Author Topic: cooking  (Read 284591 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #2625 on: December 13, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »
What are the pros and cons compared to cast iron?

Lifetime durability like cast iron but significantly better/smoother cooking surface.  Some claim it is the most “nonstick” material available and does not wear out like traditional nonstick pans.  Time will tell.

Can you forge them into high-carbon steel melee weapons in a Doomsday scenario, or would the seasoning process introduce impurities in the forge welding process that would cause delamination?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 13, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »
What are the pros and cons compared to cast iron?

Lifetime durability like cast iron but significantly better/smoother cooking surface.  Some claim it is the most “nonstick” material available and does not wear out like traditional nonstick pans.  Time will tell.

Can you forge them into high-carbon steel melee weapons in a Doomsday scenario, or would the seasoning process introduce impurities in the forge welding process that would cause delamination?

Me, nah.  Out of my skillset.  My buddy, possibly.  He is a blacksmith and I will make sure he is beside me in any doomsday scenario so we can get the answer to this.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 13, 2020, 05:09:19 PM »
you could probably just sharpen the edges to make a nice melee weapon, no need to reforge.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 13, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
Goat cheese & apple sandwich with prosciutto, caramelized onions, & arugula.

Sweet potato soup with hickory smoked maple croutons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: December 13, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »
When you need a quick bite to eat do you just whip up that ridiculous crap instead of like Kraft single and wonder bread grilled cheesers?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: December 13, 2020, 09:01:52 PM »
When you need a quick bite to eat do you just whip up that ridiculous crap instead of like Kraft single and wonder bread grilled cheesers?

Saturday or Sunday is generally my fun day in the kitchen.  I make a protein or a soup in enough quantity to eat until the next weekend.  So this week, yes, we will be reheating soup and having it with basic grilled cheese or hot ham & cheese, etc.  In the case of making a big protein, I try to make one that can be repurposed into tacos, sandwiches, pasta, etc. very easily.

I have fun and love cooking.  If I am going to be spending hours making a soup, I am gonna make a badass sandwich to go with it for the first meal on it.  Especially this year when we have eaten out at a restaurant a grand total of 4 time.  3 pre-covid and 1 this summer during the “covid ease.”

So short answer, I eat lots of quick bites that look nothing like this.  But I also like to prep ahead of time so my “quick meals” are not just wonder bread sandwiches.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: December 13, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »
Like, do you even know how good a goat cheese quesadilla dipped in this sweet potato soup is going to be?  Boom, 5 minute meal now that I have the soup & goat cheese and always have tortillas at the house.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 13, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
Treated myself to some new pans, set of 3 Misen Carbon Steel skillets that I have been seeing advertised all over the place.  They are beautiful, but be prepared to season.  Seasoning these took from 8am-2:30pm today nonstop.  That was all at the same time.

Maiden voyage is for sweet potato soup.  2 jumbo onions & a large pepper in the large pan, 2lbs carrots in the small pan.  So far, loving them.  Smooooooth surface, no-stick, tosses really well with great curve on the pan edges. 

Can not wait to see what else these bad boys can accomplish.

Make sure to updates on the pans. I’ve been wondering about these myself.

Also have you tried that gross thing where they blow on the egg?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 13, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
Treated myself to some new pans, set of 3 Misen Carbon Steel skillets that I have been seeing advertised all over the place.  They are beautiful, but be prepared to season.  Seasoning these took from 8am-2:30pm today nonstop.  That was all at the same time.

Maiden voyage is for sweet potato soup.  2 jumbo onions & a large pepper in the large pan, 2lbs carrots in the small pan.  So far, loving them.  Smooooooth surface, no-stick, tosses really well with great curve on the pan edges. 

Can not wait to see what else these bad boys can accomplish.

Make sure to updates on the pans. I’ve been wondering about these myself.

Also have you tried that gross thing where they blow on the egg?

Thus far, love them.  Oil just rolls in them, along with everything you put in after. 

The care for them is easy it appears, once seasoned.  Warm soapy water, rinse, dry on low heat, rub down with oil.  Same thing as you do with a seasoned cast iron.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: December 13, 2020, 09:22:53 PM »
Oh, and no egg blowing.  I do not even what that is and am terrified to google it.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: December 13, 2020, 09:47:55 PM »
P sure I live about 3 miles away from AST, and yet he's never invited me over for brunch  :blank:

:Wha:

Come over for a beer right now no cap.  Play your cards right and we will be brunching in no time.

White Rock area, right? I'm near SMU. Here in a few months I will gladly take you up on that offer.
I’m in.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 14, 2020, 12:41:07 AM »
Oh, and no egg blowing.  I do not even what that is and am terrified to google it.
No prob. I’ll do it for you.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/629800329126625032/

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 14, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »
No prob. I’ll do it for you.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/629800329126625032/

That looks like their actual nonstick pan.  They have stainless, nonstick, & carbon steel. 

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: December 14, 2020, 07:46:29 AM »
I don't want my eggs blown on.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 14, 2020, 07:53:58 AM »
Like, do you even know how good a goat cheese quesadilla dipped in this sweet potato soup is going to be?  Boom, 5 minute meal now that I have the soup & goat cheese and always have tortillas at the house.

yes, I know it. and it makes me mad as hell.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: December 14, 2020, 08:00:18 AM »

yes, I know it. and it makes me mad as hell.

Recipe is super easy.  I doubled it to last the week.  You could substitute butternut squash for sweet potato as well.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a44437/cinnamon-spiced-sweet-potato-soup-maple-croutons-recipe/

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 14, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
i have made sweet potato soup a few times this fall. it completely rules

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 14, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
Made fried chicken and waffles last night. I cheated on the waffles because we have 7000 egos from Costco and I didn't want to clean up more dishes. Normally don't eat fried things as we are pretty healthy, but it turned out ok. My kids were like WTF is this crap since I normally smoke the chicken we have. Nice and crispy though. Def not worth the effort, but it was fun doing something a bit different.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 14, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »
Fried chicken night at my house is a big deal after all the vegetarian bullshit and also I make very good fried chicken. Like it'll be hard to order it at a restaurant outside of places known exclusively for their really good chicken because mine will be better

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 14, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
Fried chicken night at my house is a big deal after all the vegetarian bullshit and also I make very good fried chicken. Like it'll be hard to order it at a restaurant outside of places known exclusively for their really good chicken because mine will be better

Any fried chicken pro-tips?

I've done the Momofuku recipe and had the best success with that.  Usually I just hate making fried chicken because I end up with a god awful mess.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 14, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »

Any fried chicken pro-tips?

I've done the Momofuku recipe and had the best success with that.  Usually I just hate making fried chicken because I end up with a god awful mess.

Salt the chicken the day before and keep a close eye on the oil temperature - it needs to get to 365 or a little higher before you do anything and I adjust the temperature while they cook because I have a shitty stove. I also add a little Crystal's hot sauce to the egg mix. (I use Samin Nosrat's recipe as a starting point because duh)

And I've had success using a Dutch oven instead of a skillet to make a little less of a mess (and also I can cook more pieces at once).

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 14, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »

Yeah, after doing it one time I feel like you could really lock down a great spice/flavor combo and make it consistently good. We just don't eat much fried food at all so it was like whatever. Not worth dealing with the oil and 17 bowls to clean for us, I guess.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 14, 2020, 10:58:27 AM »

I did my best to recreate The Dang Quesadilla from The Chef in mhk. It was pretty good, still not as good the OG.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 14, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »

I did my best to recreate The Dang Quesadilla from The Chef in mhk. It was pretty good, still not as good the OG.

I’d smash that 10/10 times it was presented to me.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 14, 2020, 06:03:32 PM »
Goat cheese & baby bella quesadillas to help me attack the big pot of
 soup this evening.