Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457237 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »
but i still also wonder if the staff isn't making an active effort to conceal recruiting efforts for some unknowable reason.  i know it sounds stupid, but i still wonder it.

There is prolly some truth to this.  Frank is very paranoid. 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »
i think there is a small recruiting decline effect (loss of dca connection), but there is a far greater lack-of-coverage effect.

i've run this idea past several of the kstate media, and basically had it shot down.  but i still also wonder if the staff isn't making an active effort to conceal recruiting efforts for some unknowable reason.  i know it sounds stupid, but i still wonder it.

I've noticed the decline in DCA kids, so I'll agree that the lack of progress there is concerning.  I have noticed an increase in interest towards local kids (Spradling, McCollugah [sp?]), NYC kids, and the ever popular Florida kids.

As long as Art is in Miami, we'll have an "in" with the Tropics.  I believe that if we want him, Rodriguez will be in this class, and I'm fine with that.  I also like Nino Williams.  

I wish we were in on more 150 recruits like everyone else, but I guess I'm content to wait and see what recruiting looks like after the summer before I get really concerned about it.  Assuming Rodriguez will be in this class, we have 1-2 spots to fill (depending on the rollover from the open one this year).  So I get the 'being picky' angle too.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »
KSU got a TON of mentions from top 100 types in the 08 and 09 classes, and they didn't come via J-Mart - they all came from guys like Telep and Meyer in their AAU tourney recaps.  The only mention we got from Boo Williams is Suarez, and that's really pathetic.  J-Mart has nothing to do with it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2010, 07:54:59 AM »
KSU got a TON of mentions from top 100 types in the 08 and 09 classes, and they didn't come via J-Mart - they all came from guys like Telep and Meyer in their AAU tourney recaps.  The only mention we got from Boo Williams is Suarez, and that's really pathetic.  J-Mart has nothing to do with it.

yeah, that's why i wonder about the idea that the staff is covering their tracks.

i do think they are being very targeted with their '11 ships, basically just recruiting a pg (3 targets?), and probably an unknown big.  but you'd think that there would be a scattering of mentions with the big targets, even if they're only looking at a small number of possibilities for one 'ship.  and there aren't.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »
maybe the staff just knows that they can win by doing things the right way.  they don't need the "mercedes" recruits to win, instead they're building a foundation the way it is meant to be built and that will last.

i'd love to see what kind of recruiting the lot of you who are being so critical could pull off.  i know this much, none of the sh*t talkers here have been to the Elite Eight before, guess what?  Frank and his staff have been.  Tia.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:20 AM »
maybe the staff just knows that they can win by doing things the right way.  they don't need the "mercedes" recruits to win, instead they're building a foundation the way it is meant to be built and that will last.

i'd love to see what kind of recruiting the lot of you who are being so critical could pull off.  i know this much, none of the sh*t talkers here have been to the Elite Eight before, guess what?  Frank and his staff have been.  Tia.

F'ing love clams.  Need to finish that with a "u digg?" though.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »

That's how the SLTH talk begins...

:ohno:

catzacker

« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »

yeah, that's why i wonder about the idea that the staff is covering their tracks.

i do think they are being very targeted with their '11 ships, basically just recruiting a pg (3 targets?), and probably an unknown big.  but you'd think that there would be a scattering of mentions with the big targets, even if they're only looking at a small number of possibilities for one 'ship.  and there aren't.

I don't know how staffs could possibly do this.  The only way a KSU mention goes undocumented is because the kid was never asked because the kid wasn't/isn't on anyone's radar because he's not getting looks by anyone worth mentioning.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:19 AM »
Also, insidery grumblings here, don't expect any DCA commits anytime soon  :blindfold:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »

'clams might be the most hard to read(not literal) poster in this place.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »
I don't know how staffs could possibly do this.  The only way a KSU mention goes undocumented is because the kid was never asked because the kid wasn't/isn't on anyone's radar because he's not getting looks by anyone worth mentioning.  

just ask the recruit not to mention.  that part is really easy.  the difficult part with the hypothesis is coming up with a motivation.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:23 AM »

F'ing love clams.  Need to finish that with a "u digg?" though.
damn it.  i considered a u digg? but didn't go with one.  damn it. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

catzacker

« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »

just ask the recruit not to mention.  that part is really easy.  the difficult part with the hypothesis is coming up with a motivation.

Frank's cuban, he saw what happened at the Bay of Pigs when information gets leaked out.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »

The only semi-plausible, posititve scenrio is that your both correct.  We have a commitment/near commitment from sombeody (not sucky) on nobody's radar and we are trying to keep him hidden.  Like Mitchell from last year, but we're keeping him under wraps.  I find this unlikely, but it's the only plausible hidden recruit theory.  I don't think we're recruiting a bunch of current 5-stars and telling them not to mention us.  Nothing at all to gain there.  If you say the class is Nino, elite DIR Mitchell type, and whatever PG we get out of the guys we are recruiting, you might be able to sleep a little better.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »
Above theory is made a little more plausible by the idea that we seemingly aren't talking to any bigs at all.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »
Also, insidery grumblings here, don't expect any DCA commits anytime soon  :blindfold:

Is this related to the fallout from the Beasley - Joel Bell relationship going south or other factors?  :frown:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
The only semi-plausible, positive scenario...

i don't even consider it along the spectrum of positive or negative.  just an attempt to resolve the lack of mentions (be it from elites, near elites, near pathetics or pathetics) with the past abundance of mentions from the same staff.

i mean,  there is just very little current evidence that the kstate staff is doing any recruiting outside of kansas.  and that lack of evidence doesn't conform with either past tendencies, or what people say about the staff's commitment to recruiting.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »

The only semi-plausible, posititve scenrio is that your both correct.  We have a commitment/near commitment from sombeody (not sucky) on nobody's radar and we are trying to keep him hidden.  Like Mitchell from last year, but we're keeping him under wraps.  I find this unlikely, but it's the only plausible hidden recruit theory.  I don't think we're recruiting a bunch of current 5-stars and telling them not to mention us.  Nothing at all to gain there.  If you say the class is Nino, elite DIR Mitchell type, and whatever PG we get out of the guys we are recruiting, you might be able to sleep a little better.

hidcommit    :surprised:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »
the only plausible hidden recruit theory.

yeah, something like that or a foreign big is probably the most plausible.  but even if it was a proverbial silent commit, wouldn't there be mentions from backup plan bigs?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Are there any more DCA guys that live in Florida?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
Its entirely possible the staff got tired of getting in on guys/getting mentions with guys early, then losing out on most of those guys.  Reaction could be a) keeping things more quiet or b) changed recruiting targets/strategy.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
Related; some nice #DCAssault tweeting from JamSam.

http://twitter.com/JamSam32

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
the only plausible hidden recruit theory.

yeah, something like that or a foreign big is probably the most plausible.  but even if it was a proverbial silent commit, wouldn't there be mentions from backup plan bigs?

Ahh...but you are forgetting the overconfident with recruits theorem.  Can't ignore the fundamental laws of Frank Martin recruiting.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »
If only it were really true:

JamSam32    #DCAssault is the only team that if you play with them you going to KSTATE it's a rap. Pack your bags you in Manhattan, Kansas lmao
7 minutes ago via mobile web

catzacker

« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
Are we just in denial?  Would it be fair to say that without the influence of Beasley/Huggs, this staff has gotten Gilbert, Awaji, Clemente, Kelly, Irving, Russell, Asprilla, Sprads, Southwell, and Nino?  Kind of an underwhelming group overall.  Further, would it be fair to say that most of these guys were "late" additions/mentions?