Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457498 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1300 on: August 03, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »
normal 'ship distribution is 8 backcourt, 5 frontcourt.  martin may be happy with his guards (must be?), as fans we have no reason to agree with him.  other than mcgruder, they either sucked last year, or have never played.

Why 8 ships for 2 spots and 5 ships for 3 spots?  And I would tend to agree with Martin RE: the guys we haven't seen much of/out of him simply based on how much he has seen them practice.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 03, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Why 8 ships for 2 spots and 5 ships for 3 spots?

sf=wing=backcourt.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
I asked Bossi on GPC if he'd seen anything recently to change his eval of Gipson("Big 12 niche, MW ass kicker") but don't think he's going to bite.

if you ask him on the nat'l board, i'm almost sure he'll respond.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 03, 2010, 11:36:51 PM »
Russell, McGruder, Irving, Myles, Lawrence, Spradling - Only counting 6 including the wings(Southwell not a guard), but of that group, who's the guy that can create off the dribble? Which guy is capable of going off for 30 on any given night, ala Clemente and Pullen?

Lawrence isn't a guard, Southwell is.  And none of them were capable of going for 30 as freshman.  Neither was Denis or Pullen.  Gruds is going to be a stud.  We'll see how the point shakes out.

"Lawrence expects the conversation to take place in the next couple days, but warned that nothing, as it relates to his imminent transfer, will be certain until the conclusion of that call. Even still, the sophomore says he already has an idea of what his role on the team will be should he, as expected, find himself in a purple jersey.

"Since I'm a slasher, they want me to be versatile and get to the basket," Lawrence said. "I'll just be a playing that off guard."

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1099063

Southwell is not a guard at the DI level, he's an SF with above average handling and passing skills for that position. Just because he played PG in HS doesn't mean that translates to DI ball.

Pullen and Clemente both came out of HS with reputations as big-time scorers and we're projected to do that at the next level and they both absolutely lived up to that billing, guys that can score off the bounce or off the catch. Which one of these guys is projected as being a scoring combo guard?

I certainly do expect McGruder to develop into a scorer but he's more of a wing and it will not be his role to create off the dribble.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:48 PM »
Why 8 ships for 2 spots and 5 ships for 3 spots?

sf=wing=backcourt.

I always thought that it was 1,2= back court and 3,4,5= front court.   :dunno:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: August 03, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 03, 2010, 11:42:58 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I'd like to welcome everyone to the Elite Eight won't automatically get us Blue Chips train.  Ironically, I'm pretty happy with Gipson assuming we send Diaz to Cloud or something.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 03, 2010, 11:43:27 PM »
Russell, McGruder, Irving, Myles, Lawrence, Spradling - Only counting 6 including the wings(Southwell not a guard), but of that group, who's the guy that can create off the dribble? Which guy is capable of going off for 30 on any given night, ala Clemente and Pullen?

Lawrence isn't a guard, Southwell is.  And none of them were capable of going for 30 as freshman.  Neither was Denis or Pullen.  Gruds is going to be a stud.  We'll see how the point shakes out.

"Lawrence expects the conversation to take place in the next couple days, but warned that nothing, as it relates to his imminent transfer, will be certain until the conclusion of that call. Even still, the sophomore says he already has an idea of what his role on the team will be should he, as expected, find himself in a purple jersey.

"Since I'm a slasher, they want me to be versatile and get to the basket," Lawrence said. "I'll just be a playing that off guard."

Southwell is not a guard at the DI level, he's an SF with above average handling and passing skills for that position. Just because he played PG in HS doesn't mean that translates to DI ball.

Pullen and Clemente both came out of HS with reputations as big-time scorers and we're projected to do that at the next level and they both absolutely lived up to that billing, guys that can score off the bounce or off the catch. Which one of these guys is projected as being a scoring combo guard?

I certainly do expect McGruder to develop into a scorer but he's more of a wing and it will not be his role to create off the dribble.

Not a good idea to argue with someone who does his research.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »

40 years ago that was probably accurate.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 03, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I'd like to welcome everyone to the Elite Eight won't automatically get us Blue Chips train.

stfu, martin never let us find out.

Ironically, I'm pretty happy with Gipson assuming we send Diaz to Cloud or something.

stfu, everyone would be happy with that.

Offline GetVocalwithCurt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 03, 2010, 11:46:45 PM »
I think everyone here got spoiled by Clemente and Pullen. We need low-post scorers to compete with KU. That's absolutely what killed us in the tournament. We could not feed the ball down low to a big and get an easy bucket. I just don't see why we have to have a guard that can go off for 30. I think Myles is going to be a decent PG. He won't go off for 30, but will take care of the ball and be serviceable. Apparently not many people on this board are ok with a serviceable pg.
"I'll be back"
-Curtis Kelly

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:20 PM »
His most recent highlights, from the KC Classic

http://www.prepforce.com/videos/183/thomas-gipson-highlights-from-the-kc-classic.html

TG looks like Andre The Giant on the video. A couple of years with SG  :love: :excited:  Reminds me a little of Dujuan Blair.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I'd like to welcome everyone to the Elite Eight won't automatically get us Blue Chips train.

stfu, martin never let us find out.

I'm pretty sure he let you find out when he offered Diaz.  (assuming he's not sending him to cloud)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 03, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
Holding off on the Blair comparisons till I know condition of his ACL's.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 03, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure he let you find out when he offered Diaz.  (assuming he's not sending him to cloud)

you're giving martin too much credit.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 03, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »
I think everyone here got spoiled by Clemente and Pullen. We need low-post scorers to compete with KU. That's absolutely what killed us in the tournament. We could not feed the ball down low to a big and get an easy bucket. I just don't see why we have to have a guard that can go off for 30. I think Myles is going to be a decent PG. He won't go off for 30, but will take care of the ball and be serviceable. Apparently not many people on this board are ok with a serviceable pg.

A "serviceable" PG would be fine alongside a stud SG.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 03, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »

1   Shane Southwell   Guard   6-6   220   FR/HS   Bronx, N.Y. (Rice)
http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ksu-m-baskbl-mtt.html

:dunno:

Offline GetVocalwithCurt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 04, 2010, 12:01:36 AM »

A "serviceable" PG would be fine alongside a stud SG.

yeah i think we have that with mcgruder. as long as spradling comes along as a great shooter than we will be fine.
"I'll be back"
-Curtis Kelly

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »
So absolutely no more chance that we get Cunningham, correct?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 04, 2010, 12:05:39 AM »

Lawrence isn't a guard, Southwell is.  And none of them were capable of going for 30 as freshman.  Neither was Denis or Pullen.  Gruds is going to be a stud.  We'll see how the point shakes out.

Everybody else in the free world sees the kid as an SF, if he's regularly bringing the ball up the court and setting up the offense 3 years from now, I'll eat my words.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Southwell-68331

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3226334

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44165&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d44165

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:14 AM »
So absolutely no more chance that we get Cunningham, correct?

Probably not, but with the current trend, you never know.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 04, 2010, 12:18:38 AM »

Lawrence isn't a guard, Southwell is.  And none of them were capable of going for 30 as freshman.  Neither was Denis or Pullen.  Gruds is going to be a stud.  We'll see how the point shakes out.

Everybody else in the free world sees the kid as an SF, if he's regularly bringing the ball up the court and setting up the offense 3 years from now, I'll eat my words.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Southwell-68331

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3226334

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44165&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d44165

Never claimed he was a 1, just that he was a guard.  As far as the free world thing goes-  I would assume someone from our staff submitted this info to the web designer.  If they call him a guard, I will too.  Not that it really matters, pretty much just semantics anyway. 

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »

40 years ago that was probably accurate.

http://dimemag.com/2010/02/the-nbas-top-10-frontcourts/

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 04, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »
(Southwell not a guard)

This unprompted parenthetical means that he's pretty much a guard.

who's the guy that can create off the dribble? Which guy is capable of going off for 30 on any given night, ala Clemente and Pullen?

Why would anyone be confident that this is what we were looking for?  Or that we hadn't already looked and failed miserably? 

martin may be happy with his guards (must be?), as fans we have no reason to agree with him.

There is, however, good reason not to be surprised, which is what this thread's regulars struggle with.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 04, 2010, 12:29:32 AM »