Author Topic: Finish a Basement  (Read 29786 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Finish a Basement
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »
So, we have a new house but didn't have the basement finished.  Now wish we would have.  It's about 1k-1,250 sf with a rough in for a bathroom and daylight windows that would make for a comforming bedroom in one corner.  We want to put in the bedroom, a half bath, living area and MUD room with storage.  I have no idea how to do carpenter stuff.  What am I looking at to have this thing done?  How do I do it cheap?  :dunno:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: Finish a Basement
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:10 AM »
To do it cheap, do it yourself. 

Do you have any buddies who are contractors?  At least you know you won't get ripped off for labor costs. 

Other than that I would try and see if anyone in your area reccomends a good contractor.

Also, when you say 1/2 bath, is that toilet only or toilet+shower?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »

Do you have any buddies who are contractors?  At least you know you won't get ripped off for labor costs. 

Other than that I would try and see if anyone in your area reccomends a good contractor.

I don't have any contractor friends (at least in Omaha).  And, see above about my lack of carpentry skills.  1/2 is toilet/sink.  I would consider 3/4 (toilet/sink/shower) if it didn't cost much more.  We already have two full baths though and a third would seem like overkill with just the two of us living there. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
sounds like you'd be better off just moving.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
So, we have a new house but didn't have the basement finished.  Now wish we would have.  It's about 1k-1,250 sf with a rough in for a bathroom and daylight windows that would make for a comforming bedroom in one corner.  We want to put in the bedroom, a half bath, living area and MUD room with storage.  I have no idea how to do carpenter stuff.  What am I looking at to have this thing done?  How do I do it cheap?  :dunno:
I would do a simulation via The Sims first.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »

Have considered this.  Just buying another new house or having one built may be the easiest path.  But, I don't know how long we are going to be in Omaha and dealing with all that paperwork and moving sh1t around is almost as much hassle as doing this contractor stuff. 

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »

I don't have any contractor friends (at least in Omaha).  And, see above about my lack of carpentry skills.  1/2 is toilet/sink.  I would consider 3/4 (toilet/sink/shower) if it didn't cost much more.  We already have two full baths though and a third would seem like overkill with just the two of us living there. 

LOL @ the Sims comment.  

Depend on where you go and how hard you look, you could find a great price on shower.  If you are making a guest bedroom in the basement, it allows your guests to not have to go upstairs to shower and get up all in your crap, JMO.

If it were me and I lived in a town where I really didn't know anybody, I would knock on some neighbors doors or ask some coworkers if they know anyone or have ever had remodeling done.  If you already have plumbing set for bathroom, remodeling your basement should be cake.  Hardest part will be insulation and sheetrock.  You doing a dropdown ceiling or hard ceiling?    

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »

Have considered this.  Just buying another new house or having one built may be the easiest path.  But, I don't know how long we are going to be in Omaha and dealing with all that paperwork and moving sh1t around is almost as much hassle as doing this contractor stuff. 

QFT.

I know a couple people who are still trying to sell their old house.  Great time to buy, but selling seems to be difficult.  My cousin has been trying to sell his house for about 8 months, and a coworker just sold his after 6 months.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »
You doing a dropdown ceiling or hard ceiling?    

Probably a drop down.  Have heard hard ceilings are a pain in the ass when you are trying to run wires to your pillars or whatever.  Also, KOUGZ ALERT!  I have a pillar in my basement, it's structural (like all pillars).  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »

QFT.

I know a couple people who are still trying to sell their old house.  Great time to buy, but selling seems to be difficult.  My cousin has been trying to sell his house for about 8 months, and a coworker just sold his after 6 months.

I could sell ours within a couple months without a problem. 

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »

QFT.

got a co-worker who sold his in about 2 months, course this in JC. Had a brother who sold his in about 2 weeks, course this is Bonner Springs. To me it just depends on the house and location(duh!)
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »

Have considered this.  Just buying another new house or having one built may be the easiest path.  But, I don't know how long we are going to be in Omaha and dealing with all that paperwork and moving sh1t around is almost as much hassle as doing this contractor stuff.  

If you're thinking about moving, it seems silly to waste time finishing a basement.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »
What's the water table in your area?

Are we talking loamy clay here?

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:03 AM »
My dad just retired and loves doing this crap.  Sure he'd be way slower and more expensive than pretty much any other option you could find, but I think you should hire him.  Would keep him from driving my mom crazy.

tia

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
You doing a dropdown ceiling or hard ceiling?    

Probably a drop down.  Have heard hard ceilings are a pain in the ass when you are trying to run wires to your pillars or whatever.  Also, KOUGZ ALERT!  I have a pillar in my basement, it's structural (like all pillars).  

Dropdown is a good choice.  Makes it easier to run the surround sound system you plan on putting down there with the 52" right?

I agree with michigancat, if you plan on moving in the near future don't waste your time on the basement.  Someone who wants the house will see the opportunity to finish it the way they want to (going back to the whole 1/2, 3/4, full bathroom thing).  On the other hand, if you do finish the basement there is a possibility you could increase the value of the home by quite a bit.

I can see why houses in JC would sell.  People want to get out of Missery, BA-ZING.  Makes sense though that the people I know trying to sell live in smaller towns. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
Time to get off your ass and get it done so I have a place to sleep and clean up my junk for the CWS paker.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
sd i think you would be able to frame it yourself, it's really not diffi's and you could figure it out. then hire a good contractor to drywall, electric, etc.  framing though would be a good projy for you and misses sd.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
Why the rush to finish it? I'm in a similar situation. But with just me and my wife (and my two step-cats) I just use the basement for a workout room/cat-dumping room. We already barely use the two finished floors. Plus, we may sell in the next few years and go overseas, so it seems a little pointless.

But if we do it, I want a pool table. Just want that out there.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
Why the rush to finish it? I'm in a similar situation. But with just me and my wife (and my two step-cats) I just use the basement for a workout room/cat-dumping room. We already barely use the two finished floors. Plus, we may sell in the next few years and go overseas, so it seems a little pointless.

Want more room for guests and junk/stuff. 

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 10:20:17 AM »

finished basements really improve the house's marketability, plus raise the price.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
sd i think you would be able to frame it yourself, it's really not diffi's and you could figure it out. then hire a good contractor to drywall, electric, etc.  framing though would be a good projy for you and misses sd.

Yeah, I think this is probably my best bet.  Scared of doing it but worst case scenario I just hire someone to fix my mistakes.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »

Want more room for guests and junk/stuff. 

Ah. We're already using the basement for junk/stuff, and we've got three spare beds on the second floor.

Good call on asking neighbors, BTW. Do you have an HOA? Pretty much the only good thing about our HOA is the reco list for stuff like this.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »

Yeah, I think this is probably my best bet.  Scared of doing it but worst case scenario I just hire someone to fix my mistakes.

Honestly it's hard to really screw this part up.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »

So, what do I do?  Just go buy a bunch of boards and start hammering them to the wall or what?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »

So, what do I do?  Just go buy a bunch of boards and start hammering them to the wall or what?

Isn't there a pretty good "how to handyman" website out there?  Gives you step by step instructions on how to do dry wall, framing etc?  I could google it but kind of lazy right now.  I hear its pretty legit though.