Author Topic: New BBall Commit?  (Read 13551 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: New BBall Commit?
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
From Rankin:

Seven-foot center Adrian Diaz is a major sleeper in the 2011 class. In a class lacking high quality bigs, Diaz could become a priority in the near future. He is a long and has a developing offensive game. You can't teach size and Diaz has that in abundance. Playing for Gold Coast, Diaz has been moderately productive. Scoring inside, showing a decent face up game, blocking shots and rebounding his position. Look for his recruiting to pick up real soon.

that's the most encouraging thing i've read on him.  and even that includes a "playing for gold coast, diaz has been moderately productive.", which is hardly the stuff top 25 is made of.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »
Per Scouts, Texas was recruiting him. That has to mean something good, right?

I mean, doesn't this kid just look like a winner?

looks like jason bennett got a tan

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
I just hope he's better than Abdul "The House" Herrera

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »
KellisRobinett Interesting that Purdue called to offer Diaz a scholarship the same day he chose K-State. #badtiming

Purdue is good and stuff... :pbj:

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
Dax,
We are paying D Hill for the following:  Judge, McGruder, and Samuels.  Not to mention he gave us Sutton for 3 years.  Oh yeah Beasley for 1 year but he didn't have any impact on our program.  Those 3 won't do anything for us this season will they?  Holy crap, more like SonofEricPauley.
Nothing to do with martin

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »
Dax,
We are paying D Hill for the following:  Judge, McGruder, and Samuels.  Not to mention he gave us Sutton for 3 years.  Oh yeah Beasley for 1 year but he didn't have any impact on our program.  Those 3 won't do anything for us this season will they?  Holy crap, more like SonofEricPauley.

It's a what have you done for us lately world DD (sock) . . . join the rest of us.

Maybe the kid has some upside . . . but when I start hearing terms that sound more like project, than stud, I get concerned . . .  call it 30 plus years of following K-State basketball.   Probably the biggest issue is, will the kid want to get here and work, or be a typical 7 foot lazy ass.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
Probably the biggest issue is, will the kid want to get here and work, or be a typical 7 foot lazy ass.

no, the biggest issue is:  by taking this projecty, maybe fringe 150ish player, is the staff missing out on getting a better player?

if you don't think so, you should be happy with the diaz commit.  and also, you're a squawk.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »
Is there any section 17 flag potential for this guy?  That would have a significant impact on how I feel about this.

+1

We need to get his nationality figured out, quickly.  I am hoping for a Cuban.... :crossfingers:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
Probably the biggest issue is, will the kid want to get here and work, or be a typical 7 foot lazy ass.

no, the biggest issue is:  by taking this projecty, maybe fringe 150ish player, is the staff missing out on getting a better player?

if you don't think so, you should be happy with the diaz commit.  and also, you're a squawk.

Probably.  So is Kellis right, did Purdue offer??

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
It's probably not the easiest thing to find a true big that can run and keep up with the style of ball Frank likes.  From the scouting reports it looks like Diaz probably fits the bill in that regard so it's hard for me to be upset about this.  Some video would be nice though, I tried to find some with no luck.

His neck does remind me of J-Ben though  :runaway:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Is there any section 17 flag potential for this guy?  That would have a significant impact on how I feel about this.

+1

We need to get his nationality figured out, quickly.  I am hoping for a Cuban.... :crossfingers:

born in miami.  my guess on family would be pr.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »

+1

BOR-RING.  I'm not waving an American flag.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
I leave for the weekend and this crap happens.  Where's our PG Frank?  WHERE IS OUR POINT GUARD!?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Is there any section 17 flag potential for this guy?  That would have a significant impact on how I feel about this.

+1

We need to get his nationality figured out, quickly.  I am hoping for a Cuban.... :crossfingers:

BOR-RING.  I'm not waving an American flag.

17 is fairly liberal with which foreign flag to wave for any of our players.  It certainly won't be USA.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Meyer about Diaz
An athletic big man who runs the floor well and is also a threat from behind the 3-point arc

:surprised:

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
An athletic big man who runs the floor well and is also a threat from behind the 3-point arc

Wow just like that this guy went from can't make crap from 5 feet out to a three point threat. Amazing what frank does with these kids.  :kstatriot:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2010, 02:13:22 PM »

With this european-flair to the game, we may want to rethink our moniker...

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »

Looks like frank got his point guard after all. Take that stevedave.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:17:02 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
without trying to get all powertardy, I would suggest that Frank is like a lot of coaches that put a premium on the 5 position.  It's why Portalnd took Oden over Durant....was that smart, I don't think so, but you would find a lot of coaches that would have made the same pick.  I'm guessing Frank feels like he needs a big in this class and there just aren't many out there.  I'm not a huge fan of this type of thinking, but I get it, and I do trust that Frank knows what he's doing.  NOW GIVE ME A 5 STAR I CAN GET EXCITED ABOUT!!!

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
without trying to get all powertardy, I would suggest that Frank is like a lot of coaches that put a premium on the 5 position.  It's why Portalnd took Oden over Durant....was that smart, I don't think so, but you would find a lot of coaches that would have made the same pick.  I'm guessing Frank feels like he needs a big in this class and there just aren't many out there.  I'm not a huge fan of this type of thinking, but I get it, and I do trust that Frank knows what he's doing.  NOW GIVE ME A 5 STAR I CAN GET EXCITED ABOUT!!!

Luis Colon?

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
If he really is athletic, combined with the fact that he weighs 220 lbs, it's a fantastic pickup.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
If he really is athletic, combined with the fact that he weighs 220 lbs, it's a fantastic pickup.

This guy is getting bigger by the minute

Quote from: Smellis
His name is Adrian Diaz, a 7-foot, 205-pounder

Read more: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/994#ixzz0vP133Bet

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/994
I'm purple down

doubledribble

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
Meek at it:
The Diaz house was packed when Kansas State faced Butler in the Elite Eight in March.

Surrounded by aunts, uncles and cousins — all of whom were pulling for Frank Martin and the Wildcats — Adrian Diaz had a feeling K-State might be in his future.

"Absolutely," said Diaz, a 6-foot-11 center from Miami.

Diaz made it official Sunday, becoming K-State's first verbal commitment for the class of 2011. A versatile big man from Hialeah-Miami Lakes High, Diaz chose K-State instead of Alabama, Florida, Purdue, Tennessee and others.

"I really felt comfortable with them — the offensive sets, how they run up and down the floor," Diaz said. "I really feel comfortable with the whole coaching staff, not just coach Martin."

Clearly, though, Martin's Miami connections factored in the decision. Diaz said his uncle is close to Martin and Shakey Rodriguez, Martin's former boss at Miami Senior High.

Diaz, who shares Martin's Cuban heritage, also liked the prospect of joining other players from the Miami area. Current Wildcats Martavious Irving and Freddy Asprilla spent their high school careers in Florida, and Miami has been a recruiting hotbed for K-State since Martin was hired.

"I'm not the only one from Miami that's going to be there," Diaz said.

ESPN described Diaz as a "major sleeper" in the 2011 class after his performance at the AAU nationals last week. Diaz, who recently turned 17, said his recruiting interest spiked significantly this summer.

"I would say last year at the end of the summer, that's when mid-majors started calling me and getting in touch with me," Diaz said. "As the year went on, I had bigger and bigger schools calling me."

Diaz's size — 6-11, 205 pounds — and length caught the eyes of high-major coaches, and the attention intensified when Diaz displayed an expanded offensive game this summer.

"I can run up and down the floor really well as a big man," Diaz said. "I have great hands. I can score in transition. I can hit 15-and-out jump shots."

With his stock climbing, Diaz didn't stay on the market for long. K-State fans won't be disappointed, he said.

"I play with heart, really," he said. "I'm going to leave it all on the court."

K-State will have at least two scholarships to fill in 2011 with the departure of seniors Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly. The addition of Diaz means K-State could field a future frontcourt of Diaz, Asprilla, Jamar Samuels, McDonald's All-American Wally Judge and 7-footer Jordan Henriquez-Roberts.

stunz

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »

looks more street intimidating than basketball intimidating

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »

+1

Diaz, who shares Martin's Cuban heritage, also liked the prospect of joining other players from the Miami area.

:ksu: