Author Topic: New BBall Commit?  (Read 13567 times)

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
Re: New BBall Commit?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 08:03:38 AM »
I trust Frank.  We are bitching about a kids weight who projects out to be a high end 4 possibly higher.  I think Frank took a chance on a 6'8 200 lb skinny 3 star kid named Jamar Samuels.  Took a chance on a near wash out 2.3 pts. a game guy at Uconn.  Denis was on his  last leg.  I  think Frank might know what he is doing.  Enjoy the ride.  btw, found an article on Diaz that said Minnesota and Tennessee were trying to get in late on him. 

here's the thing about jamar though (i won't even acknowledge your kelly and clemente references because they are beyond stupid): while he was a skinny kid who played backup pretty much everywhere he went, we was still a known quantity.  see offer list below.  adrian diaz has offers from n. florida, high point, etc.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jamar-Samuels-47902

doubledribble

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 08:09:56 AM »
When a kid has an injury his junior year he falls off the radar a little bit.   He is completely healthy and back this summer.  He will be a known quantity and like I said a high end 4 star with 5 star potential.  I wasn't comparing him as a player to Denis and CK.  It was a reference to Frank taking chances and seeing something when no one else does.  I will agree with you he has to put on weight big time.  The big picture here is the word:  POTENTIAL

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »
I am pretty sure weight doesn't matter when recruiting when you have the best strength coach in the nation.  Has anyone seen JO lately?  Dude has put on some weight.  What like 20 lbs this summer.  

JO's weight increase is a credit to Wyatt and Lon's mental assault on the kid during the Catbacker tour.  Not Greenawalt's doing.

Wyatt was rough ridin' relentless.  Even told him what to eat....

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
goddammit

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 08:48:58 AM »
shouldn't we be recruiting talent and not just potential at this point?  I mean, we're not the damn football team.

doubledribble

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 09:03:43 AM »
Yeah, we should be in a position to tell Frank what fits his system.  You should know Frank recruits his system not just anything.  The kid is just 17 and 7 foot.  I think when you standout at a aau tournament enough that you have publications writing about you you might have a little talent.  Jim Boheim and oscar Pearl jumped in.  But you're right, we don't want 7 footers who have range, can run, and jump.  Those are qualities that are not good for basketball.  He hardly played last season.  But when this kid goes out and goes double double his senior year and jumps into the rankings, you'll be all over him.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
I trust Frank.  We are bitching about a kids weight who projects out to be a high end 4 possibly higher.  I think Frank took a chance on a 6'8 200 lb skinny 3 star kid named Jamar Samuels.  Took a chance on a near wash out 2.3 pts. a game guy at Uconn.  Denis was on his  last leg.  I  think Frank might know what he is doing.  Enjoy the ride.  btw, found an article on Diaz that said Minnesota and Tennessee were trying to get in late on him. 

here's the thing about jamar though (i won't even acknowledge your kelly and clemente references because they are beyond stupid): while he was a skinny kid who played backup pretty much everywhere he went, we was still a known quantity.  see offer list below.  adrian diaz has offers from n. florida, high point, etc.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jamar-Samuels-47902

GP always paints the picture that their are hundreds of schools after the kid.  "Fighting off interest from multiple schools, etc"....

Looks like he had some "interest" from a few decent schools, one of them maybe being Syracuse.

If we're going to compare this situation to Samuels, the dude was a three star and nice pick up,  good roll player for us.  

This was his list.

School     Interest     Offer     Visit     Recruited by
Kansas State   COMMITTED (05/08/2007)   Offered   None   

Clemson   None      None   
DePaul   None      None   
George Mason   None   Offered   None   
Georgetown   None   Offered   None   
Pittsburgh   None      None   
Providence   None      None   
Seton Hall   None   Offered   None   
Syracuse   None      None   
Tennessee   None   Offered   None   
Virginia   None      None   
Virginia Commonwealth   None      None

I don't really know where the high 4 star stuff is coming from.  He looks to have some decent potential, but looks like a major project that is going to need at least one to two years into the system before making a real impact.  See, Henriquez.  

I trust Frank, but this one is a bit of a head scratcher, honestly.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »
Yeah, we should be in a position to tell Frank what fits his system.  You should know Frank recruits his system not just anything.  The kid is just 17 and 7 foot.  I think when you standout at a aau tournament enough that you have publications writing about you you might have a little talent.  Jim Boheim and oscar Pearl jumped in.  But you're right, we don't want 7 footers who have range, can run, and jump.  Those are qualities that are not good for basketball.  He hardly played last season.  But when this kid goes out and goes double double his senior year and jumps into the rankings, you'll be all over him.

You know who else was 7 foot tall and had lots of potential?  Jason Bennett.  GD'it, every rough ridin' 7 footer that doesn't trip over the half-court line is said to have POTENTIAL.    I think we are at the point as a program where we shouldn't have to go digging for DITR big men.  Boeheim and Pearl haven't jumped in, they are "evaluating".  It's something every good coach does because they want to cover all their bases.  And Diaz doesn't have range - there's been numerous reports about the fact that he has little offense outside of 10 feet.  But you're right about one thing, I will be excited if Diaz has a good rest of the summer and a good senior season and starts to rise in the rankings.  Until then, I'm completely MEH! about this commitment.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »
Can we not compare every shitty-to-mid rated recruit to one that happened to work out in the past?  

Just because both recruits were not ranked high does not make them apt comparisons. Besides, anybody could give 5 examples of ones that didnt turn out great compared to every one that did

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 09:42:53 AM »
Frank loves Colon, frank Loves JHR, Frank loves Diaz. If you are tall and have a Hispanic sounding last name, you can have a BB scholarship. If you stick around for 4 years...you WILL start your senior season.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
double . . . please stay back in Powertardville.   This is the big boy board.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
Now on this kid . . .  :facepalm:

doubledribble

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »
Seems like you guys are on GPC more than me.  You complain about them all the time but when you are not on this board, you are surfing theirs to look for news to post over here.  If you were really all about goEMAW you would stay off those boards.  What percentage of users over here go back and forth for information?  If you don't like our recruits buy a pair of loafers and head east.  Maybe there is room at the yacht club.

doubledribble

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
Maybe we should go get more players like Siebrandt, Pasco, and Buchanon. 

Offline A-Lishious

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Mods, somebody spilled a full glass of tard in this thread. Can we get a cleanup please?
 :users:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
Seems like you guys are on GPC more than me.  You complain about them all the time but when you are not on this board, you are surfing theirs to look for news to post over here.  If you were really all about goEMAW you would stay off those boards.  What percentage of users over here go back and forth for information?  If you don't like our recruits buy a pair of loafers and head east.  Maybe there is room at the yacht club.

What does it matter if we read that board??  It doesn't.   As has been stated, there's simply no reason for Frank to be taking "chances" on a kid who can run up and down the court and who is tall.   Why the F_ck are we paying Dalonte Hill nearly $470k a year (that includes bonuses) if this is the kind of kid we're going to be signing??   A tall spindly ass kid who has no game outside of 5 feet who only played 4 games last year and instead of waiting Frank is pushing for a commit now . . . stupid.   That's why a lot of other programs are still "evaluating" the kid.   The offers have come from lessor programs, or from desperate D1 programs, with desperate coaching staffs.   Who are likely looking to have a 7 footer to tell their administration about when the administration is trying to fire their ass.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Per Scouts, Texas was recruiting him. That has to mean something good, right?

I mean, doesn't this kid just look like a winner?

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
Per Scouts, Texas was recruiting him. That has to mean something good, right?

I mean, doesn't this kid just look like a winner?

Is his name Spanish for neck?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
I'm not saying the kid is awful.  I have no idea, I haven't seen him.  I'm just asking that everytime we get a 3 star, lets not start yelling about how he automatically must be as good as Pullen or Samuels because thats pretty rough ridin' stupid.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
This dd guy is a pretty good poster. This board needs this.  :cheers:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »
Is there any section 17 flag potential for this guy?  That would have a significant impact on how I feel about this.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
From Rankin:

Seven-foot center Adrian Diaz is a major sleeper in the 2011 class. In a class lacking high quality bigs, Diaz could become a priority in the near future. He is a long and has a developing offensive game. You can't teach size and Diaz has that in abundance. Playing for Gold Coast, Diaz has been moderately productive. Scoring inside, showing a decent face up game, blocking shots and rebounding his position. Look for his recruiting to pick up real soon.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »
KellisRobinett Interesting that Purdue called to offer Diaz a scholarship the same day he chose K-State. #badtiming

doubledribble

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
Dax,
We are paying D Hill for the following:  Judge, McGruder, and Samuels.  Not to mention he gave us Sutton for 3 years.  Oh yeah Beasley for 1 year but he didn't have any impact on our program.  Those 3 won't do anything for us this season will they?  Holy crap, more like SonofEricPauley.