Author Topic: Facts about Topeka  (Read 120404 times)

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
Re: Facts about Topeka
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »
Fact: Topeka was renamed GoogleTopikachu August 27th, 1998 in honor of the popular cartoon/video game Pokemon.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1998_August_27/ai_21064833/

+

gotta love a city that has Cargill as part of its skyline.

Offline get_HIT

• Combo-Fan
  • "I just love the Jayhawk...It should be killed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
Fact: The only Qdoba in the State of Kansas is located in Topeka.

ate there saturday night on my way back to manhattan  :pbj: , luckily that's as far into that sh!thole town i got.
"He was in the group of about four or five troll K-State fans who were celebrating like they had just won a national title." -BMW on get_HIT

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
FACT: Terrible HS athletics.

My senior year of high school, our men's basketball team one only a single game.  That game was against the Manhattan High Indians.   :eye:

:surprised:

Manhattan has terrific HS athletics. That's a great win.

Beat Manhattan to play in state football playoffs. 

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2010, 01:59:45 PM »
We need to have an elite goEMAW dinner party here at some point:

http://rowhouserestaurant.net/

I was concerned when it didn't show up on your restaurant picks but then I didn't really see a category for it.  If you haven't been there yet Saul, you're doing yourself a disservice

Doesn't seem like you are eating in Topeka.  that is a good thing.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Saul: Via's Pizza at 21st and Urish is amazing.  Esp. if you enjoy Glory Days :love:

FACTS:

Lake Sherwood FTW in the Topeka lake category.

The Shack for its fried appetizers. 

I used to count money from Sasnak when I was a bank teller in HS.  :shy:

Fred Phelps is a great national icon for Topeka.

Caberta USA/Club Orleans is a great attraction in my neighborhood.

If the one Topeka bar you would go into is Bullfrogs Live you are not a credible source for Topeka nightlife in my book.

HS Athletics were pretty poor for Topeka on the state scale, but really only in the two biggest ones: football and basketball. Other sports fared well, FWIW.

The Topeka Zoo is World Famous

Like Saul reference long ago, my parents will often refer to the Wal-Mart on Wanamaker as HYPERMART :love:

Hunam's Chinese is indeed fantastic.

I for one really enjoy Cook's American Grill on Gage Blvd. as a great place to enjoy a burger! <--Try it out you will not be disappointed.

Also, I have eaten at a Pawn Shop somewhere just East of Downtown. Harold's Prize Package possibly?

And Saul had reason to brag about Qdoba's coupons.  When I was last home, my mother got about $8 of free food for being a frequent customer! Fantastic.

/Topeka knowledge on my brain right now.

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
My favorite Topeka lake?  Sherwood Lake.

:love:

BTW, it's Lake Sherwood you idiots. 

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
The Plantation Steakhouse deserves to be mentioned as a candidate for most unusual dinning experience in Topeka.  You can get a private room.   :fatty:

Worked there for one week in 9th grade.   :gocho:

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Cook's American Grill also has boxes of old Trivial Pursuit cards for your entertainment while you wait for your order.  Quite entertaining.

Also, the week long Mexican Fiesta held every summer has some great food!

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »
Saul: Via's Pizza at 21st and Urish is amazing.  Esp. if you enjoy Glory Days :love:

FACTS:

If the one Topeka bar you would go into is Bullfrogs Live you are not a credible source for Topeka nightlife in my book.

HS Athletics were pretty poor for Topeka on the state scale, but really only in the two biggest ones: football and basketball. Other sports fared well, FWIW.

Like Saul reference long ago, my parents will often refer to the Wal-Mart on Wanamaker as HYPERMART :love:

I for one really enjoy Cook's American Grill on Gage Blvd. as a great place to enjoy a burger! <--Try it out you will not be disappointed.

Also, I have eaten at a Pawn Shop somewhere just East of Downtown. Harold's Prize Package possibly?

And Saul had reason to brag about Qdoba's coupons.  When I was last home, my mother got about $8 of free food for being a frequent customer! Fantastic.

Via's is at 8th and Gage
Prize Package is great.  Go before 2 though.

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
FACT: City code prohibits any buildings from being built taller than the Capitol Building.

Offline KSU176

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »

Wasnt that Wal-Mart one of the first Hypermarts/Super-Walmarts in the nation?

Offline KSU176

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »
FACT: City code prohibits any buildings from being built taller than the Capitol Building.
Isn't the Bank of America building taller than the Captiol building?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »

Wasnt that Wal-Mart one of the first Hypermarts/Super-Walmarts in the nation?
Yes.  The 3rd, to be precise.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »

FACTS:

Topeka bar's are awful.  Sorry bro.  It's the one of the few things this town lacks.  I'm cool w/ just going to Old Chicago to work on my world beer tour.

LaRocca's Pizza is at 21st and Urish. It's fairly new, however they did have a LaRocca's Italian Restaurant at the hotel on South Topeka Blvd.  It used to be an Indian restaurant, and the Down Under Lounge.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »

I'll pay a bounty to anyone who can tell me where to get the exact same enchiladas (EXACT) that they serve at the Mexican Fiesta in the greater KC area.  Also love the Tamales.  My family always had the hook up on tamales, we were friendly with the vibrant Topeka Latin community even though we are honkies.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »
Isn't the Bank of America building taller than the Captiol building?
Not sure, but they have a great restaurant at the top of the tower..named, "Top of the Tower."  Excellent Steak Diane. :cool:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »
Cook's American Grill also has boxes of old Trivial Pursuit cards for your entertainment while you wait for your order.  Quite entertaining.

I'm a fan of Cook's.  Never thought their burgers were awesome or anything but you can get a cheap meal there.  They have very good carrot cake.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »

That's my neighborhood.

:surprised:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
So glad I stumbled onto this thread.  Makes me actually think fondly of my hometown.

Spent this last weekend there for father's day.  Spent the prior Sunday at the Lake Shawnee Ski Club.  Wonderful times.

Was totally floored when I drove down tenth street a couple of months ago and saw Buddy's was no longer there.  A part of me died inside.  Totally agree on the comments about Annie's Place and the Pad.  Awesome places for a burger.

Everyone has totally passed on the fact that there's an albino lady that walks around Rochester Cemetery at night.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
Burnett is not actually buried on Burnetts Mound. :surprised:

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »
I pulled the fire alarm at your graduation if you graduated from Topeka High in 1987 or 1988. Not sure which year.

Offline Dooley

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »
So glad I stumbled onto this thread.  Makes me actually think fondly of my hometown.

Spent this last weekend there for father's day.  Spent the prior Sunday at the Lake Shawnee Ski Club.  Wonderful times.

Was totally floored when I drove down tenth street a couple of months ago and saw Buddy's was no longer there.  A part of me died inside.  Totally agree on the comments about Annie's Place and the Pad.  Awesome places for a burger.

Everyone has totally passed on the fact that there's an albino lady that walks around Rochester Cemetery at night.

I had the same experience driving by the old Buddy's the other day.  Luckily, the Pad, a first cousin of Buddy's is still open.

I must have spent minutes sitting in Rochester Cemetery wait for the albino lady.  No such luck.  I was once successfully stole a Napa hat off a truck in Topeka.  I was unsuccessful at stealing the Roy Fry Horse.  It's higher than you think.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

I had the same experience driving by the old Buddy's the other day.  Luckily, the Pad, a first cousin of Buddy's is still open.

I must have spent minutes sitting in Rochester Cemetery wait for the albino lady.  No such luck.  I was once successfully stole a Napa hat off a truck in Topeka.  I was unsuccessful at stealing the Roy Fry Horse.  It's higher than you think.

Sounds like a scavenger hunt...   :peek:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
My favorite Topeka lake?  Sherwood Lake.

:love:

BTW, it's Lake Sherwood you idiots. 
take it up with google, dumbass.  also, i think its real name is sherwood lake, but everyone calls it lake sherwood.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »

fun fact:  Mikeyis4dcats built the glass addition on the front of Buddy's years ago....