Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 119286 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
The Let Kansas Store the Really Dangerous Stuff Act.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
ALL IS WELL

I just spoke with BigShotLobbyistCat and this is what they said

"Brownback spoke with DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano this morning regarding President Obama's proposal to reasses NBAF. "Secretary Napolitano and I had an excellent conversation this morning. She assured me the 'reassessment' had nothing to do with the need for or location fo the NBAF but rather with the overall cost and scope of the project" "DHS selected Manhattan Kansas as the location for NBAF on the merits and I fully esxpect that NBAF will be built here."

So its still going to be built...

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
ALL IS WELL

"Brownback spoke with DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano this morning regarding President Obama's proposal to reasses NBAF. "Secretary Napolitano and I had an excellent conversation this morning. She assured me the 'reassessment' had nothing to do with the need for or location fo the NBAF but rather with the overall cost and scope of the project" "DHS selected Manhattan Kansas as the location for NBAF on the merits and I fully esxpect that NBAF will be built here."

Well Janet Napolitano might not even have a job in January, so who really knows?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
NOT SO FAST

Asked BSLC is this means it will still be built just delayed...

"Theoretically. One of those funny situations like boeing moving due to defense cuts. The entire Kansas Congressional Delegation is all about spending cuts - until it impacts Kansas. We'll see how the next election goes. Further right and funding will probably not be available for another 4 years"

VOTE OBAMA IF YOU WANT NBAF

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
ALL IS WELL

Translation:

Brownback:  I am very concerned about the NBAF for the next few months until I leave Kansas.
JN: STFU hayseed.
SB: k, thanks

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »

Isn't the CDC in Atlanta? Why is it perfectly safe to have a lab that researches pathogens lethal to humans located in one of the biggest metros in the country, yet a breakout is imminent if they put NBAF in Manhattan?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »

Isn't the CDC in Atlanta? Why is it perfectly safe to have a lab that researches pathogens lethal to humans located in one of the biggest metros in the country, yet a breakout is imminent if they put NBAF in Manhattan?

tornadoes

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »

tornadoes

Wouldn't they just do all of their research underground? It seems to me that that would solve the whole tornado problem.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »

tornadoes

Wouldn't they just do all of their research underground? It seems to me that that would solve the whole tornado problem.

I imagine the concern is support/utilities to keep things maintained in case of a Greensburg type event.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »

tornadoes

I imagine the concern is support/utilities to keep things maintained in case of a Greensburg type event.

Good point.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
Georgia gets tornadoes also.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
In The Stand when all the survivors headed to Georgia crap really hits the fan. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
No matter where you put it, of the states that raised their hands, there is a feasible catastrophe that could cause some issues.  That said, the reality is that structure can be designed to withstand the disaster, and all facilities like this will have emergency operation items to keep it running while the rest of the area cleans up and gets reorganized.  Generator banks, battery back ups, gas storage, back up chillers/heaters, etc.  There will be double, if not triple, redundancy in all their critical systems at least.  

Al the bullshit about nat dist's is just bullshit.  

This is about either crazy people being crazy or economic impact.  Most everything we have heard are people worried about the latter, using the former to scare everyone.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:30:16 AM by CNS Casey »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »

also, there is a v large zombie issue there in Walking Dead

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »

NBAF could just have a big firebomb thing like the CDC has.  Prob solved.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »

NBAF could just have a big firebomb thing like the CDC has.  Prob solved.

If NBAF goes through and something bad happens its likely Manhattan will get nuked. But it would be a quick, painless death, so no big deal.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »
so like, what's up with the fbi and super laser being under ood? was this common knowledge? seems like maybe we could just throw nbaf down there too, no?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:34:20 AM by rick daris »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
so like, what's up with the fbi and super laser being under ood? was this common knowledge? seems like maybe we could just throw nbaf down there too, no?

FBI and DHS do not get along at all.  Lots of competition and mistrust. 

I heard huge brawl at softball game between the 2 last summer on a hard takeout slide of Janet at home.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 15, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
DHS is probs concerned about power reqmt.  I mean, what happens when the FBI super cancer laser is fired all the way up and in use while, across the street,  they need some large amt of power to play with and store some new form of cow anthrax?  Either all the cows get anthrax, or Obama isn't going to get cancer....

Then, what happens if this happens in the early evening when all the treadmills are in use at the Rec and Snyder has all the lights and sound noise going in practice for our first TCU trip?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »

FBI and DHS do not get along at all.  Lots of competition and mistrust. 

I heard huge brawl at softball game between the 2 last summer on a hard takeout slide of Janet at home.

Everybody makes fun of the DHS. Big inferiority complex over there.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »

tornadoes
Meh. K-State's nuclear reactor took a direct hit from the tornado and all that happened was the roof blew off. I think they can figure out how to tornado proof a $650 million facility.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
Rock beats tornado in the paper rock tornado game of life.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
Tornados are the pussiest of the natural disastors.  Good grief.  They wouldn't get so much media play if it wasn't for stupid hicks in the midwest insisting on living in prefab houses and trailer parks. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback says a reassessment of the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility by the Obama administration will focus on the price tag — not whether and where it should be built.

In a release Tuesday, Brownback said he spoke with U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, who told him the review was focused only on the cost and scope of the facility, slated to be built at Kansas State University .

“DHS selected Manhattan, Kan., as the location of the NBAF on the merits. And I fully expect that the NBAF will be built here,” the governor said.
On Monday, the Obama administration’s budget request for DHS included no new construction dollars for NBAF. The administration said it would conduct “a comprehensive assessment of whether and for what purpose a ... facility should be stood up.”

The $650 million lab would replace an aging facility at Plum Island, N,Y., that conducts research on diseases, such as hoof-and-mouth and H1N1 influenza, that could present a threat to the public or the country’s agricultural infrastructure.

The facility has attracted opposition from other parts of the country, which have gone so far as to challenge the KSU siting in court, as well as agricultural interests concerned that an accident or other outbreak from the facility in the heart of the U.S. livestock industry could be devastating.

Brownback said he will schedule a meeting of the state’s NBAF Steering Committee later this month and that he and the state’s federal delegation will continue pushing for funding for NBAF.

saving face?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
did they ever sell Plum Island? I thought it was for sale a while back.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles