Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 47291 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee
« Reply #525 on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
Just finished a medium hot coffee from dunkin donuts (bitb drive thru joe)
Made coffee with some locally roasted beans and it was amazing.

Then out of desperation grabbed some DD from the grocery store and honestly just about as good.

Man, I love me some DD coffee from the shop, but the DD keurig pods I got a few years ago were barftastic
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 29, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
Just finished a medium hot coffee from dunkin donuts (bitb drive thru joe)
Made coffee with some locally roasted beans and it was amazing.

Then out of desperation grabbed some DD from the grocery store and honestly just about as good.

Pro tip for fellow drip makers out there: the instructions always tell you to do way too many scoops of coffee. Honestly unless you’re using a filter with like a gigantic diameter there’s not much difference between 6 and 12 scoops.

I think the second quote explains the first. DD is decent coffee, though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 29, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
This quote explains both

My method is backed by rigorous science and experimentation.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 29, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »
I didn't realize he came up with his username based on his coffee making
:adios:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »
n00b question that maybe gE engineering and chemistry experts can help me with: why do they always say to use cold water when making coffee? If the water is going to be heated to near-boiling or boiling, why would it matter?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »
The chemical composition of water changes depending on what you use to heat the water with. Coffee makers have a special heating element that heats the water in just the right way so that chemically it is more ideal to rinse over coffee grounds. It's important to fill the coffee maker with cool water(below 72F) so that the chemical heating process is done correctly and your coffee comes out with the right texture for a solid cup of joe.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
The chemical composition of water changes depending on what you use to heat the water with. Coffee makers have a special heating element that heats the water in just the right way so that chemically it is more ideal to rinse over coffee grounds. It's important to fill the coffee maker with cool water(below 72F) so that the chemical heating process is done correctly and your coffee comes out with the right texture for a solid cup of joe.
Not trying to be dense but how does the chemical composition change? Isn't it H20 the whole time?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »
I always assumed it was cause hot water has to go through more junk (namely, a water heater) before it gets to the tap. So more opportunity for contamination.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2021, 03:24:59 PM »
I'm highly skeptical my Mr. Coffee that cost $15 has any kind of special heating element.  It more likely has the cheapest hottest thing they could jam in there without causing many shorts or fires or outright melting through the case.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 03, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
I'm highly skeptical my Mr. Coffee that cost $15 has any kind of special heating element.  It more likely has the cheapest hottest thing they could jam in there without causing many shorts or fires or outright melting through the case.
FWIW, this tread says that cold water has more dissolved O2 in it and that is good, i guess:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/744vsa/why_do_the_coffee_instructions_specify_cold_water/

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 03, 2021, 03:37:58 PM »
Not trying to be dense but how does the chemical composition change? Isn't it H20 the whole time?

A water molecule consists of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom, and its overall structure is bent. This is because the oxygen atom, in addition to forming bonds with the hydrogen atoms, also carries two pairs of unshared electrons. All of the electron pairs shared and unshared repel each other.

The most stable arrangement is the one that puts them farthest apart from each other: a tetrahedron, with the O-H bonds forming two out of the four “legs”. The lone pairs are slightly more repulsive than the bond electrons, so the angle between the O-H bonds is slightly less than the 109° of a perfect tetrahedron, around 104.5°.^2 The heating element in a normal coffee machine keeps this perfect tetrahedron intact while heating the water up. So when the water goes over the coffee grounds with this perfect tetrahedron it chemically can absorb more of the flavor of the coffee grounds.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 03, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
I always assumed it was cause hot water has to go through more junk (namely, a water heater) before it gets to the tap. So more opportunity for contamination.

More to do with hot water just sits there in the tank, but cold water is cycled more often. Stagnate water doesn't taste good.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 03, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 03, 2021, 08:15:24 PM »
hot water leaches more lead out of your lead pipes

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 04, 2021, 12:54:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/ProjectJosiee/status/1388672650277384193
don't know what that is but it isn't coffee

That's twenty ounces of HFCS in various different flavors, topped with whip cream and then more sugar on top.

Probably pretty healthy.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 04, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »

A water molecule consists of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom, and its overall structure is bent. This is because the oxygen atom, in addition to forming bonds with the hydrogen atoms, also carries two pairs of unshared electrons. All of the electron pairs shared and unshared repel each other.

The most stable arrangement is the one that puts them farthest apart from each other: a tetrahedron, with the O-H bonds forming two out of the four “legs”. The lone pairs are slightly more repulsive than the bond electrons, so the angle between the O-H bonds is slightly less than the 109° of a perfect tetrahedron, around 104.5°.^2 The heating element in a normal coffee machine keeps this perfect tetrahedron intact while heating the water up. So when the water goes over the coffee grounds with this perfect tetrahedron it chemically can absorb more of the flavor of the coffee grounds.
:Bullsh!t:
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/ProjectJosiee/status/1388672650277384193
don't know what that is but it isn't coffee

That's twenty ounces of HFCS in various different flavors, topped with whip cream and then more sugar on top.

Probably pretty healthy.

and $28

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 17, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
I ordered some "Alpine Start" instant coffee from Amazon the other day. Not as good as actual brewed coffee but much less terrible than other instant coffee I've tried in the past. Would recommend if you need a coffee-like beverage in a place where you can't make actual coffee.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 08, 2022, 10:15:09 AM »
True life: I don't like coffee. I have tried once a month for the last year and I think can finally say no matter what it is coffeewise I just don't like it.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 08, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »
I ordered some "Alpine Start" instant coffee from Amazon the other day. Not as good as actual brewed coffee but much less terrible than other instant coffee I've tried in the past. Would recommend if you need a coffee-like beverage in a place where you can't make actual coffee.

This is my favorite instant coffee solution. this seems expensive but I can't remember what I used to get it for in Asia

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Premium-Vietnamese-Servings-Sachets/dp/B00HMCMADE/ref=asc_df_B00HMCMADE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198100375819&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16275647172514121693&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9067609&hvtargid=pla-378906411574&psc=1

@greg what do you typically try?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 08, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »
True life: I don't like coffee. I have tried once a month for the last year and I think can finally say no matter what it is coffeewise I just don't like it.
Good, don't start Greg

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 08, 2022, 02:19:54 PM »

You're a picky eater, aren't you

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 08, 2022, 02:32:01 PM »
In my opinion, the secret to really enjoying coffee is to use half and half.