Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457372 times)

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1275 on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
i think i'm going to shoot myself.  jfc.

Because this guy sucks, that he's a big, or because of him filling a spot?  Be specific.

This ^^

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:39 PM »
I firmly belive Russell will be the PG and surprise people.

In a good or bad way?  I think he is serviceable, kinda like Sky, but taller with better shot.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »

The last guy around here who's sports opinions consisted of firmly believing in stuff kind of flaked out.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
For what it's worth, Gipson only gave a "soft verbal" according to Rivals.  Diaz gave us a "solid verbal". 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansasstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Thomas-Gipson-93329

Where are you getting the "soft" verbal from? His profile simply reads "Committed", the story on GPC makes it sound like he's solid, and Bossi also confirmed it on GPC.

Not trying to stir crap up, I just don't see the "soft" part anywhere.

Follow the link.  Upper right corner by the powercat logo.  "Commitment Status:"

Probably meaningless.  Just thought I'd throw that out there

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »

We still need a guard for the class.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »

gipson will fit right in.  martin probably made this a selling point.

7. If you could tell people one thing about you that you wish they knew, what would it be?

When I was a kid, we lived on 19 acres, took care of 100 acres of land that had 75 cattle on it. I would ride on the tractor with my mom…You wouldn’t believe it!

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
For what it's worth, Gipson only gave a "soft verbal" according to Rivals.  Diaz gave us a "solid verbal". 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansasstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Thomas-Gipson-93329

Where are you getting the "soft" verbal from? His profile simply reads "Committed", the story on GPC makes it sound like he's solid, and Bossi also confirmed it on GPC.

Not trying to stir crap up, I just don't see the "soft" part anywhere.

Follow the link.  Upper right corner by the powercat logo.  "Commitment Status:"

Probably meaningless.  Just thought I'd throw that out there

Good observation, Thanks.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 03, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »

Because this guy sucks, that he's a big, or because of him filling a spot?  Be specific.

i like gipson.  think he's better than his rating, actually.  the idea of not getting a guard in the '11 class makes me physically ill.

I like him too.  And I wouldn't be anti-Diaz except for the fact that we have a legitimate shot at Harrison and/or Seagears.  Could've been a special class, small as it is.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 03, 2010, 10:40:53 PM »
steve dave?  comment?

Not meaning to step on sd's toes here, but he obviously ups our GQ factor, making up for Omari and Diaz.   :love:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 03, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »
So, again, what in f*ck are we paying Dalonte 420k for?  This has seriously getting comical.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:52 PM »

gipson isn't a bad get.  

I agree. It's just the combination of him and Diaz and as you pointed out, the apparent lack of urgency to get a guard in this class that is concerning.

No scoring guard in this class, I don't care if it was a PG, combo, or strictly SG type, just somebody who can consistently put the ball in the basket from the backcourt is by all appearances, a glaring oversight.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 03, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
I haven't been able to find any evidence of the existence of a mid range jump shot from Gipson at all.  Scott should be able to make him one of the most physical players in the league though.  Any reports on wing span or jumping ability?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 03, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »

i like gipson.  think he's better than his rating, actually.  the idea of not getting a guard in the '11 class makes me physically ill.

I like him too.  And I wouldn't be anti-Diaz except for the fact that we have a legitimate shot at Harrison and/or Seagears.  Could've been a special class, small as it is.

We had a legit shot at coming in second or third on those guys.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »
Is it to out of line to compare this guy to Dejuan Blair.
EMAW

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: August 03, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
I haven't been able to find any evidence of the existence of a mid range jump shot from Gipson at all.  Scott should be able to make him one of the most physical players in the league though.  Any reports on wing span or jumping ability?

7'2" wingspan.  check out the KC Classic video - he makes a nice baseline jumper at the end.  kinda weird form, tho.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 03, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »

nice long highlight vid.  doesn't look like terribly long arms to me, though the espn blurb on him says he has them.  seems to jump fine, though the scouting reports say he isn't explosive.  does seem like a slow jumper, no 2nd jump.

doesn't include much but dunking despite the length, but he looks fine the few times he isn't at the rim.

good feet.  very strong.  best thing looks like his hands.  not sure he fumbled a single pass in the entire vid.  i like him.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 03, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »
wingspan must include v broad shoulders  :dunno:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
most impressive thing:  sealing off his defender.  he's, like, charles barkley good at it.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 03, 2010, 11:04:32 PM »
Is it to out of line to compare this guy to Dejuan Blair.
:peek:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 03, 2010, 11:06:11 PM »
build reminds me some of marshall moses.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 03, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
7 guards on the roster are FR or SO.  But by all means go ahead and keep telling youselves that Frank isn't happy with the guards he's got - especially tave.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 03, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
Russell, McGruder, Irving, Myles, Lawrence, Spradling - Only counting 6 including the wings(Southwell not a guard), but of that group, who's the guy that can create off the dribble? Which guy is capable of going off for 30 on any given night, ala Clemente and Pullen?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »
normal 'ship distribution is 8 backcourt, 5 frontcourt.  martin may be happy with his guards (must be?), as fans we have no reason to agree with him.  other than mcgruder, they either sucked last year, or have never played.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 03, 2010, 11:26:44 PM »
Russell, McGruder, Irving, Myles, Lawrence, Spradling - Only counting 6 including the wings(Southwell not a guard), but of that group, who's the guy that can create off the dribble? Which guy is capable of going off for 30 on any given night, ala Clemente and Pullen?

Lawrence isn't a guard, Southwell is.  And none of them were capable of going for 30 as freshman.  Neither was Denis or Pullen.  Gruds is going to be a stud.  We'll see how the point shakes out.