Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457382 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1350 on: August 04, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
I just get sick of all the negativity.  We just went to the Elite 8 and are a top 5 pre-season team.  We have a coach who turned down 2.5 at Oregon and a a great staff.  Instead of enjoying it we berate them.  Enjoy the freaking ride.  We sound like the mid-courters at Lawrence.  You know the tools that call into the Monday night shows suggesting a change to the coach.  Always ridiculous. 

Your reasons to be blindly happy are the reasons most of us aren't blindly happy with the recruiting fwiw. 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 04, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
I just get sick of all the negativity.  We just went to the Elite 8 and are a top 5 pre-season team.  We have a coach who turned down 2.5 at Oregon and a a great staff.  Instead of enjoying it we berate them.  Enjoy the freaking ride.  We sound like the mid-courters at Lawrence.  You know the tools that call into the Monday night shows suggesting a change to the coach.  Always ridiculous.  

jfc.  if you don't like the negativity skip over it.  failing (and nonsensical) arguments will only compound your misery.  fwiw, tia  :blank:

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »
I just get sick of all the negativity.  We just went to the Elite 8 and are a top 5 pre-season team.  We have a coach who turned down 2.5 at Oregon and a a great staff.  Instead of enjoying it we berate them.  Enjoy the freaking ride.  We sound like the mid-courters at Lawrence.  You know the tools that call into the Monday night shows suggesting a change to the coach.  Always ridiculous. 

I don't see how pointing out that we're not recruiting at the same level as Michigan St, a national power, is being negative. It's the simple truth.

The simple truth is that Adrian Diaz had an 1 verified(possibly 2)offer(s) from other BCS schools when he committed to us. Still doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a productive player for KSU, but taking that kind of kid early in the process is a bigger risk than taking a top 100 kid with multiple BCS offers at the same time.

Gipson and Diaz could both be very solid role players for us, but at some point, if we want to maintain Top 25 status, we're going to have get players who have the POTENTIAL to be difference makers. I do think Williams has that kind of potential and I thought that even before he was given 4*, I'd like to see us land more players like him.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »
If Gipson is a kid that can get bumped and finish, pretty much unlike anyone we've had since Beasley/Walker and then provide a 10 and 10 every night, and twice on Sunday I am good with that.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 04, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »
I'm really liking Gipsons game.
EMAW

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 04, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
sorry but your michigan state comparo was so stupid i have to think it was either a joke or you have the downs.  either way, you suck as a poster.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline threadkiller

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 04, 2010, 12:10:48 PM »
It seems like most here share the opinion that Frank and co. are pretty good at identifying talent.  Still, lots of scepticism over a couple guys who Frank apparently accepted early commitments from.  I know, it's bbsing, and I do enjoy reading it, but still.  Anyone who thinks we're not going to take a stud 1 or 2 or both (if they want to sign) becasue we took commitments from these two players is not paying attention. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:26 PM »
Lolz @ pc.  I was just wondering why no one gets PI'd any more.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »
It seems like most here share the opinion that Frank and co. are pretty good at identifying talent.  Still, lots of scepticism over a couple guys who Frank apparently accepted early commitments from.

These commitments aren't early.  They won't play again until after the fall signing period.

Sprads, Nino, and Mitchell were early commitments.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 04, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
I pretty much only care about who's on their offer list. Unless they have lots of stars, then that's all I care about.

BTW - wtf is w/ the sleeveless "T" Thomas?

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 04, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
As for Dalonte, the man has BIG value to our program.  You guys want the 5 stars every year and its not going to happen.  

How about a 5 star every other year?  Is that too much to ask of a guy making half a million dollars a year to do one thing, recruit.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
Im feeding quinn cooks mind right now.
EMAW

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 04, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »
btw doubledribbledd, i do like your positive outlook so please stick around.  you just don't have to justify yourself to those who disagree with you.  fwiw, tia  :cheers:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 04, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »
Someone please post pics so I can judge adorableness

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 04, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
The simple truth is that Adrian Diaz had an 1 verified(possibly 2)offer(s) from other BCS schools when he committed to us. Still doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a productive player for KSU, but taking that kind of kid early in the process is a bigger risk than taking a top 100 kid with multiple BCS offers at the same time.

Gipson and Diaz could both be very solid role players for us, but at some point, if we want to maintain Top 25 status, we're going to have get players who have the POTENTIAL to be difference makers. I do think Williams has that kind of potential and I thought that even before he was given 4*, I'd like to see us land more players like him.

:love:

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: August 04, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »
Gip is benefiting from the overall lack of elite-level posts in this class. In a typical class, a player with his skill set and body type would be a mid-major contributor at best.

Consequently, all posts are being over-valued in the 2011 class. His contributions at K-State will largely depend on his ability to change his work ethic both in games and out of games, and on developing fundamental footwork and angle improvements.

Right now he relies 100% on his physical assets to play the game. At the major D1 level, he'll be facing many players who are his equal physically. In games where he's pitted against like-bodied or better-bodied players, he currently disappears because he doesn't have great footwork or feel for the game to find an advantage.

He'll likely find it tough to even get minutes at K-State. Unless something changes with him, look for him to ultimately transfer out, after a year or two, to somewhere mid-major or below, looking for playing time. New coach at Cedar Hill (where he plays HS) is really good. Maybe this will light a fire with Gip and he can change all this.

:frown:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 04, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »
God damnit.  Bossi?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 04, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
jfc nice quoting sys
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 04, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
So we now have two bigs who everyone is saying are high majors ONLY because the rest of the bigs in their class suck a historic amount of ass....fantastic  :frown:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 04, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
From big time Kansas State message board poster/supporter/scout:

Your way off base. My son's AAU played DC Assault in Cali last week (we beat them in the semi's) Dalonte was there and is still considered the man.

You should have seen the respect Coach Hill was getting. All the kids were aware he was in the gym watching games. Folks our program has really arrived. We need to let them do their thing.

dc assault didn't play in california last week.  the 17s did lose in the semis to the ny panthers in phoenix.  not sure what they did in vegas, but i don't think they made the semis (16s lost in finals there).

irregardless, i question btksmbp's powers of observo.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 04, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
God damnit.  Bossi?

soonerdaze.  honestly, i don't agree.  but i do respect his opinion, and he sees the dfw guys a lot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 04, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »
God damnit.  Bossi?

soonerdaze.  honestly, i don't agree.  but i do respect his opinion, and he sees the dfw guys a lot.

I'm not familiar with him so I'm going to pretend like he doesn't know to make myself feel better.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 04, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
Gip is benefiting from the overall lack of elite-level posts in this class. In a typical class, a player with his skill set and body type would be a mid-major contributor at best.

Consequently, all posts are being over-valued in the 2011 class. His contributions at K-State will largely depend on his ability to change his work ethic both in games and out of games, and on developing fundamental footwork and angle improvements.

Right now he relies 100% on his physical assets to play the game. At the major D1 level, he'll be facing many players who are his equal physically. In games where he's pitted against like-bodied or better-bodied players, he currently disappears because he doesn't have great footwork or feel for the game to find an advantage.

He'll likely find it tough to even get minutes at K-State. Unless something changes with him, look for him to ultimately transfer out, after a year or two, to somewhere mid-major or below, looking for playing time. New coach at Cedar Hill (where he plays HS) is really good. Maybe this will light a fire with Gip and he can change all this.

All of those issues are almost entirely in the domain of coaching and player development.    There are a very, very, very few high school recruits who do not struggle against like bodied/ability players.    The "he struggles against guys his size and build/he looks good because of the talent he plays against" is quite possibly the dumbest basketball recruiting commentary in history . . . well no $hit captain obvious, and the same thing could be said of damn nearly every Top 150 recruit out there, unless he's fvcking Lebron or Kobe.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 04, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »

All of those issues are almost entirely in the domain of coaching and player development.    There are a very, very, very few high school recruits who do not struggle against like bodied/ability players.    The "he struggles against guys his size and build/he looks good because of the talent he plays against" is quite possibly the dumbest basketball recruiting commentary in history . . . well no $hit captain obvious, and the same thing could be said of damn nearly every Top 150 recruit out there, unless he's fvcking Lebron or Kobe.

:surprised:  :D
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 04, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
The early signing period hasn't even started, but Kansas State coach Frank Martin is off to a great start by landing two post presences in Thomas Gipson (Cedar Hill, Texas/Cedar Hill) and Adrian Diaz  (Hialeah, Fla./ Hialeah Miami Lakes). It is very difficult to find size in any draft class, particularly early, which makes it that much more impressive for Martin to bring in the 6-foot-7, 240-pound Gipson and the 7-0, 205-pound Diaz. Now, Kansas State can focus on building around these two bigs to fill out its 2011 recruiting class.

I recently saw both of these prospects play and it is fair to say that Gipson will have an immediate impact and be factor in the Big 12, while Diaz has even more upside.

Gipson is a legitimate threat inside and displayed an uncanny ability to create space with his body in the paint at the Fab 48 in Las Vegas. The lefty power forward's body is so big and strong that he looked unstoppable at times. Gipson has strong hands for rebounding, but a soft touch to use his go-to move -- a lefty hook over his right shoulder.

Despite having a thin frame, Diaz showed at the AAU Nationals in Orlando, Fla., that he could make his presence felt with his shot blocking, ability to run the floor and 15-foot jumper. His potential is very high due to his size and skills, but he needs to become best friends with the strength and conditioning coach.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=basketball_recruiting&id=5437295&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmens-college-basketball%2fblog%3fname%3dbasketball_recruiting%26id%3d5437295