Author Topic: Prince was Snyder's fault.  (Read 5527 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Prince was Snyder's fault.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
No one would be bitching had this coaching staff recruited 1 or 2 serviceable JC LB and 1 serviceable JC dual threat quarterback.    Nobody on this board is expecting a Big 12 Championship.   I still think there's plenty of opportunity to get bowl eligible, but if the defense continues to perform like they are . . . that has got to be reevaluated at the end the season, and we all saw what happened the last time Bill was getting pressure to make coaching changes.

So what's the rush?  Untangle your panties and let them dry out.  Wait until the end of the season and make your case then.  Do you know how this season will end?  After the LA Laf. game last year, did anyone on this board have a clue how we'd perform against ISU, A&M, CU, KU?  Take a look at this recap and watch the handy little video http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302610264. Look familiar?  And what did Wash do next? 

Yeah, we have some major issues on Defense.  I saw some really ugly stuff from our LB's and safeties after watching my dvr'ed version. Got a major problem at QB. That's been an issue all season.  Let's see if they are addressed.  If not, then start whining all you want, I won't complain.  Hell, I'll even join you. 

Oh, and a little more perspective.... Without the resurgence in the early 90's, KSU could likely be playing in a different conference and division.  We were in violation of D1 season ticket sales standards (selling too few for several years) in the late 80's.  The Big 8 didn't want us.  May have even gone the way of WSU and dropped the program all together.  You think this board and ksufans.com before it would even exist based on our basketball success from 1989 - 2007?  Maybe, but I doubt it.  Maybe in some small way, your "sonofdaxjones" online persona is the result of Synder's work.

Just giving you a little static.  But seriously, what's the rush at this point? 

so your point is that ksu sucked so bad at football twenty years ago that it almost completely changed the university for the worse and that we should currently have a wait and see attitude towards the football program and not make a big deal about perceived problems with it? oh. okay then. gotcha. that makes total sense.

:flush:
Wow you seem awful defensive about this.  Have to admit this comes off pretty badly for you.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »
No one would be bitching had this coaching staff recruited 1 or 2 serviceable JC LB and 1 serviceable JC dual threat quarterback.    Nobody on this board is expecting a Big 12 Championship.   I still think there's plenty of opportunity to get bowl eligible, but if the defense continues to perform like they are . . . that has got to be reevaluated at the end the season, and we all saw what happened the last time Bill was getting pressure to make coaching changes.

So what's the rush?  Untangle your panties and let them dry out.  Wait until the end of the season and make your case then.  Do you know how this season will end?  After the LA Laf. game last year, did anyone on this board have a clue how we'd perform against ISU, A&M, CU, KU?  Take a look at this recap and watch the handy little video http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302610264. Look familiar?  And what did Wash do next? 

Yeah, we have some major issues on Defense.  I saw some really ugly stuff from our LB's and safeties after watching my dvr'ed version. Got a major problem at QB. That's been an issue all season.  Let's see if they are addressed.  If not, then start whining all you want, I won't complain.  Hell, I'll even join you. 

Oh, and a little more perspective.... Without the resurgence in the early 90's, KSU could likely be playing in a different conference and division.  We were in violation of D1 season ticket sales standards (selling too few for several years) in the late 80's.  The Big 8 didn't want us.  May have even gone the way of WSU and dropped the program all together.  You think this board and ksufans.com before it would even exist based on our basketball success from 1989 - 2007?  Maybe, but I doubt it.  Maybe in some small way, your "sonofdaxjones" online persona is the result of Synder's work.

Just giving you a little static.  But seriously, what's the rush at this point? 

Good post, and welcome to the board.

No one (no one rational) is suggesting that Snyder doesn't deserve to have a great deal of credit for how we got to our lofty heights as a legitimate candidate for membership of a BCS conference.  We are solidly the Mississippi State of the Big 12 thanks in large part to his efforts.

However, to suggest that you can't make evaluations or predictions of where we will end up at this particular point in the season doesn't completely jibe with your original point.  You cited ISU, A&M, CU, and KU from last year as an example.  I'd say that after this next week, since we will have faced half of those teams, that we'll have a pretty good barometer of where we are, no?  I mean, you have sub in the Baylor game for the aTm game, but that's merely another week away past KU.

We didn't wait until the end of the season to fire Ron, was that a mistake?  I don't believe it was a mistake.

I get that our last two games are @CU and @UNT, so we should be optimistic about that, but after the Baylor game we are going to get rough ridin' blown out for three weeks in a row....should we judge Bill's team then?  

Offline CatGeek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
Good post, and welcome to the board.

No one (no one rational) is suggesting that Snyder doesn't deserve to have a great deal of credit for how we got to our lofty heights as a legitimate candidate for membership of a BCS conference.  We are solidly the Mississippi State of the Big 12 thanks in large part to his efforts.

However, to suggest that you can't make evaluations or predictions of where we will end up at this particular point in the season doesn't completely jibe with your original point.  You cited ISU, A&M, CU, and KU from last year as an example.  I'd say that after this next week, since we will have faced half of those teams, that we'll have a pretty good barometer of where we are, no?  I mean, you have sub in the Baylor game for the aTm game, but that's merely another week away past KU.

We didn't wait until the end of the season to fire Ron, was that a mistake?  I don't believe it was a mistake.

I get that our last two games are @CU and @UNT, so we should be optimistic about that, but after the Baylor game we are going to get foooocking blown out for three weeks in a row....should we judge Bill's team then?  

I cited those four games not as bellwethers to compare to this year. Different year different teams.  Those were performances I was not expecting to see given the start of the season.  The point is, one or two performances don't always translate into a trend.  Take the Tech game from 2009.  What a freaking disaster.  We gave up 587 yards against NU Thursday.  Any guesses what we gave up last year to Tech?  http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292832641, try 739.

Comparing when Prince got canned to any official decision to be made on Snyder's employment is a complete non-starter.  Barring some type of scandal, Snyder absolutely deserves to finish out any season he is coaching (see my earlier post).  He has earned at least that from the University.  What kind of goodwill did Prince earn? 

I understand a major attraction to online sports boards is all the conjecture stuff.  The whole predictions pissing match, where you earn your community brownie points based on how many predictions you got right and can repost or link to later.  Maybe this season will tank for us like KU's did last year.  Maybe it won't and we get to a bowl.  I don't know.  We can talk and debate those kinds of things.  But for the people calling for Snyder's head:

1. Take a deep breath.
2. Get some perspective.
3. Set clear expectations (like: field a team and play football in 2009; go to bowl in 2010; go to a bowl and finish over .500 in Big 12 in 2011) etc.
3. Gather a body of work (like a full season or two or three) for evidence.
4. Make your case on your evidence--not on your clairvoyance.

So yeah, we should absolutely judge Bill's team.  Judge away.  But if you're going to call for a coaching change, then make a case on something more than hot air.  (Not making that point about your post, but to the general tone on the board the last couple of days).

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »
Everyone, please run your reasons for wanting a coaching change by CatGeek before you post them.  He can tell you if they're good or not.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
LHC Bill Snyder is a  legend but he is still just a man.

He's like Ceasar walking around Vanier with an assistant constantly reminding him in his ear "you're only a man"....

I love the guy for nostalgia purposes, but if Kstate football is going to get back to having a team that can hang with the Top 10's...its going to take alot more than Del Miller and Chris Cosh.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
That’s my biggest issue.

The guy is unquestionably a hall of famer and the run he made during the DOD was incredible for all K-Staters and an amazing accomplishment simply for what it was and where the program had been.  I absolutely, 100% appreciate that and have a tremendous amount of respect for all that he has meant to our school.

However, to continually deny the existence of some legitimate problems affecting this program is to impede our future ability for this school to compete at a high level again.  We can either heed the warning signs or we can choose not to and allow for them to decay the program because we believe Snyder is entitled  to immunity to do whatever he wants no matter what the consequences may be.

Objectively speaking, these problems were responsible for the demise of K-State football and continue to be at the root of what are holding us back:

-   First and foremost, for the winningest head coach in school program, a man that was the heart and soul of the program, one that he built with his bare hands from the ground up and presided over for a decade and half, to not have an orchestrated succession plan in place is completely inexcusable.  Then to compound the problem, not only did he not have a succession plan, he then acted as a non-participant bystander as the buffoons in Anderson proceeded to make one of the worst hires in school history to assume leadership of the football program which prolonged the rebuilding process another 3 years.

-   Second, coaching staff retention was a major factor the first go around and continues to be so today.  Whether it is an unwillingness to reward his top assistants financially, a perceived lack of appreciation, or an intolerable work environment, the continual revolving door amongst our top level of the coaching staff is a debilitating problem.   Allowing this program to be coached by a bunch of unwanted retreads is what prompted Snyder’s retirement the first time around.  Assembling the same staff outside of Koenning and Ludwig and then allowing both of those two to abandon the staff in a year’s time is absurd.  

-   Third, recruiting goes hand in hand with the coaching turnover and coaching staff in general.  It killed our program following the Big XII Title.  The fact that we recruited so poorly in the years leading to the Big XII Title is the primary reason we finished dead in the conference in the years following.

-   Fourth, facilities continue to play a major role and during the early 2000’s teams like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Missouri, KU all programs we dominated, made major commitments to upgrading their facilities to improve their competitive ability in the league.  We did nothing, we felt the repercussions, and now we’re desperately playing catch up.

-   Finally, we have to, as a fan base, get beyond this belief that Snyder is the only head coach capable of winning at K-State.  We also need to eradicate this deep seated powerespect dogma that “anything is ok” because we used to really suck for a long period of time and anything is better.  It’s a loser’s mentality and one that will perpetuate mediocrity forever as long at it exists.

In conclusion, I strongly dislike Chris Cosh.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:07:22 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
Everyone, please run your reasons for wanting a coaching change by CatGeek before you post them.  He can tell you if they're good or not.

man, that's embarrassing for you. :lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
I don't know how many times LHC Bill Snyder needs to repeat his "I'm here to calm the waters" line before people realize that our AD should be searching for a new coach right now.

We don't need an HCIW.  We need an HC.  Now.  Snyder has said it over and over.  Currie needs to find one before Snyder gets fed up with the feet dragging and quits again.

Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch because they think Snyder should be finding the HCIW.  That's not his job.  That's not what he is good at.  He doesn't want to do it.  He doesn't want to recruit and he doesn't want to coach.  Why don't people believe him?

This is not a Bobby Bowden situation.

HIRE JIM LEAVITT NOW AND LET HIM START RECRUITING HIS STAFF FOR NEXT YEAR.  THIS SHOULD BE BOB HUGGINS II. 

IT CAN'T BE MORE OBVIOUS.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
I don't know how many times LHC Bill Snyder needs to repeat his "I'm here to calm the waters" line before people realize that our AD should be searching for a new coach right now.

We don't need an HCIW.  We need an HC.  Now.  Snyder has said it over and over.  Currie needs to find one before Snyder gets fed up with the feet dragging and quits again.

Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch because they think Snyder should be finding the HCIW.  That's not his job.  That's not what he is good at.  He doesn't want to do it.  He doesn't want to recruit and he doesn't want to coach.  Why don't people believe him?

HIRE JIM LEAVITT NOW AND LET HIM START RECRUITING HIS STAFF FOR NEXT YEAR.  THIS SHOULD BE BOB HUGGINS II. 

IT CAN'T BE MORE OBVIOUS.

NO rough ridin' JIM LEAVITT!

DAMMIT!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
I don't want leavitt either.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
You can break down the KSU football fan base into a few subgroups based on who their choice would be for the next head coach:

Want to be entertained.  Live for pak'n and telling stories about pak'n.  Have already assembled their Jack Sparrow costume and are just waiting: Mike Leach

Extremely vain.  Want to hang out with the pretty people.  Read People magazine and watch Jersey Shore: Brent Venables

Delusional.  Spend most of their time working on get rich quick schemes.  Will not stop talking about the Brown brothers:  Gary Patterson or Bob Stoops

Old.  Had season tickets since the 70's.  Still bitter that they fired Jim Dickey: Dana Dimel

Want to win.  Highly successful and driven: Jim Leavitt  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:56:39 AM by Ira Hayes »

Offline Acceleration Man

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
Good thread with some good discussion on both sides. I have to agree w/ CatGeek that we should wait for a few more games to get a sense of where we are. We all knew we weren't a great team anyhow this year, and I think it was impressive that we were able to go 4-0. Now obviously the Nub game was simply a terrible performance all-around, no doubt. Some of the reasons given for that performance are definitely valid (lack of talent influx, bad coaching, poor adjustments, etc.). However, I think if we get to 7 wins this year, (either through a 6-6 season, and a bowl win, or a 7-5 season and a bowl loss), that is acceptable improvement. If that occurs, forcing Snyd's out shouldn't be considered this year.

One of the flags flying high on the anti-Snyd's bandwagon is inability to recruit talent to key positions (LB, QB in particular). I can agree to some extent, but I believe this has been taken too far based on the evidence so far. This staff's first class was a rag-tag class because of the hand they were dealt. Snyd's readily admitted that they had to scramble to find kids in a short amount of time after Prince's firing. Add to this that Prince burned a lot of the bridges that Snyd's had built and the roster was full of Jucos and sub-par HS talent already, and I don't think you can judge the 2009 recruiting class too harshly. Yeah, it wasn't very good, but look at the circumstances. Last year we got some good Juco talent as always, and a few good HS kids, and some "meh". Not getting one or 2 Juco LBs or a great HS or Juco dual-threat is a valid complaint. Still, in overall talent it was an improvement -- plus, it wasn't a very big class.

Now this year we seem to be bringing in decent talent at some key positions. Again, a Juco LB or 2 would be nice, but hey it's still early, we have AB, plus we have several young *** HS LBs on the roster. And we have 2 dual threat QBs committed including the top-ranked Juco duelie -- plus they're both black. Isn't that what you naysayers are looking for? The :runaway: attitude towards the recruiting is some weak sauce IMO.

So I'm saying that if we get to a bowl this year, I'd like to see what Snyd's could do next year, and then make a judgment. Now, if this season ends up imploding and we finish 5-7 or worse, then it would be hard to argue against those who'd want to see him go. Personally, I'd be OK with at least one more year in this scenario IF he was willing to step up and fire one or both coordinators and get someone with some good creds. into the program (I know that's a big "if").

-   First and foremost, for the winningest head coach in school program, a man that was the heart and soul of the program, one that he built with his bare hands from the ground up and presided over for a decade and half, to not have an orchestrated succession plan in place is completely inexcusable.

I completely agree with this (I get the reasoning when he retired, although I don't necessarily agree with it -- but to step away, watch what happened, and then come back and still not have a succession plan... crazy). This is probably my biggest disappointment in Snyd's so far (which I suppose is tied directly to our Coordinators).

-   Second, coaching staff retention was a major factor the first go around and continues to be so today.  Whether it is an unwillingness to reward his top assistants financially, a perceived lack of appreciation, or an intolerable work environment, the continual revolving door amongst our top level of the coaching staff is a debilitating problem.   Allowing this program to be coached by a bunch of unwanted retreads is what prompted Snyder’s retirement the first time around.  Assembling the same staff outside of Koenning and Ludwig and then allowing both of those two to abandon the staff in a year’s time is absurd.  

Have to agree. Like I said above, I don't think we need to call for his resignation because of this yet, but it is definitely concerning.

-   Finally, we have to, as a fan base, get beyond this belief that Snyder is the only head coach capable of winning at K-State.  We also need to eradicate this deep seated powerespect dogma that “anything is ok” because we used to really suck for a long period of time and anything is better.  It’s a loser’s mentality and one that will perpetuate mediocrity forever as long at it exists.

Agreed, BUT along with that I think we have to be especially careful who we hire so we don't end up w/ Prince 2.0, and go in with our eyes open to the fact that when we make a hire from outside the program, there will likely be some rather severe growing pains. This is why I'm particularly disappointed in Snyd's not bringing in a top-tier assistant or 2 that fit his system, that would be viable HCIW. Would make the transition a whole lot easier and less dangerous. But, doesn't look like that will happen.  :frown:

In conclusion, I still disagree with Rusty, although I can respect most of his opinions, and if OK_Cat doesn't start taking his Zoloft, I may finish him myself.  :cheers:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:03 PM »
I will literally rape your mother.  not joking.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
and if OK_Cat doesn't start taking his Zoloft, I may finish him myself.  :cheers:

pftt...*

* That's all i read of your post, fwiw.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Acceleration Man

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline CatGeek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
That’s my biggest issue.

The guy is unquestionably a hall of famer and the run he made during the DOD was incredible for all K-Staters and an amazing accomplishment simply for what it was and where the program had been.  I absolutely, 100% appreciate that and have a tremendous amount of respect for all that he has meant to our school.

However, to continually deny the existence of some legitimate problems affecting this program is to impede our future ability for this school to compete at a high level again.  We can either heed the warning signs or we can choose not to and allow for them to decay the program because we believe Snyder is entitled  to immunity to do whatever he wants no matter what the consequences may be.

Objectively speaking, these problems were responsible for the demise of K-State football and continue to be at the root of what are holding us back:

-   First and foremost, for the winningest head coach in school program, a man that was the heart and soul of the program, one that he built with his bare hands from the ground up and presided over for a decade and half, to not have an orchestrated succession plan in place is completely inexcusable.  Then to compound the problem, not only did he not have a succession plan, he then acted as a non-participant bystander as the buffoons in Anderson proceeded to make one of the worst hires in school history to assume leadership of the football program which prolonged the rebuilding process another 3 years.

-   Third, recruiting goes hand in hand with the coaching turnover and coaching staff in general.  It killed our program following the Big XII Title.  The fact that we recruited so poorly in the years leading to the Big XII Title is the primary reason we finished dead in the conference in the years following.

-   Fourth, facilities continue to play a major role and during the early 2000’s teams like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Missouri, KU all programs we dominated, made major commitments to upgrading their facilities to improve their competitive ability in the league.  We did nothing, we felt the repercussions, and now we’re desperately playing catch up.

In conclusion, I strongly dislike Chris Cosh.

Good post.  I don't disagree with any of this.  Although I will pick at one nit though, for clarity sake.

Not denying this attitude exists out there, but a more prominent attitude exists by evidenced by the Prince dismissal.  If most backers of KSU football really believe as you describe, Prince could still be here today.  'Hey it's not as bad as the 1980s, give him another year or two.'  Prince was reluctantly let go by Krause/Wefald because they faced a mutiny of backers who were demanding much more.  That's a good thing, I agree, standards should be very high.  But let's not confuse deference for Snyder as an "anything is ok", perpetuate mediocrity attitude. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
Old.  Had season tickets since the 70's.  Still bitter that they fired Jim Dickey: Dana Dimel

Want to win.  Highly successful and driven: Jim Leavitt  

No one wants Dana Dimel dude, as a matter of fact old tards want Leavitt and you know that its precisely why you made up that Dimel crap.  Old tards and you think its okay for coaches to slap,  choke out players and then threaten their family, are also okay with doing no better than 4th in the 8 team shitty Big East.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
choke out players

:love:

Of course, WTF was I thinking, he'd be elite to pak with.  He isn't doing crap, let's find him and invite him to Boulder or Kansas Day Pak.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 08:28:34 AM »
  Old tards and you think its okay for coaches to slap,  choke out players and then threaten their family, are also okay with doing no better than 4th in the 8 team shitty Big East.

We don't have a candidate that hasn't done similar or worse things.

Except for maybe Dimel.

Are you hoping to steal Gill?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »
  Old tards and you think its okay for coaches to slap,  choke out players and then threaten their family, are also okay with doing no better than 4th in the 8 team shitty Big East.

We don't have a candidate that hasn't done similar or worse things.

Except for maybe Dimel.

Are you hoping to steal Gill?

We're only required to hire guys that have been recently fired or dudes with issues?  Forgive me for not feeling so inferior. 

Why would you ask me about Gill?

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »

FMP

I actually had a point to make, but it was obviously lost when I mentioned Leavitt.