Author Topic: Bad Art Friend thing  (Read 1177 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Bad Art Friend thing
« on: October 06, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Art Friend thing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »
Apparently, the kidney donor has been pitching this story to journalists for years. And she demanded in her lawsuit that her own work be included in that Boston writing thing.

In hindsight, that she was bothered years ago about her writer friends not publicly praising her makes it seem like she wanted some kind of fame as a result of her story from the beginning.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »
It sounds to me like Dorland was jealous of others' success, narcissistic, and wanted to punish people for not being as close to her as she thought.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
Dorland is not shy about explaining how her past has afforded her a degree of moral clarity that others might not come by so easily. She was raised in near poverty in rural Iowa.

this is the best description of midwest friendliness i've ever heard (from Fargo, S2E3)

Lou Solverson Dawn Dorland: We're a very friendly people.

Mike Milligan Sonya Larson: No! That's not it. Pretty unfriendly actually. But it's the way you're unfriendly. How you're so polite about it.

[in a more stark tone]

Mike Milligan Sonya Larson: Like you're doin me a favor.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
I think both parties come out of that story looking pretty bad. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »
One seeking the love and approval she never got from her parents in weird way.
The other sounds like a privileged person of color appropriating what has happened in others lives but not her own.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »
I was with Larson until she compared her story to Moby Dick and compared the kidney donation to a neighbor planting petunias.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »
I was with Larson until she compared her story to Moby Dick and compared the kidney donation to a neighbor planting petunias.
I was kind of with her until all of the crap talking she was doing with her friends was revealed and kind of undercut her entire moral defense. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 11:22:29 AM »
I was kind of with her until all of the crap talking she was doing with her friends was revealed and kind of undercut her entire moral defense. 

I kind of expected that. IMO any reasonable person likely would have done some crap talking with close friends about the private kidney donation facebook group.

I'm just referring to which side I'm on, not what constitutes a good legal defense.

Also, was writers naming a group "chunky monkeys" supposed to be ironically bad? I cringed so much reading it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 12:00:17 PM »

I kind of expected that. IMO any reasonable person likely would have done some crap talking with close friends about the private kidney donation facebook group.

I'm just referring to which side I'm on, not what constitutes a good legal defense.

Also, was writers naming a group "chunky monkeys" supposed to be ironically bad? I cringed so much reading it.
It’s a fine line between catching inspiration on the one hand, and exploiting/making fun of on the other.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was falling into the former, but the gossip/crap talking made me think it was almost exclusively the latter.  I don’t think I’m on anyone’s side.  They’re both embarrassing.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 12:01:02 PM »
At least someone got a kidney out of the whole thing i guess.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 12:18:15 PM »
I really tried to give Dorland the benefit of the doubt when I started reading. The more I read between the lines, though, the more I thought her intentions about everything from beginning to end were REALLY mumped up. I wouldn't say that about Larson at all.

Also, Dorland was the only one of the two who actively tried to inflict harm on the other imo.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 12:42:38 PM »
I really tried to give Dorland the benefit of the doubt when I started reading. The more I read between the lines, though, the more I thought her intentions about everything from beginning to end were REALLY mumped up. I wouldn't say that about Larson at all.

Also, Dorland was the only one of the two who actively tried to inflict harm on the other imo.

the first tweet you shared summed it up well - Larson was a bit of a dick but Dorland is a sociopath

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 12:56:46 PM »
When the messages came out, I kept thinking about this

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »

hahahaha yes that's perfect

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »

lmao

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
chum, you have 2 full time thriving alpha jobs, and yet you still are able to post this quality(?) content. nice work.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 11:24:23 AM »