Author Topic: Ranking if we win all of our games and don't lose any for a while?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would have to say we would probably be ranked somewhere between 10 to 13 if we are undefeated by the time we play Texas. It is difficult to climb that fast comming off unranked and not gong to a bowl the previous season. We always get screwed with rankings. If we were USC, Michigan, Florida, etc., they would probably be in the top five if they were in the same situation. Those teams get so much hype.

"Your behavior is shaped by its consequences." B.F. Skinner

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:03:00 PM by _33 »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking if we win all of our games and don't lose any?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »
I'm going to ask this question to Brian Kovar tomorrow morning.  I'll let you know what he says.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
2/3 through the season and undefeated usually gets you into a pretty good ranking.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
Just gave this question a little more thought, and here are my thoughts:

We are capable of winning all eight, but I doubt it happens. Would love that, but I would guess we'll likely be 7-1.

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »
If we make it that far and haven't lost, there's nothing that says we are going to lose unless we play someone really friggin' good.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
That's a good point, and that point also reminds me to share some of my points about why we will probably win a ton of games:

K-State has some key players to replace as well. Fitzgerald & J Moore on defense and Stringer & B Banks on offense. That said, I expect K-STate's defense and offense to be better in 2010 (again, assuming decent QB play). A ball control offense is a defense's best friend. If K-STate can produce a balanced offensive attack, the defense will only benefit (but you have to have a QB that can burn a defense if they stack the box to stop D-Train).

I see the CATS at no worse than 6 & 2 when Texas comes to town, but have a realistic shot of being 8 & 0.
Let the purple koolaid flow freely.

GO STATE !!

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking if we win all of our games and don't lose any for a while?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:07 AM »
if the k-state cat football manhattan campus football team is 8-0 heading into the game vs ut-austin, i will eat my little kitten mailbox.  :crossfingers:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 06:35:23 AM »
If we win against UCLA we'll be ranked, right? Like Top-15?

The sky is the limit.

Offline Huskerpride

• Corn Hole'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:26:47 AM »
if the k-state cat football manhattan campus football team is 8-0 heading into the game vs ut-austin, i will eat my little kitten mailbox.  :crossfingers:
Pretty close Fatty, but it's:

U.T- Lawrence
U.T-Manhattan
U.T-Ames
U.T-Columbia
U.T-Waco
U.T-Stillwater   etc. etc.

:driving:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »
Pretty close Fatty, but it's:

U.T- Lawrence
U.T-Manhattan
U.T-Ames
U.T-Columbia
U.T-Waco
U.T-Stillwater   etc. etc.

:driving:

:pray: Lord, thank you for Texas, for they have allowed us to make a ton of money, upgrade our schedule year in and year out, and get rid of the worst fan base in all of college football who still acts like 1995 is recent.  :pray:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »
Reading good posts! The ucla game is a big big game because of exposure around the nation plus making a statement about what our team and rockin stadium is all about. Playing the underdog role is always great when you can prove national media, other fans that kstate is a team that can win!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »
8-0, 7-1 Worst case
This post was edited on 7/14 9:14 PM by ksucripps2009

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
My game-by-game breakdown below proves that we are capable of winning all of our games for a while.

UCLA is a toss-up game, however I believe strongly that K-STate improved more than UCLA from the time the two teams played last season.
UCLA has some key players to replace on defense. BSFS will be a hostile environment for UCLA ... it's not the country club known as the Rose Bowl.
Year 2 under the Legend in BSFS = WIN

Missouri State - nice tune-up game for Iowa State = WIN

Iowa State will be very competitive, but as with the UCLA comparison, I believe K-STate improved more than Iowa State from the time the two teams played last season. That said, Iowa State returns a solid QB and very solid RB, but they have to replace no less than six starters on defense.
And the schedule = advantage K-State. While the CATS tune-up against Mo State at home, the Clones travel to Iowa City to play a rival.
Year 2 under the Legend in Arrowhead = WIN

UCF will not be a walk in the park. The knights were a bowl team a year ago, but only had one notable win (over Houston at home). They have to replace their QB (8 starters overall). And UCF was placed on probation for recruiting violations this off-season.

Nebraska >> the Corn's offense almost has to be better in 2010, but there is no doubt that the Corn's defense will take a step backwards (particularly early in the season). They have to replace 5 starters that were drafted or signed NFL free agent contracts. The media will be predicting a Nebraska win, but I feel awfully good about K-State's chances.
Plus, Nebraska could be peaking ahead to their showdown with Texas the following week (Texas has a bye week, so there fans & media will certainly be talking about it, could be a nice little distraction).
Year 2 under the Legend in BSFS = JUST WIN BABY !!!

k-who: The only thing that could beat K-State is a hang-over from an emotional win over Nebraska (or a disappointing loss). I don't see the Legend letting that happen (never mind the KSU students).
K-State is going to CRUSH ku = WIN

Baylor will be a tough road game. Robert Griffin returns, but if he's not 100%, his replacement was very good last year. Baylor is getting better, but they will hit a speed bump in 2010. The bears have to replace NINE starters on defense.
The CATS will produce a ball-control offense = WIN

Okie State should be an easy win for the CATS. Okie STate's recruiting has improved, but still the same, the Pokes have to replace 16 of 22 starters.

Offline DoDRepeat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »
According to my NCAA 11 Dynasty, with a win over #4 Nebraska (44-40) and a perfect record over the rest of our schedule I'm ranked #8 going into the Texas week. Texas is #7 (7-1) after losing to Texas Tech 36-41 in week 3. But in my experience with NCAA 11 so far, the polls are a little "hot".. as in they bump you up a lot.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 01:28:47 PM »
According to my NCAA 11 Dynasty, with a win over #4 Nebraska (44-40) and a perfect record over the rest of our schedule I'm ranked #8 going into the Texas week. Texas is #7 (7-1) after losing to Texas Tech 36-41 in week 3. But in my experience with NCAA 11 so far, the polls are a little "hot".. as in they bump you up a lot.

thats great to know.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline VGibsonLives

• Fan
  • Old School Purple Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »
There is a good chance the Cats will be ranked by ABC before the UCLA game, probably top fifteen. They saw how CBS jumped on the Frank Martin lead KSU Cats basketball team and rode that love fest to tremendous ratings.
Smart money says ABC will try to duplicate that glorious ride with the Kansas State University Cats football squad.
"I deleted all of my threads.  You guys don't deserve them."   BMW

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »
what was ukans ranked in '07 after starting 8-0? 

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »
Reading good posts! The ucla game is a big big game because of exposure around the nation plus making a statement about what our team and rockin stadium is all about. Playing the underdog role is always great when you can prove national media, other fans that kstate is a team that can win!!!

Exposure for beating unranked UCLA at home?

bardamu

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 01:06:20 AM »
37? ya 37.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
My game-by-game breakdown below proves that we are capable of winning all of our games for a while.

UCLA is a toss-up game, however I believe strongly that K-STate improved more than UCLA from the time the two teams played last season.
UCLA has some key players to replace on defense. BSFS will be a hostile environment for UCLA ... it's not the country club known as the Rose Bowl.

Missouri State - nice tune-up game for Iowa State = WIN

Iowa State will be very competitive, but as with the UCLA comparison, I believe K-STate improved more than Iowa State from the time the two teams played last season. That said, Iowa State returns a solid QB and very solid RB, but they have to replace no less than six starters on defense.
And the schedule = advantage K-State. While the CATS tune-up against Mo State at home, the Clones travel to Iowa City to play a rival.
Year 2 under the Legend in Arrowhead = WIN

UCF will not be a walk in the park. The knights were a bowl team a year ago, but only had one notable win (over Houston at home). They have to replace their QB (8 starters overall). And UCF was placed on probation for recruiting violations this off-season.

Nebraska >> the Corn's offense almost has to be better in 2010, but there is no doubt that the Corn's defense will take a step backwards (particularly early in the season). They have to replace 5 starters that were drafted or signed NFL free agent contracts. The media will be predicting a Nebraska win, but I feel awfully good about K-State's chances.
Plus, Nebraska could be peaking ahead to their showdown with Texas the following week (Texas has a bye week, so there fans & media will certainly be talking about it, could be a nice little distraction).
Year 2 under the Legend in BSFS = JUST WIN BABY !!!

k-who: The only thing that could beat K-State is a hang-over from an emotional win over Nebraska (or a disappointing loss). I don't see the Legend letting that happen (never mind the KSU students).
K-State is going to CRUSH ku = WIN

Baylor will be a tough road game. Robert Griffin returns, but if he's not 100%, his replacement was very good last year. Baylor is getting better, but they will hit a speed bump in 2010. The bears have to replace NINE starters on defense.
The CATS will produce a ball-control offense = WIN

Okie State should be an easy win for the CATS. Okie STate's recruiting has improved, but still the same, the Pokes have to replace 16 of 22 starters.

lovin' the optimism. thanks _33.  :ksu:

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »
If it's one thing I've learned through all of the predictions is that Missouri State is a definite win for us. We better be careful though, that could be BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL FOR THEM! OMG :doom:
[