Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1460759 times)

wetwillie and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #16575 on: January 21, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
College ot is stupid. I would prefer just playing full quarters
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16576 on: January 21, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
Who do you guys think will be our next D Coordinator?

brent venables

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16577 on: January 21, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
They should just play an extra quarter, and if the game is still tied, settle it by kicking field goals. Back the kickers up 5 yards after each make.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16578 on: January 21, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »
I'm fine with sudden death rules as long as both teams get to touch the ball on offense.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16579 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »
College ot is stupid. I would prefer just playing full quarters

So you must think the current OT format for NFL is super stupid, right? 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16580 on: January 21, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
I'm fine with sudden death rules as long as both teams get to touch the ball on offense.

So college OT rules, right?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16581 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »

So college OT rules, right?
Regular football with kickoffs and everything, like we have now, the only tweak is if that first drive is a TD instead of just a FG, still have to kick it off and give the other team a shot.  Sudden death from that point.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16582 on: January 21, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »
WNK's way of coping is to defend nfl overtime rules to the death, and that's ok too

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16583 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
I've gotten to the point watching football that whenever something good happens for my team, be it a turnover or even a stop on third down, I don't get excited. Instead, I stare nervously at the screen overlay waiting for that yellow flag indicator to pop up. Only after 5 or so seconds has elapsed do I allow myself to feel excited. Well, in my excitement last night, I totally forgot to stick to my process on the offside-int, and it ripped my entire guts out :frown:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16584 on: January 21, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
WNK's way of coping is to defend nfl overtime rules to the death, and that's ok too

Not defending.  I highly dislike the NFL OT rules.  I want college rules, but start from 40+ yard line.  Kickoffs are usually touchbacks anyways...so why do them in OT?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16585 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:18 PM »

Not defending.  I highly dislike the NFL OT rules.  I want college rules, but start from 40+ yard line.  Kickoffs are usually touchbacks anyways...so why do them in OT?

I could go either way on kickoffs in OT but starting at the 40?  Seems like that game would never end.  Start them at whatever the touchback yard is that year.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16586 on: January 21, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »
1) Brady 46 dropbacks. KC got 5 pressures (10.9%). Mahomes 36 dropbacks. NE got 16 pressures (44.4%)

2) Brady on 3rd down and 4+ yds to go -- 8 for 9, 114 yds

3) KC 1st half offense- Number of plays of 10+ yds (2). Number of plays we lost 10 yds or more (3)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #16587 on: January 21, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »

3) KC 1st half offense- Number of plays of 10+ yds (2). Number of plays we lost 10 yds or more (3)

Number of plays: 15.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #16588 on: January 21, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
I hate to question Andy Reid, because he is a great coach. But why the crap would you ever win the toss and defer in this game?

We played them already once this season, got off to an extremely slow start, and had to play catch-up all game. To guard against that happening again, why not take the ball right out of the gate with your extremely prolific offense and a completely jacked stadium and try to do something with it? Instead, we deferred to the second half, kicked to them, and they promptly marched down the field on a 7+ minute drive that A) immediately tired out our defense, and B) put us behind immediately and made us play catch-up, and C) took the wind out of the fans' sails right away. Patriots wore out our already awful defense to some degree on the very first drive, it's no wonder they never had a chance in overtime and gave up multiple 3rd and 10+ conversions. Take the ball right away, let Mahomes do his thing, and rough ridin' score out of the gate. Absolutely ridiculous decision to give them the ball right away and have to play catch-up from 14 down at halftime WHEN THAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED ONCE THIS SEASON AND IT RESULTED IN A LOSS.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16589 on: January 21, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »
Chiefs first 5 drives (not counting the 1 play drive to end 1st half) = 3 drives we had miscues, missed opportunities or NE made an impactful defensive play

1) 3rd & 1.  Can't convert on a run. No gain. Punt
2) Overthrow on a sure fire TD to DWill. Then a QB sack of 14 yds knocking us out of FG range.
3) False start by Cam. Drop by Kelce that would have set up 2nd and short at the very least. 3 yd loss on a sack. Punt that gives NE the ball at KC 37

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16590 on: January 21, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
I hate to question Andy Reid, because he is a great coach. But why the crap would you ever win the toss and defer in this game?

We played them already once this season, got off to an extremely slow start, and had to play catch-up all game. To guard against that happening again, why not take the ball right out of the gate with your extremely prolific offense and a completely jacked stadium and try to do something with it? Instead, we deferred to the second half, kicked to them, and they promptly marched down the field on a 7+ minute drive that A) immediately tired out our defense, and B) put us behind immediately and made us play catch-up, and C) took the wind out of the fans' sails right away. Patriots wore out our already awful defense to some degree on the very first drive, it's no wonder they never had a chance in overtime and gave up multiple 3rd and 10+ conversions. Take the ball right away, let Mahomes do his thing, and rough ridin' score out of the gate. Absolutely ridiculous decision to give them the ball right away and have to play catch-up from 14 down at halftime WHEN THAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED ONCE THIS SEASON AND IT RESULTED IN A LOSS.

I don't question his logic there at all. The second half is more important than the first. The poor logic was when he called a timeout to give New England the opportunity to score before halftime when they were content to just run out the clock.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16591 on: January 21, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
PP's method of getting through this tough time is forming unfathomably long posts that absolutely not one single person will read, and i wish him well. #1chief

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16592 on: January 21, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »
 :billdance:

Number of plays: 15.

Technically 16 plays. Still atrocious.

Also really bad. Pass to Hill, 42 yds. Other 15 plays, Minus 10 yds.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16593 on: January 21, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
skinben is trying to make the pain go away by irrationally hating something the chiefs have used to their advantage all season, and i hope it works for him. #1chief

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16594 on: January 21, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »

I usually agree with deferring but this is a good point.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16595 on: January 21, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
I really hope the front office can put together a defense that can stop the run this offseason.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16596 on: January 21, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
PP's method of getting through this tough time is forming unfathomably long posts that absolutely not one single person will read, and i wish him well. #1chief

Long?? Ohhh-kay

One of my 2 posts today was 3 stats about the game. 

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #16597 on: January 21, 2019, 02:40:23 PM »

what the pats do on their first possession should have no bearing on what the chiefs offense does on theirs. each team is going to get roughly 10-12 possessions by game's end. the chiefs were not pressing on their first drive of the game just because they were down 7 points. the chiefs won the toss and deferred in each of their first nine games. they allowed zero opening-drive TDs in any of those games, which includes the patriots (the chiefs deferred the prior year vs the pats, gave up an opening-drive TD and then came back to beat them by 15 points).

the first time the chiefs allowed an opening-possession TD this year was to the rams, and the chiefs bounced back perfectly fine (they tied the game at 23 at half with a TD late in the 2nd quarter, then got ball first after halftime.)

when NFL coaches first got the option to defer in 2008, only 8 percent of teams took it after winning the toss.

this past year, the number has ballooned to over 80 percent.

if you play your cards right, deferring gives you a chance to steal a possession by scoring on the final play of the first half and then again right after halftime. for a team like the chiefs, with such an explosive offense, that's a huge opportunity to open the floodgates. and unlike limited offensive teams who are not equipped to play from behind, the chiefs don't have to worry about that. so who cares.

by the way, the chiefs were not well prepared to move the ball against the pats early; it wasn't until they made adjustments after half that they started moving the ball effectively. whether they took ball first or second, there's no reason to think it would have mattered.

one reason i prefer deferring at arrowhead, beyond some of what's referenced above, is because chiefs fans never make it back to their seats by the start of the third quarter. it's always a half-empty stadium, including yesterday. half of my row was not back from concessions by the time kelce scored his TD. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #16598 on: January 21, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
skinben is trying to make the pain go away by irrationally hating something the chiefs have used to their advantage all season, and i hope it works for him. #1chief

There were two times it was decidedly to our detriment, and it was against the pats
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:46:38 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16599 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »

if you play your cards right, deferring gives you a chance to steal a possession by scoring on the final play of the first half and then again right after halftime. for a team like the chiefs, with such an explosive offense, that's a huge opportunity to open the floodgates. and unlike limited offensive teams who are not equipped to play from behind, the chiefs don't have to worry about that. so who cares.

ESPN had a stat about how the Pats are better than league average at stealing the possession but still only did it something like 8 out of 114 attempts.  As good as the Pats have been against us though, including running a perfect drive (time/scoring) to beat us in NE, I think you have to defer.