Author Topic: Anyone have this or something similar?  (Read 5725 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Anyone have this or something similar?
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
Kougz speaker thread made me think of it.  May get one.  Would like to stream stuff from my PC to my TV with minimal hassle.  Also like the Pandora functionality.  :dunno:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Network-ready-Player-WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN/dp/B002KKFP9Y

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have this or something similar?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
I just use my 360. If you want something small, just get an HTPC like the Dell Zino. Really easy to network and it can do anything you want. I hate things like that since it's all proprietary. Functionality is so iffy.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »
Use my PS3 as it's also a blu-ray player.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
I just use my 360. If you want something small, just get an HTPC like the Dell Zino. Really easy to network and it can do anything you want. I hate things like that since it's all proprietary. Functionality is so iffy.
the 360 isn't proprietary?  functionality not iffy? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
true sd story:  Haven't watched a dvd or blueray for probably 5 years.  

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:35:34 PM »
Have never watched a blue-ray, even though I've meant to ever since I got a PS3. Was just reading some google trends news story this morning on using hulu desktop and some device to watch stuff on your TV. Right now, I'm still running an S-video cable from the laptop and using the wireless mouse as a remote and using old desktop speakers for volume. Pretty sad/embarrassing. 
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »
Love Blu-Ray.

Love.
It.
 :love:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »
the 360 isn't proprietary?  functionality not iffy?  

It uses UPnP. Definitely not propietary. Even then, it's not like I bought it for it to be my main media center, nor was I saying he should get one. In fact I recommended something else. :flush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »
My laptop has a blueray player.  Will probably grow old never having touched a blue ray disc. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »
Don't have cable or the intranets. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
the 360 isn't proprietary?  functionality not iffy? 

It uses UPnP. Definitely not propietary. Even then, it's not like I bought it for it to be my main media center, nor was I saying he should get one. In fact I recommended something else. :flush:
cool, i'm going to buy a new HDD from newegg and get that bad boy hooked up to my 360.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
also will be using my Wifi card on my 360 instead of buying their ripoff wifi unit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »
I was thinking about doing a network with some sort if music device that could run off NAS.  Once I started figuring out what I wanted, seemed to get pretty pricey

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
I was thinking about doing a network with some sort if music device that could run off NAS.  Once I started figuring out what I wanted, seemed to get pretty pricey

I think the thing I posted the link to would do it pretty cheap :dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »

I was also looking for network storage though and thats where it gets expensive.  I have a couple in my basement that like to pick through my music and wouldnt want to open my whole desktop to them.  Also have friends that come over and they could copy some stuff...and I trust them less  :chainsaw:

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
Weird I was thinking of buying one of those but meant to weigh the pros and cons on here.
Is it really worth it to buy one of those if I can just hook up my laptop to the tv with an hdmi cable? quality be that much better  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
Weird I was thinking of buying one of those but meant to weigh the pros and cons on here.
Is it really worth it to buy one of those if I can just hook up my laptop to the tv with an hdmi cable? quality be that much better  :dunno:

I don't know about quality but seems really easy.  Plus, you can torrent every MST3k and just pull them up whenevs. 

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »
also will be using my Wifi card on my 360 instead of buying their ripoff wifi unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156258 This is your best option.

And for your hard drive, make sure to format it to fat32, and you're good to go. Glad I could help.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »

I was also looking for network storage though and thats where it gets expensive.  I have a couple in my basement that like to pick through my music and wouldnt want to open my whole desktop to them.  Also have friends that come over and they could copy some stuff...and I trust them less  :chainsaw:

I had an old laptop and its screen went out. It is now running Windows Home Server and has almost 2 TB in external drives on it. Got a gigabit port for it and the N wireless wifi adapter I linked above for clams on my 360 and streaming HD movies is a breeze. I RDP into it to download torrents. I keep all my music on it. It's a good setup.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »

I had an old laptop and its screen went out. It is now running Windows Home Server and has almost 2 TB in external drives on it. Got a gigabit port for it and the N wireless wifi adapter I linked above for clams on my 360 and streaming HD movies is a breeze. I RDP into it to download torrents. I keep all my music on it. It's a good setup.

Expect a series of dumb-as-hell questions from me in the future about all of this. 

See though, that architecture degree isn't just good for home-theater/pillar set ups, it is good for home networking too. :thumbsup:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
+1

I've got a 360, a Sony Bravia and an S cable (slightly used). Does that work?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156258 This is your best option.

And for your hard drive, make sure to format it to fat32, and you're good to go. Glad I could help.
massive failure of post

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »

massive failure of post

Your first one was pretty bad. Implying I was suggesting a 360 for media play back is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). Especially when I recommended something else. What a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). Probably a cf0506 sock.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »
And if you wanted to really put it down, put down it's restriction on codecs and file size. Audio support is wretched. Don't try to put stuff down that you're actually able to work around. You're bad at this.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
And if you wanted to really put it down, put down it's restriction on codecs and file size. Audio support is wretched. Don't try to put stuff down that you're actually able to work around. You're bad at this.

all this codec talk is boring me. tell us more about your hotshot masters degree.  :lol: