Author Topic: Aliens  (Read 17670 times)

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
Existence of aliens pretty much make the bible a big pile of BS.

Not a huge deal but it does.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »
I never saw anywhere in the Bible that said God didn't create life on other planets.

exactly.
Interesting theory.

Surely, if Aliens did exist, and were created by the same God that created us, those Aliens would have a similar monotheistic belief structure as Christians/Jews/Muslims do on Earth?

If not, that would land a pretty severe blow to "faith" as we know it.

IMO.

Naw, wouldn't change a thing.
Yeah.  It's funny how belief structures and faith change over time even though history never does.  Faith will just adjust to explain that little oversight...i.e., "God created the Aliens, he just didn't tell them about it, because he favored us the most." 

That'll go over well.

Yeah. Just like with the discovery of the dinosaurs, you know that little discovery that a whole other dominant species existed on this very planet hundreds of millions of years ago? That one really had people running from their churches and burning their bibles. Just like the other countless scientific facts and contradictions that people practicing faith have to ignore every day? (I come from a Christian family and respect people who hold onto strong faith, but that's just a fact.)

There's already people in this thread explaining how "the bible never explicitly states that their isn't alien life". Discovery of alien life would not change a thing. If anything, it would scare the hell out of everyone, especially if they come to us. We would flock to our synagogues/ temple's/mosques to ask our Buddha/Muhammad/Jesus/Sun God what we should do while the aliens power up their planet death ray.

Are you attempting to argue that faith hasn't changed dramatically over time?  It most certainly has.  It's too huge of a business to not adapt to the times.  If various faith based organizations tried to serve up the same message they did now as they did in the Crusades, they would lose customers.

We're arguing basically the same thing. Your choice of words made me think you might be just real dumb for a sec.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
If we're going on a 50,000 year roadtrip, I call shotgun and I'm packing a cooler.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
I never saw anywhere in the Bible that said God didn't create life on other planets.

exactly.
Interesting theory.

Surely, if Aliens did exist, and were created by the same God that created us, those Aliens would have a similar monotheistic belief structure as Christians/Jews/Muslims do on Earth?

IMO.

Yeah.  It's funny how belief structures and faith change over time even though history never does.  Faith will just adjust to explain that little oversight...i.e., "God created the Aliens, he just didn't tell them about it, because he favored us the most." 

That'll go over well.

Yeah. Just like with the discovery of the dinosaurs, you know that little discovery that a whole other dominant species existed on this very planet hundreds of millions of years ago? That one really had people running from their churches and burning their bibles. Just like the other countless scientific facts and contradictions that people practicing faith have to ignore every day? (I come from a Christian family and respect people who hold onto strong faith, but that's just a fact.)

There's already people in this thread explaining how "the bible never explicitly states that their isn't alien life". Discovery of alien life would not change a thing. If anything, it would scare the hell out of everyone, especially if they come to us. We would flock to our synagogues/ temple's/mosques to ask our Buddha/Muhammad/Jesus/Sun God what we should do while the aliens power up their planet death ray.

Are you attempting to argue that faith hasn't changed dramatically over time?  It most certainly has.  It's too huge of a business to not adapt to the times.  If various faith based organizations tried to serve up the same message they did now as they did in the Crusades, they would lose customers.

The jew has a point...

U gonna going to let the inquisition dood get away with that, SBG?

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2010, 12:20:44 AM »
Hey TBL, feel free to edit your post when you sober up. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »

:runaway:

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2010, 08:10:01 AM »

Not really, The bibe only addresses earth, it does not say one way or another that earth is the only planet with living beings on it.  When/if other life forms are discovered maybe we just add and new New Testament.  Maybe the aliens have a bible too and we can combine them assuming they are from the same God (of course they are, there is only one).

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:13 AM »

Not really, The bibe only addresses earth, it does not say one way or another that earth is the only planet with living beings on it.  When/if other life forms are discovered maybe we just add and new New Testament.  Maybe the aliens have a bible too and we can combine them assuming they are from the same God (of course they are, there is only one).

MODS!

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:36 AM »

1. Was not drinking
2. MJ called Saul a jew. While not inaccurate, still uncalled for.
3. MJ touts being Spanish, not a Mexican. Still not confirmed.
4. During the Spanish Insquisition, Jews were converted to the Roman Catholic faith or killed.

:gocho:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »

1. Was not drinking
2. MJ called Saul a jew. While not inaccurate, still uncalled for.
3. MJ touts being Spanish, not a Mexican. Still not confirmed.
4. During the Spanish Insquisition, Jews were converted to the Roman Catholic faith or killed.

:gocho:

Boom roasted

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
Gawd dammit, the Bible gave us Jesus and there is only one Jesus, he died for US not some other damn alien God project.   :chainsaw:   Look, I'm Christian, I am special and God has a plan for me, and you if you just give your life over to him and accept his Son as your savior.   He is not off double-timing his chosen people for Christ's sake.   Next you'll be telling me there are other Satans or that our Satan is also fracking up all these supposed other alien God beings?!?   :curse:   Read your damn Bible people, does it say anything like "on the first day God created Earth, on the second he created AlienEarth, on the third he created AlienEarthII", hell no it doesn't.   Earth took a day, so by God so would each of these other people planets, so, ....wait a sec, he could have gone back to work on the 8th day and ........hang on, I better go talk with my Minister about this.    :runaway:

ok, this is the funniest post i've ever read.

and to give this party a soundtrack

the thing about aliens is the absolute largeness of possibility. considering time and space, our existence on earth is a relative blip in the cosmos. moreover time more than likely will not move in another species like it does to us. our being here in the first place is an enormous improbability. for another species to exist, coinciding with time, provides very small chance that that species is intelligent, or a very high probability that they are hyper-intelligent.

that being said, what do things in this universe do except exist? my vote is that there is alien life out there. it may be much much older than we are, or it may be microscopic. but when the universe is

much bigger than this, it is hard to find reason to believe there aren't multiple species coexisting in time separated by space, against all odds.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I really have no idea WTF I was even referring to.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
Gawd dammit, the Bible gave us Jesus and there is only one Jesus, he died for US not some other damn alien God project.   :chainsaw:   Look, I'm Christian, I am special and God has a plan for me, and you if you just give your life over to him and accept his Son as your savior.   He is not off double-timing his chosen people for Christ's sake.   Next you'll be telling me there are other Satans or that our Satan is also fracking up all these supposed other alien God beings?!?   :curse:   Read your damn Bible people, does it say anything like "on the first day God created Earth, on the second he created AlienEarth, on the third he created AlienEarthII", hell no it doesn't.   Earth took a day, so by God so would each of these other people planets, so, ....wait a sec, he could have gone back to work on the 8th day and ........hang on, I better go talk with my Minister about this.    :runaway:

ok, this is the funniest post i've ever read.

and to give this party a soundtrack

the thing about aliens is the absolute largeness of possibility. considering time and space, our existence on earth is a relative blip in the cosmos. moreover time more than likely will not move in another species like it does to us. our being here in the first place is an enormous improbability. for another species to exist, coinciding with time, provides very small chance that that species is intelligent, or a very high probability that they are hyper-intelligent.

that being said, what do things in this universe do except exist? my vote is that there is alien life out there. it may be much much older than we are, or it may be microscopic. but when the universe is

much bigger than this, it is hard to find reason to believe there aren't multiple species coexisting in time separated by space, against all odds.

Fact:  That photo is the capture of other galaxies in our universe the equivalent of holding a pinhead at arms length, those would be the ones covered up by the pinhead.   Now consider how many galaxies are out there, covering each area 360 degrees in all directions with a pinhead.    :surprised:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
They are all too far away.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

Obviously you've never seen Dune, just fold a little space and you're there.   

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »

Obviously you've never seen Dune, just fold a little space and you're there.   
Dune is make believe.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2010, 03:23:20 PM »
An awful lot of technology we use on a daily basis was make believe 20 or 30 years ago.  Can you imagine the uproar if you showed some old timey Civil War some of the munitions we use today?  Or a freaking iphone.  Or a goddamn microwave.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
That thread's already been done, jtksu.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:40 PM »
OR A GOD DAMN MICROWAVE

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
Yeah, that old timey thread was pretty BA.  Anyway- my point is that something that seems far-fetched today might not seem so impossible in the not-too-distant future.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
Yeah, that old timey thread was pretty BA.  Anyway- my point is that something that seems far-fetched today might not seem so impossible in the not-too-distant future.

like us being relevant in football again?

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
Seems like playing for the division in the final week of the regular season makes you relevant.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
It's reaaaly far away.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »

exactly.
Interesting theory.

IMO.

That'll go over well.

God-

Please do not confuse me with the hateful sinner Benja. ben ji is a completely different person who knows that you are all knowing and all powerful.

That is all

Good luck with that buddy. How's that all workin out for you? You feeling pretty good about winning the heaven lottery? I plan on arguing my case.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »

Yeah.

With our current technology any serious space travel just isn't possible. We need a new propulsion system, probably one powered by fusion. Unfortunately as of yet fusion generators create so much heat they melt every substance known to mankind that we could build them with.

And even if we figure out a new energy source for our spaceships, there's the problem of the theory of relativity. If Einstein was right, not only could we not travel faster than the speed of light which would still make for some seriously long space trips, but the warping of time that would occur at those speeds creates a lot of scary scenarios. Think about going on a little 2 year space cruise, only to come back and find out 100 years have passed, your whole family is dead and nobody remembers you.