Author Topic: Does having a good basketball team put a spring in your step?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Does having a good basketball team put a spring in your step?
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
It does me. I can't help it. I do fist pumps in my cubicle at work, etc.
 :kstatriot:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Bookcat

Re: Does having a good basketball team put a spring in your step?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »
I was proud wearing my purple around Hilton Coliseum Saturday. Felt kinda sad for our opponent. Wanted to help them, almost.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
Makes a bad winter so much more bearable.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »
After we won CTR I silently chanted "We own Texas" every time I stepped outside, for like a week.

(<== Lives in Texas)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:06 AM »
I was proud wearing my purple around Hilton Coliseum Saturday. Felt kinda sad for our opponent. Wanted to help them, almost.

Describe the atmosphere Book

Bookcat

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:48:01 AM »

Describe the atmosphere Book

Think Bramlage 2003 with passive students crammed behind both baskets. 

I passed on the Walkin' Taco and instead got a hot dog which, sad to say, kicks ours to the curb.  Hilton Coliseum, in terms of architecture and design is really kick ass. Makes the 'Gon look plain....but the fans in the stands make it a no comparison. We simply have one of the best student sections in the Big XII if not the country.
The students are spoiled if they want to even bitch about being put a section over or in the corner.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
The students are spoiled if they want to even bitch about being put a section over or in the corner.

I would argue that this is a big reason we have one of the best student sections though.  I would rather have them there than myself.  And I consider myself good at yelling onscure and hurtful things when it's quiet. 

Bookcat

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 07:54:33 AM »

I would argue that this is a big reason we have one of the best student sections though.  I would rather have them there than myself.  And I consider myself good at yelling onscure and hurtful things when it's quiet. 

agreed. I don't want it to change. But you've got to wonder, as demand for season tickets increases and people are willing to donate the $1000 per season ticket for a chairback...are the students going to get pinched? I certainly hope not. Not just yet.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »

agreed. I don't want it to change. But you've got to wonder, as demand for season tickets increases and people are willing to donate the $1000 per season ticket for a chairback...are the students going to get pinched? I certainly hope not. Not just yet.

I say we just put chairbacks on all the sh1tty old people bleacher seats to make them feel special.  It's not like they care or know any better.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:03:34 AM »
Spring in my step? crap son, it gives me a reason to wake up in the morning. I can't shake the feeling that one day, Currie is going to take that way from me. God help the world* if he does.

*prolly just kill the cubiclites near me
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline C_Manbeck

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »

There will be no change in the student seats in the near future. Talked to Currie about it a couple of weeks ago.

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:34 AM »

There will be no change in the student seats in the near future. Talked to Currie about it a couple of weeks ago.

Won't happen because the Athletic Department is contractually obligated to guarantee a high number of student seats (can't remember the number) and the location of those seats.

It was the students who bailed the university out when building what was to become the OOD when they couldn't get anyone but Fred Bramlage to donate money to build the thing.  The seat guarantees were part of that.

Bookcat

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
good info.

our student section is top notch.

back on point.....the atmosphere at Hilton was a collection of people who expected to lose but were there just in case of an upset.

when they lose Brackins next year....McDermott won't last another two seasons, imho.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
the annual donations per non-student seat are pretty low.  there's a ton of room to increase prices without touching the student section.

the a.d. just needs to be careful not increase prices faster than demand increases.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »
Won't happen because the Athletic Department is contractually obligated to guarantee a high number of student seats (can't remember the number) and the location of those seats.

It was the students who bailed the university out when building what was to become the OOD when they couldn't get anyone but Fred Bramlage to donate money to build the thing.  The seat guarantees were part of that.

I would love to see this contract/agreement.  I keep hearing about it but would like to see what it entails.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »
the annual donations per non-student seat are pretty low.  there's a ton of room to increase prices without touching the student section.

the a.d. just needs to be careful not increase prices faster than demand increases.

they could raise the price of the donation for my seats by 25% and i wouldn't blink.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »

I would love to see this contract/agreement.  I keep hearing about it but would like to see what it entails.

The number of student seats is guaranteed by the arrangement, but not location.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »

The number of student seats is guaranteed by the arrangement, but not location.

:runaway:

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »

I say we just put chairbacks on all the sh1tty old people bleacher seats to make them feel special.  It's not like they care or know any better.

I like this idea. Also, need to keep them higher up so the old folks don't have to complain about "walking so far down those damned stairs" all the time. Raise their required donation per seat just enough to cover the cost of the new chairs the first season plus about 3-5% profit.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »

I like this idea. Also, need to keep them higher up so the old folks don't have to complain about "walking so far down those damned stairs" all the time. Raise their required donation per seat just enough to cover the cost of the new chairs the first season plus about 3-5% profit.

We could have one section serviced by a stairway lift, and charge like 100x normal ticket prices.

catzacker

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »
I wouldn't think a 20% increase in non-student tickets, if pitched properly, would be too difficult, it's not much when you break it down per game.  Students need to stay where they are at; that's imperative.  But they prolly need a 5-8% increase in their tickets.  I think if we (a) win a couple of Tourney games and (b) frank gets a deal done, that currie would be able to increase tickets without much complaining.  But after that, short of a F4 run the following year, it'd be tough to do anything more than incremental increases for at least 3-4 years.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:39:52 AM by catzacker »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »
You know, for as often as you hear the rumors of "blank checks" being plopped down by millionares to guarantee the firings of coaches we really don't have much money.  Hey geniuses:  Next time one of these things comes our way add, like, 4 more zeros than you think you currently need. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 11:37:27 AM »

Printed exel docs today. When i went to the printer, dude handed me them and asked "how many did you print?" and i was like

:bball:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 02:45:42 PM »
Interesting thread, especially when you consider the criticism Jayhawk fans receive for being proud of KU's success. 

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »

why am i not suprised at the "fist pumps"  :jerk:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."