Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457166 times)

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1425 on: August 05, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »
... If you are capable of reading between the lines at all, Kedren Johnson is the only guard UF has been actively recruiting that they would take in the Fall.

If Austin Rivers did a complete 180, and said he wanted to recommit there, I'm sure they would take him. Same as if Josiah Turner, Ky Madden, and Quinn Cook all had miraculous epiphanys that they should become Gators. But anybody with a half brain realizes that's not happening.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Good work in that thread UW

Just reppin the KSU Cats bro!

Most of our fans on the national board are the tardiest of tards :frown:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:34:29 PM by steve dave »

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »
... If you are capable of reading between the lines at all, Kedren Johnson is the only guard UF has been actively recruiting that they would take in the Fall.

If Austin Rivers did a complete 180, and said he wanted to recommit there, I'm sure they would take him. Same as if Josiah Turner, Ky Madden, and Quinn Cook all had miraculous epiphanys that they should become Gators. But anybody with a half brain realizes that's not happening.

That's who I was specifically thinking of.  I know it looks like Duke for him, but I would imagine that UF would take him in a heartbeat if he was suddenly available.  Guess I just don't like people making such concrete statements about things that are still undecided.  

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 05, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
Word on Rivers is that it's going to come down to Duke and UNC. He may still give them the obligatory mention in his updates, but UF doesn't really stand a snowball's chance in hell and they know it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 05, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »
i still like ar-t, btw.  would be happy to get him if somehow diaz, jhr and irving get pushed out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: August 05, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
With a guy like Gipson, though, I think it's a bit superficial to get amped amped up about his player ranking.  He sucks if he's not in the top-100, but he's good if he's in the top-100?  The fact is that the guy has offers from 5-6 solid BCS schools.  Obviously, he's a valuable player.  And when these HS kids get on a college campus, all bets are off.  See Judge (5*) v. Pullen (3*).   

Nobody has even mentioned his ranking more than in passing except for you.  I certainly haven't except in general response to the "should be top 100" comment. 

hadwood elite has him top 100.

http://www.hardwoodelite.com/prospects-list.php

booyah

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »
With a guy like Gipson, though, I think it's a bit superficial to get amped amped up about his player ranking.  He sucks if he's not in the top-100, but he's good if he's in the top-100?  The fact is that the guy has offers from 5-6 solid BCS schools.  Obviously, he's a valuable player.  And when these HS kids get on a college campus, all bets are off.  See Judge (5*) v. Pullen (3*).   

Nobody has even mentioned his ranking more than in passing except for you.  I certainly haven't except in general response to the "should be top 100" comment. 

booyah

I see what you did there.  :lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 05, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »

booyah

Ranked ahead of Harrison, COMPELETELY different style of players that you can't really make head to head comparison between, but still, noteworthy.

doubledribble

« Reply #1433 on: August 05, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
What????  Gipson will end up in the top 100?  I got slammed for saying that yesterday.  Sorry Angel, we don't want 3 stars.  And just because you are offered by Billy Donovan, that's not good enough either. :jerk:  Ask KU and Mizzou how their 5 star studs are going pan out for them.  Oh, and Jake nothing special his freshmen year.  Go back and watch the tape vs. KU at home.  Kid hung 20 points on the squawks. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 05, 2010, 04:39:03 PM »
I agree that Jake was more than "nothing special" as a frosh.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 05, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
'grats doubledribble.

doubledribble

« Reply #1436 on: August 05, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
Jake Pullen:  23 minutes, 9.7 pts, and 3.2 assists per game as a frosh.  Not bad for playing by Beaz.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 05, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
What????  Gipson will end up in the top 100?  I got slammed for saying that yesterday.

good call.  booyah.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Okay, Okay . . . I am no where close to going all in on DD, but I am giving some serious consideration to doubling down.

doubledribble

« Reply #1439 on: August 05, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »
dug up some stuff on angel.  not all in on him yet but the qualities he speaks of remind me of dc.  offers from miami, nc state, florida.  notice how these kids frank gets in on early there value goes up over time.  definitely would take a-rod over selby.  that may spark a debate but would rather have a kid for 4 years than never stepping foot on campus but bragging to all your friends about how at least you could recruit kids like that.  Right BMW, oh wait my bad. :kstatriot:

By MANNY NAVARRO
[email protected]
In his many glorious seasons at Miami High, Shakey Rodriguez coached some of the greatest players to ever dribble a basketball in Miami-Dade County: Jose Ramos. Cesar Portillo. Vernon Delancy. Doug Edwards. Allen Edwards. Steve Edwards. Gimel Martinez.

All won state championships and starred in college. But there is something about junior Angel Rodriguez, his latest star pupil at Dr. Krop High, that makes the coach with five state championships and a 579-90 career record believe he could be the most special player he has coached.

``Angel is a bulldog,'' said Rodriguez, whose Lightning (26-4) takes on Orlando Dr. Phillips (26-5) at 8:30 p.m. Friday in its first state final four appearance. ``When the game's on the line, he's not going to let you lose. Not every great player has that quality. But Angel does. Jose Ramos did. Doug Edwards was like that. To me, before he graduates, he has a chance to be as good a guard as any in Dade County -- that includes Chris Corchiani.''

Since his arrival from Puerto Rico last year, Rodriguez (an All-Dade first-team selection last season as a sophomore) has led the Lightning in scoring and assists and to the GMAC title a year ago and now its first trip to Lakeland.

In last Saturday's regional final against Columbus, the 5-11 point guard scored 39 points, taking over in the second half to turn three-point game at halftime into Krop's third double-digit victory in the regional playoffs.

That outing was typical. In most of the Lightning's most impressive victories this season, it was Rodriguez, no relation to his coach, who was usually at the center of the late-game push. In a win over Jacksonville power Arlington Country Day, Rodriguez scored 38 points -- most in the second half. In a district rivalry win over Carol City at home, he scored 11 consecutive points in the fourth quarter to turn a close game into a blowout.

And when he has needed to, Rodriguez -- who is averaging 20.9 points this season -- has turned into the distributor his coach has wanted him to be.

``The thing that is beautiful about Angel is that he's uninterested in the individual side of the game,'' Rodriguez said. ``He's so conscious of the team concept, but he'll go out and get 39 against Columbus because he has to. Then, he'll go have seven points and 10 assists in the next game. He's a special kid with special qualities. It's all about his basketball team. That's the greatest thing a player can have. All his teammates love playing with him.''

Rodriguez, 17, came to Krop as a wing guard, following the footsteps of his cousin, N.C. State junior Javi Gonzalez, who scored a team-high 19 points in a win over the University of Miami last weekend. Rodriguez said he shares a bedroom with two younger brothers in a small apartment with his mother, Jacqueline. He said his family left Puerto Rico to give him a better opportunity to earn a college scholarship.

``There are some days when as an athlete you don't want to play, you want to relax at home,'' Angel Rodriguez said. ``What forces me to get up is them. They came here to help me and my future.''

According to his AAU coach, Art Pilin Alvarez of the Miami Tropics, Rodriguez already has an offer from Kansas State.

``The one thing I hate more than anything else is losing,'' Angel Rodriguez said. ``When it's a game that it's win or go home, I give everything I have in my body to make sure we don't go home. I just believe in my heart I'm going to be successful.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/04/1511826/hes-not-going-to-let-you-lose.html#ixzz0vmDQMC8W

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »
great find.  i like that he's puerto rican.  point being that denis clemente was also puerto rican.

:ksu:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
funny looking back now on that article and shakey saying that when the game was on the line, a-rod wasn't going to let you lose, but then when they played dr. phillips and the game was on the line, they lost. 

still like a-rod tho.  don't know why he doesn't impress on The Circuit.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 05, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
Any one have a link to a vid I can watch with angel? :crossfingers:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 05, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »
Joke's on you guys, we discussed how he and Denis were both Puerto Rican back in March   :blank:

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.msg30088#msg30088
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:54:00 PM by steve dave »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 05, 2010, 09:43:25 PM »
don't know why he doesn't impress on The Circuit.

hardly played.

Offline stobblebobby

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 06, 2010, 08:35:07 AM »
definitely would take a-rod over selby.  that may spark a debate

Spark a debate indeed...

I would suppose the odds are the Josh Selby will end up playing for Kansas this fall. However, where there is smoke there is fire. The question is whether the fire is big enough to be a problem with the NCAA. As you may have heard, he is being investigates for possibly having an oral agreement for future representation by a family friend.
http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/2411

How about Selby just doesn't show up in the first place? Even though Jake owning Selby like he did Jimmer would be fun, seeing Freddy, Wally and JamSam shut out Morris could be just as fun.
KU hating aside... still would probably take Selby over Angel.
Oh, and previous Avatar fail has been corrected.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 06, 2010, 09:30:27 AM »
you would probably take selby over angel?  just probably? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 06, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
don't know why he doesn't impress on The Circuit.

hardly played.

but when he does, all reports are that he's a solid "meh".

doubledribble

« Reply #1448 on: August 06, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »
So after one year of Selby and maybe a sweet 16 or something compared to 4 years of fatty collins?  We have no idea how a-rod will turn out.  Let's say he turns out to be a 12 pts and 5-6 assists guy over the course of his career at ksu.  You still take Selby and the baggage?  Again its that debate about the stars and rankings.  Are the other two guys we are recruiting from dc assault 1 and done?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 06, 2010, 09:46:43 AM »
i will not let you destroy this thread, dobbiedribble.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.