Author Topic: cooking  (Read 279211 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #1525 on: January 15, 2017, 09:23:38 PM »
Love me some cast iron steaks.  It looks pretty good though, I think the camera betrays it a bit. 

What temp are you warming your pan to?  I usually smoke the crap out of my olive oil.  I also heavily salt and pepper mine for a bit more crust./cheating
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 15, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
Also has anyone used a sous vide method for their meat?  I think it's evil sorcery to cook meat without fire, but some like it for its juiciness and tenderness.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

The Big Train

« Reply #1527 on: January 15, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
Cast iron skillets are awesome, I always have to remember to clean/dry it tho so it doesn't rust

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 15, 2017, 09:28:12 PM »
Cast iron skillets are awesome, I always have to remember to clean/dry it tho so it doesn't rust
Hows your seasoning?  Mine doesn't rust, but doesn't look as fresh if I forget to dry it.  I usually scrub clean (hot water and brush) and wipe out about a half dollar sized nip of olive oil for storage. 

The Big Train

« Reply #1529 on: January 15, 2017, 09:33:04 PM »
Hows your seasoning?  Mine doesn't rust, but doesn't look as fresh if I forget to dry it.  I usually scrub clean (hot water and brush) and wipe out about a half dollar sized nip of olive oil for storage.

Probably not as good as it should be.  I should probably bake mine more but I hate cleaning up after I cook anyways. 

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »
Love me some cast iron steaks.  It looks pretty good though, I think the camera betrays it a bit. 

What temp are you warming your pan to?  I usually smoke the crap out of my olive oil.  I also heavily salt and pepper mine for a bit more crust./cheating
I don't know the temp per se, but at a 6.5 on the dial.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 15, 2017, 09:35:31 PM »
I never clean mine. Just wipe out excess grease. :dunno:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 15, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »

I don't know the temp per se, but at a 6.5 on the dial.

Are you just pan searing it and finishing on top or are you finishing in the oven?

I like to preheat mine in the oven to 450.  Pull, about 2 minutes on a side or until it easily releases. I usually like mine medium to medium well so I'll put it back in the 450 oven to finish with about 5 minutes or so. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: January 15, 2017, 09:38:33 PM »
Wash it, put it on high heat w a little veg oil in it.  Heat until oils starts to smoke.  Kill heat, paper towels wipe oil to spread it over entire cook surface, then another to wipe out all excess oil.  Cool and put away.

Also, stop using olive oil for high heat cooks.  Smokes at too low of a temp and breaks.   Use coconut oil or something.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 15, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »
Nope. Just straight up heat to a see a few bubbles. Insert steak. Cook for a couple minutes, flip, couple minutes, pull

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: January 15, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Wash it, put it on high heat w a little veg oil in it.  Heat until oils starts to smoke.  Kill heat, paper towels wipe oil to spread it over entire cook surface, then another to wipe out all excess oil.  Cool and put away.

Also, stop using olive oil for high heat cooks.  Smokes at too low of a temp and breaks.   Use coconut oil or something.
I don't ever have a smoking issue?

The Big Train

« Reply #1536 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
You guys are making me hungry

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 15, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »
Gotcha.  You are cooking pretty low, then.

Try this:
Season steak and set on counter for 30min or so.  Then put it on a cookie sheet in the oven at 250° or so for about 10 min, until internal temp is 90deg.  While it's warming, get that cast iron stupid hot on high, then right as you see 90deg, put it in the skillet for a min or two per side until you see 125-130deg internal. 

Super delish.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 15, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

throws shade on oil game, suggests oil with lower smoke piont  :blank:

:cool: all good, do you work with many types of oils?  I just use EVOO because it's handy and it smokes, but I can deal with it.  I'd be open to suggestions if you have any (aside from coconut ;) ). 

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 15, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
I'll give that a shot. Dry skillet?

Thanks for the advice.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
I use a small amt of coconut oil and a tablespoon of butter with a smashed clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme.  Just hot as crap.  Open windows and put a fan pointing at your smoke detector.

I for real am pricing how much a legit hood would cost over the stove.  Not that bullshit thing your microwave does as a vent, but a real hood.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: January 15, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »
You can do the same thing but use a hot gas grill instead of the cast iron skillet.  Still very juicy and super tender. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »
Or you could preheat, used a refined or light olive oil, heat the skillet to 450, sear on each side, and oven it for 3 to 4 minutes and be done in 6-8 total minutes.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
I use a small amt of coconut oil and a tablespoon of butter with a smashed clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme.  Just hot as crap.  Open windows and put a fan pointing at your smoke detector.

I for real am pricing how much a legit hood would cost over the stove.  Not that bullshit thing your microwave does as a vent, but a real hood.
Hahaha yeah. I never understood the point of moving crap 6 inches higher. If you own your own home, it's not hard at all to do, I suggest you do it. When I worked hvac on new homes, we always sent that crap outside.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »
I'm not using cheap ass olive oil ftr.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: January 15, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
Can someone explain the point of the baking? I'm happy with the skillet only.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: January 15, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
And I'll try coconut oil next time I shop

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: January 15, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
I haven't studied up myself, but America's Test Kitchen, Milk Street Radio, sporkfull, etc all say to not use olive oil for high temp cooking due to smoke point.  Not that it smokes too much, but smoke point is the temp your oil breaks.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
I'm not using cheap ass olive oil ftr.

Up yo brands son!  Probably some fake ass oil in your pantry (actually a huge issue).

And the point of baking is to get nice even heat to finish the steak.  It's easier to control and nice and predictable for longer cook times to get medium well and well done. 

And make sure you don't use the wrong oil for your application.  Seriously coconut has a much lower smoke point then EVOO and will be much closer to the temps you're talking about.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »
Makes perfect sense. I don't know rhe science off hand, but given my rudimentary chemical knowledge, I get it.