Author Topic: Anyone else get worried about bed bugs when they travel  (Read 3865 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Anyone else get worried about bed bugs when they travel
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
the Hilton Magic thread on the OOD board got me thinking about them, because I freak out about them. I've seen a bunch of reports that they're everywhere and it's an epidemic.  so I always scout out hotels online and make sure that the hotel I'm looking at hasn't been infected with them.

grizzoss.

http://manhattan.about.com/od/citylife1/a/bedbugsbites.htm

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else get worried about bed bugs when they travel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »
Yes, very scary.  iirc Jeffy got attacked by them a while back.  Have never had a run in with them but am always worried about it.  I am hyper sensitive to cleanliness of hotels but these things are even at super fancy clean looking places.   :ohno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »
i even pull the sheets and investigate the good hotels when i'm on site, regardless of the interweb reviews of the places.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
This always make me extremely nervous.  The fact that Dateline basically does a show about dirty hotels every couple weeks doesn't help either. 
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »
Yeah, I always check my hotel room for bed bugs, right after I check it for aliens and bigfoots.   :rolleyes:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »
I had a run-in with them 3 years ago at my old apartment. It wasn't necessarily the grossest apartment you ever saw, but 4 people living in a 3 bedroom didn't help. A couple roommates complained about having red itchy bumps in the morning. I gradually noticed tiny red spots(im guessing blood) on my sheets. Finally my roommate woke up in the middle of the night to one biting him. Went in to total freak out alert. Tore up all the beds, found them lining the mattresses. Ended up having to get the place fumigated every other week or something like that. Gradually they died out. Worst months of my life. Luckily they didn't transfer anywhere else.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »
I had a run-in with them 3 years ago at my old apartment. It wasn't necessarily the grossest apartment you ever saw, but 4 people living in a 3 bedroom didn't help. A couple roommates complained about having red itchy bumps in the morning. I gradually noticed tiny red spots(im guessing blood) on my sheets. Finally my roommate woke up in the middle of the night to one biting him. Went in to total freak out alert. Tore up all the beds, found them lining the mattresses. Ended up having to get the place fumigated every other week or something like that. Gradually they died out. Worst months of my life. Luckily they didn't transfer anywhere else.

You prolly have AIDS now  :frown:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »

that sounds fracking awful. "found them lining the mattresses"  :ohno:

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »

That's pretty disgusting.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »

You prolly have AIDS now  :frown:

:ohno: :ohno:

Just was totally uneasy. You couldn't freakin fall asleep at all. Even the couch in the living room had them. We tried to make sure not very many people found out about that. Parent didn't want me coming home, thats for sure.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »

Had a similar situation. We barely had them while the neighbor and the people below us were bat crap crazy infested. We moved out, got rent refunded after we were forced to move into that apartment because the building we were in before was getting renovated. Somebody at the office goofed up and admitted they knew about bed bugs in the building prior to us moving in, but they never did anything about it until someone complained. The refused to fumigate, we pointed out their cover up and explained how our stuff was ruined if they didn't fumigate. So, now as a result my wife inspects hotel room with ridiculous detail.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
Even if my hotel room survives my inspection I still dump all the laundry out of my suitcase and take it off my body in the laundry room right when I get home to wash everything no matter if it was worn or not.   :ohno:

stunz

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
wish i didn't click on this thread.  have been lucky and never really thought of them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
i do not worry about this and have no problem staying in even the shadiest of shady hotels. i am a risk taker.  :party:

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
given my elite hygiene, I think I would be very attractive to bed bugs.  Like their holy grail.  I do everything I can to stay one step ahead of them.
Message Board Samurai

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »
If I ever find some in my hotel room I'm going to lose it.  Like, really lose it.  Screaming in the lobby so every guest in the building can hear me until I'm satiated with a lifetime supply of hotel miles lose it.  Then I'm going to destroy the place on tripadvisor. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
If I ever find some in my hotel room I'm going to lose it.  Like, really lose it.  Screaming in the lobby so every guest in the building can hear me until I'm satiated with a lifetime supply of hotel miles lose it.  Then I'm going to destroy the place on tripadvisor. 

i checked into this hotel the day after these complaints. i'm outta control though. daredevil.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=207527

stunz

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 09:05:38 AM »

like that?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »

like that?

Yeah, pretty much.  Also maybe some running around.  :runaway:

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
i do not worry about this and have no problem staying in even the shadiest of shady hotels. i am a risk taker.  :party:

The Westwood out on Ft Riley Blvd?

Its got mirrors on the ceiling I've heard, or at least it did 15 years ago.  Can't imagine its been updated since then.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
I just take a hammock, a nice drill, and some anchor bolts on every trip I take. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

Its got mirrors on the ceiling I've heard, or at least it did 15 years ago.  Can't imagine its been updated since then.

grew up in mhk and a cool townie thing to do was to have gradeschool bday parties at the holiday inn holidome. we would have to drive past the westwood to get there and my friends and i dubbed it the roach motel and asked our parents if we could have a bday party there, where the games would consist of who could find the most roaches, etc. never came to fruition.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »
Stayed at Daris' last time in Manhattan. Was not not aware of his risk taking travels.:ohno:

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »

grew up in mhk and a cool townie thing to do was to have gradeschool bday parties at the holiday inn holidome. we would have to drive past the westwood to get there and my friends and i dubbed it the roach motel and asked our parents if we could have a bday party there, where the games would consist of who could find the most roaches, etc. never came to fruition.

It used to boast 'Color TV' on its sign 'til about ten years ago.