Author Topic: Field of 96?  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Field of 96?
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

Its risk/reward, but likely more games = more excitement (at least for some) = more $$$. 

Actually, it's apparently less $$$ for KSU/Big XII the next couple of years...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1732236.html

How would revenue be distributed? We’re talking about the same amount of TV/media contract revenue for 31 more teams. Kansas and Texas get less for their leagues?

“Conferences like ours are a lot of the reason there’s so much value for this tournament,” Beebe said. “Are we going to be willing to take less?”

"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
i don't mind the 96 number.   i like it better than 128 to give incentive to get into the top 32 so you can get a bye.  i find it difficult though to determine who plays the #1 seed in the round of 64.  the 16/17 winner or the 9/32 winner ???

they could do it a lot of ways, but most likely it'd either be 16/17, or they'd reseed after the play in round.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »

yeah, this is what will be the huge sticking point to getting this done.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »

yeah, this is what will be the huge sticking point to getting this done.

Not sure how strong the "federalism" balance is with conferences vs. NCAA, but there is zero way UT, ku, probably k-state and every perennial tourney team at every other d1 conference doesn't hate this.

A coalition of mid-majors and SLTHs does not get this done once the big boys hear that revenue will fall.  Can't see the motivation for the NCAA either if revenue goes DOWN.

The smartest thing would be for home court for the top 8 teams or something and then make the regionals way more ridic in terms of catering to closest market/big city, but it would be kind of hard to do that, would only be a marginal difference and would probably still lose tv/ticket money for the NCAA.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
The CBS deal ends in 2014 right?  Maybe no expansion until then?

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 03:33:24 PM »
A coalition of mid-majors and SLTHs does not get this done once the big boys hear that revenue will fall.  Can't see the motivation for the NCAA either if revenue goes DOWN.

money goes down for teams (1/96 or 1/128 of x rather than 1/65).  if the rev sharing stays the same, the ncaa benefits because they suck their share off the top, and this is their way of keeping the revenue from falling.

no idea what the balance of power is between power schools vs small schools + ncaa.  might see a compromise like a 80 team tourney.  or removal of the mid-major friendly proposals like the conf season winner auto invites.  wide open possibilities, very exciting.  

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Any tourney proposal that gets teams from $hitty conferences eliminated fast and allows more teams from decent conferences to play higher seeds sooner works for me.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fischin

• Fan
  • Dude...eff KU!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
sys has me convinced that the 96 team tourney might not be all that bad of a deal. With the 1-8 getting bye, that should increase the competition to get that bye...when i started reading this thread i thought "stupid idea." Now, I'm kind of open to it.
 :doom: :doom:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
The CBS deal ends in 2014 right?  Maybe no expansion until then?

The NCAA has the option to opt out after this year and they will do just that.  ESPN/ABC will challenge CBS for the new contract.  CBS is going to partner with Turner to make sure they have enough juice for the bid.  The only way I can see the Turner partnership making sense is if they feel the tourney is getting expanded.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
Quote from: crashthedance
If tourney expanded to 96, CtD first 4 out this year right now would be Marshall, Iowa State, Harvard, and Alabama.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2010, 08:47:36 AM »
If tourney expanded to 96, CtD last 4 in this year right now would be St. John's, NC State, Nevada, and Portland. Compelling.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
If tourney expanded to 96, CtD last 4 in this year right now would be St. John's, NC State, Nevada, and Portland. Compelling.

ouch.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »
The tournament has expanded 10 times since 1939.  But, it hasn't expanded since 1985. 

In the last 25 years, the number of DI teams has exploded to ~350 teams. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »
The tournament has expanded 10 times since 1939.  But, it hasn't expanded since 1985. 

In the last 25 years, the number of DI teams has exploded to ~350 teams. 

good thing the teams haven't exploded, only the number of teams has exploded. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.