Author Topic: cooking  (Read 285224 times)

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #4275 on: May 30, 2023, 07:02:44 AM »
hate your guts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: May 30, 2023, 09:48:07 AM »
I've been getting into butcher tiktok lately, and got a hankering to buy a deli meat slicer because making roast beef at home looks fun.  Mrs. DQ rolls her eyes at this and (understandably) thinks it will just be something we use once, and then will perpetually live in our basement.  Honestly, I think there's a good possibility of that too.

So we made a deal, I will make roast beef the old fashioned way (and slice it thin with a knife) five times.  If, after the 5th time, I still want a meat slicer, I will get it.  Do any of you Cats buy big hunks of meat and slice it into cuts yourselves?  Any other homemade roast beef heads in here?  Let's chat!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: May 30, 2023, 09:53:56 AM »
I've been getting into butcher tiktok lately, and got a hankering to buy a deli meat slicer because making roast beef at home looks fun.  Mrs. DQ rolls her eyes at this and (understandably) thinks it will just be something we use once, and then will perpetually live in our basement.  Honestly, I think there's a good possibility of that too.

So we made a deal, I will make roast beef the old fashioned way (and slice it thin with a knife) five times.  If, after the 5th time, I still want a meat slicer, I will get it.  Do any of you Cats buy big hunks of meat and slice it into cuts yourselves?  Any other homemade roast beef heads in here?  Let's chat!

Unless you are a knife sharpening wizard, I highly recommending putting the meat into the freezer until it is almost frozen to assist with the hand slicing/shaving.

When it comes time to buy a slicer, go the commercial route.  If new commercial is out of budget, look at restaurant auction sites and so on.  I have returned no less that 4 deli slicers purchased from box stores.  They are garbage.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: May 30, 2023, 10:27:31 AM »

Unless you are a knife sharpening wizard, I highly recommending putting the meat into the freezer until it is almost frozen to assist with the hand slicing/shaving.

When it comes time to buy a slicer, go the commercial route.  If new commercial is out of budget, look at restaurant auction sites and so on.  I have returned no less that 4 deli slicers purchased from box stores.  They are garbage.
TY for both pieces of advice.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: May 30, 2023, 11:57:10 AM »

I do this with steak when I'm making jerky and it makes all the difference.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: June 11, 2023, 04:52:27 PM »
Batch of home made ice cream to kick off family reunion season.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: June 12, 2023, 09:11:58 AM »
wow!
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: June 12, 2023, 09:26:56 AM »
hell yeah, those are some elite kansas flavors. Nothing better.

Is there salt in that ice?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: June 12, 2023, 09:41:59 AM »

Of course there is salt in that ice. How else would it work?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: June 12, 2023, 09:46:39 AM »

Of course there is salt in that ice. How else would it work?

No idea either way!

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: June 12, 2023, 09:51:14 AM »
Rock salt the hell out of that operation. Mrs 8 will learn where I dumped that in the yard in a couple weeks when the grass dies.

Tom

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: June 12, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
Thanks Tom, you have inspired me to make some homemade vanilla for my boys 3 year birthday party in a coupe weeks.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: June 12, 2023, 10:10:37 AM »
we use our NINJA CREAMI to make home made ice cream. Does it "technically count" as "legit home made ice cream?" I dunno, probably not, what do i look like a home made ice cream aficionado? But anyway its always ends up delicious. so, suck it haters.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: June 12, 2023, 10:17:42 AM »
FIL used to do a similar setup to toms but with a hand crank.  Cranking that beast would really put some hair on your chest.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: June 12, 2023, 10:18:33 AM »
Looks awesome. My folks always break out the White Mountain for our July 4 cookout. It is the hand-cranked version.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: June 12, 2023, 10:40:32 AM »
mods please update thread title to "cooking (for quakers)"

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: June 12, 2023, 10:50:08 AM »
FIL used to do a similar setup to toms but with a hand crank.  Cranking that beast would really put some hair on your chest.

Me and my siblings would take turns cranking our ice cream maker for our annual 4th of July party. good times
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: June 12, 2023, 11:00:22 AM »
Who remembers the homemade ice cream raw egg scare

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: June 12, 2023, 11:05:08 AM »
Rock salt the hell out of that operation. Mrs 8 will learn where I dumped that in the yard in a couple weeks when the grass dies.

Tom

:D

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: June 13, 2023, 07:33:30 AM »

Me and my siblings would take turns cranking our ice cream maker for our annual 4th of July party. good times
We always did the same! (As recently as July 4, 2022)
:adios:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: June 14, 2023, 08:37:08 AM »

TY for both pieces of advice.

Also, sous vide, rump roast/eye of round.

i do pretty well with those and a 12 in slicing knife that cost about 80$

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: June 18, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »
Chicken stir fry. Made the sauce with a habanero garlic olive oil, mango habanero vinegar and some worcestshire sauce. Add some diced jalapeños and cilantro and it has a really nice kick.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: June 22, 2023, 08:38:43 AM »
#breakfast

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: June 22, 2023, 08:45:06 AM »
#breakfast

Pro tip,

Cook the veggies seperately than the scrambled eggs and then add together on the plate

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: June 22, 2023, 10:14:51 PM »
proer tip- don’t cook the veggies at all and also don’t buy them

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.