Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457089 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1325 on: August 04, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
ballplayers on diaz.

Diaz, two negatives:
1. needs bulk, strength (just get to a hardened 225#)
2. young for his Class (Red-Shirt)

LIKED him in Jan. 2008, as a Soph!
Long, Athletic, Offensive, Energy, Shot range
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 04, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »
ballplayers on diaz.

Diaz, two negatives:
1. needs bulk, strength (just get to a hardened 225#)
2. young for his Class (Red-Shirt)

LIKED him in Jan. 2008, as a Soph!
Long, Athletic, Offensive, Energy, Shot range

Does the kid have shooting range, or not?  Seems like half of the stuff I have read about him says he doesn't have much and half says he does.  Maybe half the stuff I have read is outdated?   :crossfingers:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 04, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »
Does the kid have shooting range, or not?  Seems like half of the stuff I have read about him says he doesn't have much and half says he does.  Maybe half the stuff I have read is outdated?   :crossfingers:

probably just diff. scouts watching him in diff games/tourneys.

with bp, him referencing his impressions of diaz as a soph suggests that he hasn't seen him this summer.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 04, 2010, 02:33:57 AM »

probably just diff. scouts watching him in diff games/tourneys.

with bp, him referencing his impressions of diaz as a soph suggests that he hasn't seen him this summer.

Slightly OT-  You think Frank will/would redshirt a player like this, or just plug him in sparingly?  In my non-expert view, it seems like Frank isn't all that worried about redshirts.  You either earn playing time or you don't.  If you aren't going to play, it would be best for everyone involved if you found somewhere else to play next year.  Granted, we're working with a very limited sample size...I see pros and cons to this, a purely hypothetical model.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 04, 2010, 07:54:37 AM »
Time for a 5 star elite recruit, Mr. guy on our staff that is being paid close to half a million dollars a year to be a recruiter.

I'm not giving up on our Elite 8 run paying dividends yet!!!!!

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 04, 2010, 08:04:56 AM »
Let's be serious here fellas.  We're signing a G (hopefully PG).  Yeah, it's prolly going to be sucky A-Rod-Tri but we're signing one.

Offline Dave Wooderson

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 04, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »
Let's be serious here fellas.  We're signing a G (hopefully PG).  Yeah, it's prolly going to be sucky A-Rod-Tri but we're signing one.

Why not Quinn Cook?
Wait a minute guys... I don't play golf... for money... against people.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 04, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »

Why not Quinn Cook?

Because he hates us.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 04, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »
From big time Kansas State message board poster/supporter/scout:

Your way off base. My son's AAU played DC Assault in Cali last week (we beat them in the semi's) Dalonte was there and is still considered the man.

You should have seen the respect Coach Hill was getting. All the kids were aware he was in the gym watching games. Folks our program has really arrived. We need to let them do their thing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
Didn't J-Mart watch Gipson at the Houston AAU event? 

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: August 04, 2010, 08:55:05 AM »
From big time Kansas State message board poster/supporter/scout:

Your way off base. My son's AAU played DC Assault in Cali last week (we beat them in the semi's) Dalonte was there and is still considered the man.

You should have seen the respect Coach Hill was getting. All the kids were aware he was in the gym watching games. Folks our program has really arrived. We need to let them do their thing.

PoetWarrior, I just figured out that your name is ChiTwnCat over on GP.

ChiTwnCat

GoPowercat Ring of Fame member
Post #18854
MyFanPage
Add Buddy Re: Dalonte Hill Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys do realize that Dalonte has been the point man for all of the New York City kids don't you??? Kelly, Southwell, Peterson, Hentriquez, Lawrence fist made contact with KSU through Hill. Hill is the one that initially set up the connection with the NY Gauchos and their coaches.

What I have seen with Hill is that he is very good in going out and starting the cold calls and opening new doors for KSU however rarely is he the "closer". Frank is our closer and I think Underwood and Figurs have some closing skills too.

The ultimate key to success is once the coaches get the door busted wide open and the pipeline built then the assistant doesn't have to be the key lead person for every kid he is targeting. The current players from that area actually do more to sell the program than any of the coaches can. Hill opened the doors in NY, Frank is the closer but in between the two the current players like Kelly and Henriquez did all of the work telling the recruit how much they like it in the Little Apple as opposed to the Big Apple.

Posted on 8/3 11:05 PM | IP: Logged

AJWildcat

All-Big 12 performer
Post #8482
Lee's Summit, MO
MyFanPage
Add Buddy Re: Dalonte Hill Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come on ChiTwn, you just blew up a whiner thread. Good lord it's amazing what kind of crap gets posted on this board at times.

Posted on 8/3 11:09 PM | IP: Logged

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 04, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
PoetWarrior, I just figured out that your name is ChiTwnCat over on GP.

I am.

doubledribble

« Reply #1337 on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
First of all, Gipson is #136 and most likely will rise in those rankings.  Hard to believe we complain after we beat out Huggs and Final Four West Virginia for his services.  Maybe all of you have played ball is some way shape or form or have been around the aau circuit.  To be able to take all of the aau kids and kids in the nation for that matter and be in the top 150, you have to be a very special player.  
As for Dalonte, the man has BIG value to our program.  You guys want the 5 stars every year and its not going to happen.  Here is a great example of comparisons.  Go look at Michigan State's recruits every year.  Izzo isn't bringing in 5 start and 4 stars every year.  He is however bringing in players that fit his brand of basketball.  Turned out pretty good for them over the past decade didn't it.  We are starting to sound like a bunch of spoiled brats east of here.  Oh no, we just had a kid pick us over Purdue and Syracuse.  Oh no, we just had a kid pick us over Huggs.  Sound the alarm the program is going down hill!  GMAB :jerk:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »
First of all, Gipson is #136 and most likely will rise in those rankings.  Hard to believe we complain after we beat out Huggs and Final Four West Virginia for his services.  Maybe all of you have played ball is some way shape or form or have been around the aau circuit.  To be able to take all of the aau kids and kids in the nation for that matter and be in the top 150, you have to be a very special player.  
As for Dalonte, the man has BIG value to our program.  You guys want the 5 stars every year and its not going to happen.  Here is a great example of comparisons.  Go look at Michigan State's recruits every year.  Izzo isn't bringing in 5 start and 4 stars every year.  He is however bringing in players that fit his brand of basketball.  Turned out pretty good for them over the past decade didn't it.  We are starting to sound like a bunch of spoiled brats east of here.  Oh no, we just had a kid pick us over Purdue and Syracuse.  Oh no, we just had a kid pick us over Huggs.  Sound the alarm the program is going down hill!  GMAB :jerk:

You tell'em doubledribble.  Buncha squawks around here.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 04, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »

:cheers:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 04, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »
WVU has plenty of meh players.  We didn't just steal a Kentucky recruit here.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 04, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »

doubledribble

« Reply #1342 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »
Was on basketballelite.com

7 Questions With…Thomas Gipson
Posted by admin
Jun
By Marcus Shockley
Thomas Gipson is a beast.

Gipson (PF, 6’7?, 2011), is a power player with a penchant for hammering away in the post, one of those big men that attack the basket with a ferocity that can’t be taught, he works hard, runs the floor and has a massive wingspan. Definitely a player to watch from the state of Texas, Thomas obviously relishes the role of being willing to face the hard knocks needed to play inside.

Thomas joins us for our inaugural installment of ’7 Questions’, where we can find out more about Mr. Gipson and his alter ego, ‘Beast’.

1. The first question (it always is): Which schools are you considering, what offers have you received or what colleges have been communicating with you?

School Interest Level  
Baylor Medium
California Medium Offered
Florida International Medium Offered
Georgia State Medium Offered
Iowa Medium Offered
Kansas State Medium Offered
Marquette Medium  
Oklahoma State Medium Offered
Southern Methodist Medium Offered
Texas A&M Medium  
Tulane Medium Offered
West Virginia Medium Offered

2. Do you have a timetable for your college decision?

Thinking Spring 2011 right now. That way I can take time and take some official visits to schools in the fall (before basketball season starts). But you never know, if the right offer comes along…could sign today….(laughing)

3. What are the parts of your game that you feel are the strongest?

My post moves and rebounding. I’m really strong for my age. I weigh between 230-245lbs all the time. I been playing post a while and it is second nature to me. Me being strong helps. My wing span is over 7’ too. I usually make most of my free-throws too. People also don’t think that I can only play inside. I actually have a good jump shot.

4. What are the parts of your game you are currently working on?

I am working on my ball handling and it has come along really well. I played in a game on this past weekend and was able to play power forward because my AAU coach (Stacy) let’s me do it. Most coaches have always put me at post because I was the tallest kid on the team. Now going to college, I know I have to put in the work to show them that I can do that too.

5. Are any coaches giving you feedback on your game, and if so, what are they telling you they want to see?

My trainer (Coach Tim Mason) always tell me to let them see my versatility. So what they are wanting to see is my ability to play the power forward position and ball handle, face the basket, and shoot jumpers. So I let them see that I can do all those things. I am 6’7” and some coaches underestimate me. I have a 7’2 wingspan, so I let them see what I can do with that too.

6. Can you name a current or past player or a coach (at any level) that you may admire and why you admire them?

Amare Stoudemire – he’s a great player. Think he’s a beast like me. That’s what they call me. He’s a [player who] runs the floor, rebounds, he can shoot. He’s kinda quiet from what I can tell. He doesn’t show a whole lot of emotion but he can play. He does his thing no matter what. Just like me.

7. If you could tell people one thing about you that you wish they knew, what would it be?

a. When I was a kid, we lived on 19 acres, took care of 100 acres of land that had 75 cattle on it. I would ride on the tractor with my mom…You wouldn’t believe it!

b. I was on Sports Stars of Tomorrow with Pat Summerall.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Go look at Michigan State's recruits every year.  Izzo isn't bringing in 5 start and 4 stars every year.  He is however bringing in players that fit his brand of basketball.  Turned out pretty good for them over the past decade didn't it.  We are starting to sound like a bunch of spoiled brats east of here.  Oh no, we just had a kid pick us over Purdue and Syracuse.  Oh no, we just had a kid pick us over Huggs.  Sound the alarm the program is going down hill!  GMAB :jerk:

This is a joke right? Michigan St has has signed no less than 2 players of at least a 4* ranking in each of their past 5 classes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/michiganstate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2010

http://rivals.yahoo.com/michiganstate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2009

http://rivals.yahoo.com/michiganstate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2008

http://rivals.yahoo.com/michiganstate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2007

http://rivals.yahoo.com/michiganstate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2006

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 04, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
I am ready to sit back and  :popcorn: and see how this pans out.  

But for sure . . . now that Frank is pulling down $1.5, and he's going to get his basketball practice facility, and Hill is pulling in nearly $500K a year (with bonus) . . . I am going to expect a pile of Tiffany cuff links.

After all Frank is supposedly bringing in "his guys" and the guys that "fit" his system . . . and according to the Ministers of Purple Drank Propaganda Dalonte Hill is opening up all kinds of doors.    So now is the exact time to place a copious quantity of expectations on the basketball program.

But no doubt the Ministers of Purple Drank Propaganda will be the first to come and bitch and moan at those that bitch and moan if things don't pan out.   Well fellas, you're going all in on Frank and this staff and their recruiting.   You're propagating a message that these are the exact guys that Frank wants, and we should all be happy they choose K-State . . . don't start crying like little girls when we bitch if things don't work out.   If they do, I'll give you your due.

Frank is getting paid like a big boy, his staff is getting big boy salaries, he's going to get a spanking new basketball practice facility in the next 2 years . . . the expectations should be strident and expansive.

doubledribble

« Reply #1345 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
Go back and look at Frank's classes.  They are going to start to look identical.  
Beasley 5 Star
Walker  5 Star
Judge 5 Star
McGruder 4 star
Kelly 5 Star
Nino 4 Star

Gosh, your right.  We should all start running for the hills.  Those guys suck.  My point is we can make some comparisons to the program Michigan State built.  They recruit for system.

That's in what 3 years?  4 5 star players.
Gipson will be closing in on 4 by next year and Diaz will be close to breaking 150.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
I like Gipson as a fit and I think he will be a very good player.  The commitment of Diaz is what now looks shitty.  I hope we keep pressing the guards we were in on and jettison Diaz or run Myles out at the end of the year if we get someone worth taking. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 04, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
Go back and look at Frank's classes.  They are going to start to look identical.  
Beasley 5 Star
Walker  5 Star
Judge 5 Star
McGruder 4 star
Kelly 5 Star
Nino 4 Star

Gosh, your right.  We should all start running for the hills.  Those guys suck.  My point is we can make some comparisons to the program Michigan State built.  They recruit for system.

That's in what 3 years?  4 5 star players.
Gipson will be closing in on 4 by next year and Diaz will be close to breaking 150.

The difference between us and Michigan St is they are recruiting at a high level EVERY YEAR. Unfortunately our 07 class is looking like an anomaly and the 09 class can largely be attributed to Dalonte reaping his DC ties which appear to be dwindling away.

And WHERE are you getting that Gipson will closing in on 4*?. Both Bossi and Meyer refer to him as a hard working grinder without a ton of upside.

Not running for the hills but no way are we recruiting at the same level Michigan St is recruiting at.

doubledribble

« Reply #1348 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »
I just get sick of all the negativity.  We just went to the Elite 8 and are a top 5 pre-season team.  We have a coach who turned down 2.5 at Oregon and a a great staff.  Instead of enjoying it we berate them.  Enjoy the freaking ride.  We sound like the mid-courters at Lawrence.  You know the tools that call into the Monday night shows suggesting a change to the coach.  Always ridiculous. 

Offline GetVocalwithCurt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 04, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
And honestly there is no reason for us to be recruiting at the same level Michigan State is. 1) They have Detroit to recruit 2) Been to a few more F4s than we have in the past decade
"I'll be back"
-Curtis Kelly