 steps away from the top of the food chain in any given city).

obviously you have no idea what you are talking about here. and i can't say that its good or bad. but illegal pot has a system in place right now that is unbeknownst to almost everyone who is not involved with it. it would all change completely if it is on a store shelf. when you have over 60% of all americans attesting to at least trying it then there are a lot more users than you think. an amount of people like that don't subsist on the guy in apartment 4D in some shitty part of town.

pot is a product. and like all products it can be produced in different varieties and quality. each one of those has a different consumer base. all the way to the top.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »
It's beginning to look like it won't pass, probably because the governator has already decriminalized possession under an OZ a couple of months ago. I was really looking forward to growing one good plant.  :frown:

Sugar Dick

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2010, 05:07:46 PM »

if you are buying pot from HUD housing you have no idea what you are doing. nor do you know anything about pot. and it is a big deal to buy it off the street. and those "people" you are referring to can go and work in the fields and make just as much money because of the actual jobs that pot created rather than being indebted to some psuedo local drug king pin (if they have any actual contact with him at all. they probably are at least 10 steps away from the top of the food chain in any given city).

obviously you have no idea what you are talking about here. and i can't say that its good or bad. but illegal pot has a system in place right now that is unbeknownst to almost everyone who is not involved with it. it would all change completely if it is on a store shelf. when you have over 60% of all americans attesting to at least trying it then there are a lot more users than you think. an amount of people like that don't subsist on the guy in apartment 4D in some cacty part of town.

pot is a product. and like all products it can be produced in different varieties and quality. each one of those has a different consumer base. all the way to the top.

LMFAO, you might be the most naive person on this board   :lol: :lol:

and the other 49 states??

also, HUD and Section8 housing is not only in the bad part of town, my god  :facepalm:  Now go back to watching Weeds dumbass

Sugar Dick

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »

There is no evidence to support this. People don't still buy booze from the mob, and nobody will buy pot off the street when its safer and actually legal to buy it from a store.

The evidence is in the illegal drug war funded by the multi-billion dollar drug industry in Mexico.  If legalizing pot was actually a threat to the cartel's about a dozen California politicians would already be dead.  It's just common sense.

Nobody that smokes weed regularly is concerned about the safety of the product other than how high it gets them.  If they were concerned about safety they wouldn't smoke it.  The sh*t that makes it unsafe is what makes it better anyways.  :bigtoke:

Please, enough with the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) mob/alcohol analogy.  It's really not the same. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »

The evidence is in the illegal drug war funded by the multi-billion dollar drug industry in Mexico.  If legalizing pot was actually a threat to the cartel's about a dozen California politicians would already be dead.  It's just common sense.

Nobody that smokes weed regularly is concerned about the safety of the product other than how high it gets them.  If they were concerned about safety they wouldn't smoke it.  The sh*t that makes it unsafe is what makes it better anyways.  :bigtoke:

Please, enough with the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) mob/alcohol analogy.  It's really not the same. 

Oh, ok.  Well I guess you win then.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »
Interesting side note: Most Latin American leaders and media commentators (especially in Mexico and Colombia) are against Prop 19. However, they're also open to (and in some cases supportive of) legalization/decriminalization. Prop 19 is dumb, but it may be dumb like the Arizona immigration law is dumb, in that it could force policy makers (in this case, at an international level...where it should be) to honestly re-evaluate the situation and "adjust to field conditions." So, dumb like a coyote.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »

obviously you have no idea what you are talking about here. and i can't say that its good or bad. but illegal pot has a system in place right now that is unbeknownst to almost everyone who is not involved with it. it would all change completely if it is on a store shelf. when you have over 60% of all americans attesting to at least trying it then there are a lot more users than you think. an amount of people like that don't subsist on the guy in apartment 4D in some cacty part of town.

also, HUD and Section8 housing is not only in the bad part of town, my god  :facepalm:  Now go back to watching Weeds dumbass

yes yes naive. i would really love to talk more about this but it is pretty apparent that you are incapable of actual conversation. keep up the fishing and good luck with however you think the world works.

fact: legalizing pot will create taxable jobs and a taxable product. whoever decides to fill those jobs, whether it be people in hud housing (your reference, not mine) or college students or illegals, they will be getting paid.

my point is that you don't buy drugs in "the bad part of town." that reference is a product of whatever stigma or asinine societal outlook you have about the drug and its uses. so you keep using those dare campaign ads as evidence of your theories. have fun being the bad person bro.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »

yes yes naive. i would really love to talk more about this but it is pretty apparent that you are incapable of actual conversation. keep up the fishing and good luck with however you think the world works.

fact: legalizing pot will create taxable jobs and a taxable product. whoever decides to fill those jobs, whether it be people in hud housing (your reference, not mine) or college students or illegals, they will be getting paid.

my point is that you don't buy drugs in "the bad part of town." that reference is a product of whatever stigma or asinine societal outlook you have about the drug and its uses. so you keep using those dare campaign ads as evidence of your theories. have fun being the bad person bro.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
I don't see how legalizing pot will hurt the poor...especially since it could create new jobs and tax revenue for a state that's trying to sell san quentin and the rough ridin' stadium usc plays in because they're so desparate to get money. The only industry that suffers from this is big pharma, which is a good thing

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
What I don't get is that most of the budget savings will be due to no longer having govt jobs to enforce the existing law, yet many conservatives are against it.

Supposedly, the state is estimating $1.3trillion dollars savings/rev combo if it gets past, but something like $860M of that is in law enforcement/prison employees that would no longer be needed.  Conservatives want less government, here is their chance.  Bring in $350M in new rev and trim govt budget by $860M.  This sounds like a good idea. 

Sure there will be a temp increase in TBL type folks signing up for unemployment, but is that a reason to not do it? 

If it is the reason, who are the conservatives talking about when they say they want to make govt smaller and more efficient? 

For the record, I am a moderate conservative and I like the idea of legalizing it.  I hope it happens in CA so that it may spread.  We would all be better off if we worried about crap that matters, and lets face it, pot doesn't make that list.

Offline Dave Wooderson

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Totally conservative here and would legalize it without a second thought.  Then I would partake.   :woot:

Of course I could be mistaken for a libertarian.
Wait a minute guys... I don't play golf... for money... against people.