Author Topic: KSU football thoughts (In-Depth)  (Read 2672 times)

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KSU football thoughts (In-Depth)
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »
Not sure what a few of you used to assess KSU. I'll answer a few things.

First of all, KSU had one of the best rushing attacks in the conference LAST year due to the OL, fullback, and Daniel Thomas. All three interior OL return and they are very good together. All three are seniors and it is easily the best interior OL since '03 (Big 12 title season) when Nick Leckey and Ryan Lilja (two pros) were along the interior. The OLine has a wealth of experience and is Snyder's first as a KSU head coach to return 4 starters. One of the posters mentioned Clyde Aufner was our best OLineman returning...not sure I would agree. He was one who might lose his starting job to either RS Frosh Cornelius Lucas or JC transfer Manase Foteki, the latter being one the coaches seem to want to win a starting job at tackle because he is very big, talented, and aggressive.
Aufner may be lost for the season due to an injury...Snyder is stingy on this type of info, nevertheless it isn't that big of a concern for KSU fans given what I stated about the two challenging him.

We have a monster at fullback...Braden Wilson was an absolute stud as a freshman. A team leader type of guy. Big, 6-4 255 and he has versatility. Lost the starting TE but Tanahill played a ton last year and we have a talented 6-8 285lb kid most feel will win that job as the season progresses.

Most KSU fans have no concerns about who wins the starting QB job. The running game will be superb.

As for receivers? It was stated all new receivers...well, yes and no. Aubrey Quarles started two years ago and was a solid receiver...sat out last year due to injury. But we add Brodrick Smith and Chris Harper, two who saw significant minutes as true freshman for Minnesota and Oregon respectively. In addition to that both are big adding what we lacked in perimeter blocking from mini Brandon Banks. The key is the versatility..we'll have Thomas and Harper on the field simultaneously many times and both have experience at QB, Harper at Oregon and Thomas in Juco and in Wildcat formations last year where he threw the ball at times.

KSU fans are not concerned about the offense, period.

Defensively, two starters back on the DL since Harold returns after sitting out with an injury last year. Three starters return in secondary. One starter returns at LB. But a lot of question marks defensively. Snyder's defense will likely do a lot of bending and some breaking....it remains to be seen how much but he has never fielded what would be described as a terrible defense.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: KSU football thoughts (In-Depth)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
 :surprised:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
We have a monster at fullback
:thumbsup:

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
Nice fatty
EMAW

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »
This thread is worthless without at least 50 lines comparing various Offensive and Defensive efficiency numbers.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:08 PM »
F*ck you
EMAW

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »
Great stuff fff.

Your analysis of the O-Line and WR is spot on.  Our running game should be very good.

I of course disagree about not worrying about QB, we need someone at least as good as Webb/Meier was.  He doesn't have to be great, but if we want to go bowling he must be better than last years QBs.  Our offense worries me only with respect to the QB being efficient and not turn-over happy.

As for defense, I am probably more optimistic than you, but we'll have to see.  I would also have to say that the 2004 defense was a terrible defense, the only one worse was the 2008 atrocity.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
I NEED A YOUTUBE TO EXPLAIN THIS POST :angry:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
copy pasta?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »
Was Brian Kavanaugh or Matt Miller better than Carsy Coffman?  I assume yes, but both those guys seemed pretty stiff and were on some good teams.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
Was Brian Kavanaugh or Matt Miller better than Carsy Coffman?  I assume yes, but both those guys seemed pretty stiff and were on some good teams.

miller and kavanaugh were pretty different. miller was pretty mobile, think grant gregory but good. the kavanaugh=coffman comparo is the most valid of any old ksu qbs. pretty much the same.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »
I say throw Sam Lamur out there.
EMAW

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »

hasn't the latest word been that he has played himself into the # 2??
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »

hasn't the latest word been that he has played himself into the # 2??

And closing in on The Ears.
3021  RIP

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »
Nice post fff.

I agree that we are going to be both dynamic and potent on offense.  I still think that Snyder will try to control the clock if only to keep our defense, which is likely to be quite porous, off the field and rested as much as possible.  I'm really hoping that our defense won't lose it's edge with Koenning out of the picture (Cosh has been maligned for his bend but don't break tendencies).

Back to offense and specifically the running game we now have a more experienced Daniel Thomas, and what I believe to be an upgrade(with all-due respect to Kiethan Valentine) as far as our back-up RB's are concerned.  DeMarcus Robinson in particular will be a great change of pace back and should get a handful of opportunities to shine via screen-plays, draws and short passes each game.  FFF mentioned Wilson who with another year under his belt should be even more effective as a blocker for the already bruising Thomas.  

FFF was all over the positives on the offensive line.  All improvements should be maximized under the watchful eye of Charlie Dickey, whom I consider the premiere assistant coach on the current staff.  

The defense is just far to unproven to be very optimistic, though I think Snyder will give them every opportunity to succeed through game-planning around ball control.  Even with the loss of Josh Moore to the NFL, the secondary, specifically the safeties should be a bright spot.  Unfortunately the lack of quality depth on the defensive line could easily hamper their ability to make plays in the secondary.  

As far as the linebackers are concerned we are simply too green to get much of a feel for what they will bring to the table.  Alex Hrebec returns, but the undersized Junior strikes few as a "playmaker."  I think the coaching staff and fans would be more than pleased to see the linebackers play mistake free, assignment sound football and facilitating chances for our some of our more talented players on the DL and DB to make a play.  If these guys start trying to do too much they will only end up hurting the team and negating chances for success on defense.  I would consider the linebackers having a "Grant Gregoryesque" season to be a success.  

I am totally on board with FFF as far as the receivers, and our potential dynamics(Wildcat, etc.) are concerned on offense.  The only reciever that we had with any real physical prowess last year was Lamark, and we all know how that turned out(thanks for the great half against KU Lamark).  Both Smith and Harper should be physical blockers and both should be able to go over the middle.  Also, don't be surprised to see Robinson split wide or in the slot from time to time, not to mention any of one of our undersized receivers who will no doubt get a chance to duplicate the success Brandon Banks had in space last season.  Also, don't discredit Colin Klein and another player that can contribute to causing opposing defensive coordinators fits.  cK, who spent much of last season slit out at wide receiver, may very well push, or overtake Carson Coffman for the QB role.  If he can win the job it would do a lot to athleticize our already talented corp of offensive skill players.  If not he will still be one of many viable options available for the Wildcat and other forms of chicanery giving Snyder up to 5 former/current quarterbacks on the field at a given time.  

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
Anyone have any insight on how our special teams play is shaping up?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
Really, Lamur has been impressing?  That is a welcome surprise, I had all but written him off.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 11:39:07 PM »
Okay Trips, where did you copy & paste this one from? ;)

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »
He's obviously the best running threat for us... And has a cannon arm(coffman said that)...
EMAW