Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457036 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1400 on: August 05, 2010, 12:25:16 AM »
We're going to take guard(s) in 11.   If you don't like a recruit because of the recruit, fire away.  If there are any other 4/5's we were in on that you really wanted, I could see the argument.  To say you don't like a recruit because you think it means we won't be able to get a really good recruit at another position is silly/naive.  

i hope you are correct.

any way you cut it though, as long as diaz is on roster, someone else isn't.  so yes, there are other players (bigs/guards, 11s/12s, whatever) that i would rather have.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:41 AM »
we need an impact guard much more than we need an impact big.  We've basically lost any hope at getting one in this class given Frank's hesitance to oversign.  A-Rod is almost a guarantee at this point....which makes this class suck ass.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »
We're going to take guard(s) in 11.   If you don't like a recruit because of the recruit, fire away.  If there are any other 4/5's we were in on that you really wanted, I could see the argument.  To say you don't like a recruit because you think it means we won't be able to get a really good recruit at another position is silly/naive. 

i hope you are correct.

I'm very confident that he is correct.  Because everything asserted in this thread about Frank's recruiting methodology has been spot on.

Offline threadkiller

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »
We've basically lost any hope at getting one in this class given Frank's hesitance to oversign. 

Well played sir, but your underhanded use of unitalicized sarcasm will not draw me in. 

Offline C_Manbeck

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 05, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
we need an impact guard much more than we need an impact big.  We've basically lost any hope at getting one in this class given Frank's hesitance to oversign.  A-Rod is almost a guarantee at this point....which makes this class suck ass.

Florida offer...

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »

Florida offer...
Does a Florida offer make him suck less? Please expand on that.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »
A-Rod is almost a guarantee at this point....which makes this class suck ass.

For a class to "suck ass," don't the players in the class have to suck ass? 

Everything I'm reading about Gipson is that he could/should be a top #100 player by the time it's all said and done.  Diaz doesn't exactly get dog crap reviews either. 

Is it just the personnel distribution (ie too many bigs v. guards) that your unhappy with? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Everything I'm reading about Gipson is that he could/should be a top #100 player by the time it's all said and done.  Diaz doesn't exactly get dog crap reviews either. 

I hate this talking point.  You read it about everyone.  The thing is, if he's destined to be a top 100 player, which top 100 players aren't supposed to be there?  You know what you rarely read?  Someone posting that their new recruit is currently ranked in the top 100 but when it's all said and done he's prolly not going to be in the top 150.  But, yeah, my primary problem is I've said forever that I really want an impact pg/combo in this class.  As chum has repeatedly pointed out, Frank seems to be happy with the guys we have there.  And, the fact that we have arguably already oversigned tells me our only hope at signing a pg/combo is in the late stages once we've jettisoned some losers....which means we aren't getting a highly rated pg/combo. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »

I hate this talking point.  You read it about everyone.  The thing is, if he's destined to be a top 100 player, which top 100 players aren't supposed to be there?  You know what you rarely read?  Someone posting that their new recruit is currently ranked in the top 100 but when it's all said and done he's prolly not going to be in the top 150.  But, yeah, my primary problem is I've said forever that I really want an impact pg/combo in this class.  As chum has repeatedly pointed out, Frank seems to be happy with the guys we have there.  And, the fact that we have arguably already oversigned tells me our only hope at signing a pg/combo is in the late stages once we've jettisoned some losers....which means we aren't getting a highly rated pg/combo. 

I certainly get where you're coming from re: impact pg/combo guard.  I hope the guys we have develop into playmakers, but outside of Pullen and McGruder, we're pretty unproven. 

With a guy like Gipson, though, I think it's a bit superficial to get amped amped up about his player ranking.  He sucks if he's not in the top-100, but he's good if he's in the top-100?  The fact is that the guy has offers from 5-6 solid BCS schools.  Obviously, he's a valuable player.  And when these HS kids get on a college campus, all bets are off.  See Judge (5*) v. Pullen (3*).   

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
See Judge (5*) v. Pullen (3*).     

please elaborate
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: August 05, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
With a guy like Gipson, though, I think it's a bit superficial to get amped amped up about his player ranking.  He sucks if he's not in the top-100, but he's good if he's in the top-100?  The fact is that the guy has offers from 5-6 solid BCS schools.  Obviously, he's a valuable player.  And when these HS kids get on a college campus, all bets are off.  See Judge (5*) v. Pullen (3*).    

Nobody has even mentioned his ranking more than in passing except for you.  I certainly haven't except in general response to the "should be top 100" comment.  

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 05, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
Is it just the personnel distribution (ie too many bigs v. guards) that your unhappy with? 

I think everyone here is ok with Gipson, the issue is that we need an impact guard and not another 7 footer in Diaz.

Gipson fits Frank's system perfect, or will.  So do really good guards.  2 7 footers?  I don't get it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 05, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »
Did anyone else here realize Pullen WAS actually ranked in the Top 100 in his class .... by ESPN. The red-headed step child of recruiting evaluation actually got 1 right.

He's no DPete but...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=43291&season=2007&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d43291%26season%3d2007

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 05, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
Using the Frank method . . . of JHO doesn't pick it up, he's likely gone after this year.  JMO.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
Using the Frank method . . . of JHO doesn't pick it up, he's likely gone after this year.  JMO.

Wyatt and Lon got a head start on running him off this summer.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
BP...

Gipson & Diaz

Powerful 6-7 PF inside grinder with "no finesse" compared to Haslem
(Miami Senior HS/U Florida)

Long 6-11 C runner, flier, high post shooter with much PO

OLD School KSU folks.....Les Craft & Randy Reed.....other odd pairs ???

POtential, he should be in 2012 Class!

2011 is a weak Class nationally for "size", this Staff got two goodens in a
tight year for PF & C.

Think they are "planning" on 3 schollies for 2011 Class,
3rd one to go to a PG.

2012 Class nationally has mucho BIGS, several in Kansas Area.....

REPEAT:
*this Staff will BE recruiting always*
**there WILL be Players in Manhappiness**

When asked if the PG may come from South Florida...

.....with an Angelic name!
NOT the most Gifted, IS a Tuff Nutt that is very familiar with FM!

PG Play from: Nick, Will, Juevol, ???

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
More BP

Diaz, two negatives:
1. needs bulk, strength (just get to a hardened 225#)
2. young for his Class (Red-Shirt)

LIKED him in Jan. 2008, as a Soph!
Long, Athletic, Offensive, Energy, Shot range

Red-Shirting is MY opinion!

BIGS can always us more time.....HE is a young Senior*

Depends, IF Wally and/or Fred are @ KSU for 2011-2012 Season
(I think they will be)

Depends HOW his body attracts poundage... strength...

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 05, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
I want to see Diaz run and jump.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 05, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
with all the supposed great bigs available in the 2012 class wouldn't redshirting Diaz be the utlimate in retardery?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 05, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »
with all the supposed great bigs available in the 2012 class wouldn't redshirting Diaz be the utlimate in retardery?

Not if we're planning on taking mostly guards in 2012.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 05, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »

Florida offer...

A Gator weighs in ..

"We are monitoring Angel just in case Boynton decides to go pro (NBA or Europe) after this year. We would not sign him in the Fall, but if he is still there in the spring and we like what he does this HS season, there is a chance we might take him....the only guard we would take in the Fall is Kedren Johnson"

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=103&mid=145696777&sid=910&tid=145637036&style=1

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »

I certainly get where you're coming from re: impact pg/combo guard.  I hope the guys we have develop into playmakers, but outside of Pullen and McGruder, we're pretty unproven. 

With a guy like Gipson, though, I think it's a bit superficial to get amped amped up about his player ranking.  He sucks if he's not in the top-100, but he's good if he's in the top-100?  The fact is that the guy has offers from 5-6 solid BCS schools.  Obviously, he's a valuable player.  And when these HS kids get on a college campus, all bets are off.  See Judge (5*) v. Pullen (3*).   

Pullen was nothing special his freshman year.  Give Judge another year or two before you start labeling him as a bust.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 05, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Good work in that thread UW

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 05, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
Good work in that thread UW

Just reppin the KSU Cats bro!

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 05, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

Florida offer...

A Gator weighs in ..

"We are monitoring Angel just in case Boynton decides to go pro (NBA or Europe) after this year. We would not sign him in the Fall, but if he is still there in the spring and we like what he does this HS season, there is a chance we might take him....the only guard we would take in the Fall is Kedren Johnson"

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=103&mid=145696777&sid=910&tid=145637036&style=1

That just a fan chiming in, or someone with some insidery connections?  I find it hard to believe that there is only 1 guard in the entire country they would take in the fall...