Author Topic: Is this standard procedure for most college football programs??  (Read 3950 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is this standard procedure for most college football programs??
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/21/2241921/communication-problems-costly.html

The latest revelation? KU coach Turner Gill has enforced a no-cell-phone policy on his players. The Jayhawks are to hand over their phones before they clock in the day before a game, and they’ll get them in the locker room after the game.

“Everybody was kind of in shock,” KU wide receiver Daymond Patterson said. “We hadn’t had anything like that in the past years. (Gill) just feels like it’s a business thing. He wants us to focus and be ready for the game and not be thinking about outside things.”

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Is this standard procedure for most college football programs??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »
doing things the right way

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:45 AM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/21/2241921/communication-problems-costly.html

The latest revelation? KU coach Turner Gill has enforced a no-cell-phone policy on his players. The Jayhawks are to hand over their phones before they clock in the day before a game, and they’ll get them in the locker room after the game.

“Everybody was kind of in shock,” KU wide receiver Daymond Patterson said. “We hadn’t had anything like that in the past years. (Gill) just feels like it’s a business thing. He wants us to focus and be ready for the game and not be thinking about outside things.”

Next on Gill's list of coaching changes. Every player must wear one of these and live by it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purity_ring
RIP Fatty

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
not exactly an unusual thing
:dunno:

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:13:22 AM »
Calm down people.  God told him to do it.
3021  RIP

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
 :blindfold: who cares?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Already addressed in Turner Gill thread; no its not unusual.  In fact, we were already doing it at K-State.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Already addressed in Turner Gill thread; no its not unusual.  In fact, we were already doing it at K-State.

DT4-H?

Time to work the Ag angle with this one. 4-H rocks
RIP Fatty

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:20:20 AM »
DT4-H?

Time to work the Ag angle with this one. 4-H rocks

I tried to come up with a "for Heisman" angle without getting in trouble.  Don't know if it works, but I tried it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
It wasn't a rhetorical question.   I really didn't know if this was common or not.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »
Guess who was invited to Amare Stoudemires skills camp?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
Exactly.  Dax has done this same thing more than BMW has.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
It wasn't a rhetorical question.   I really didn't know if this was common or not.

I'm guessing as paranoid and control freakish as most college head coaches are that, yes, most do something similar.  And I'm pretty certain K-State already does it.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
i thought the jayhawk logo instead of the players name would be the last "gimmick"

Guess I was wrong.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
At the very least this move will keep the AD from putting out a text blast notifying all players of a secret meeting to brainstorm on a reason that the AD can fire the HC. 

Pretty brilliant given KU's recent past.

TG is a student of history.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 02:24:27 PM »

I just find it very strange that football coaches would cut off what is likely the only form of direct contact these guys have, and fankly the only phones most people have these days given the dwindling landline numbers.    If an emergency arises in a family than they are beholden to somebody in the football offices following through on getting a message over to the kid.   I can see it the day of the game, but in this case we're talking sometimes more than a full day before the game, if they have to hand them over when they hit the football offices on Friday. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »

I just find it very strange that football coaches would cut off what is likely the only form of direct contact these guys have, and fankly the only phones most people have these days given the dwindling landline numbers.    If an emergency arises in a family than they are beholden to somebody in the football offices following through on getting a message over to the kid.   I can see it the day of the game, but in this case we're talking sometimes more than a full day before the game, if they have to hand them over when they hit the football offices on Friday. 

I believe in our case they hand them over when they go to the hotel on Friday night, at least for home games, and get them back after the game Saturday.  I'm sure their parents, etc. are told to call the hotel or the football office if there is an emergency.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 02:33:01 PM »

This rule was probably implemented after we were able to obtain the cell phone numbers for and harass B. Rush, and C. Aldrich. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »

This rule was probably implemented after we were able to obtain the cell phone numbers for and harass B. Rush, and C. Aldrich. 

Well that's true, I hadn't thought about that.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
Very Tropic Thunderish

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
Yes I think it's unusual he makes them clock in the day before the game.  I wonder if he uses a card reader or an old fashioned punch clock.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »
Yes I think it's unusual he makes them clock in the day before the game.  I wonder if he uses a card reader or an old fashioned punch clock.

Most successful programs have their players on salary, if I'm not mistaken.  Hope he's paying at least min. wage.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »

Lollers.  Can we make this a thing now?  Can we start saying fankly instead of frankly? 

RE the cell phone thing: not a big deal.  A good idea, actually.  And I'm sure Gurner Till isn't the first.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »

Lollers.  Can we make this a thing now?  Can we start saying fankly instead of frankly? 

RE the cell phone thing: not a big deal.  A good idea, actually.  And I'm sure Gurner Till isn't the first.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
Wouldn't most players just go pickup a disposable phone and turn that in?  :dunno: