Author Topic: Facts about Topeka  (Read 118847 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Facts about Topeka
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
Best Burger in town at a sit down restaurant is Annies, as Saul points out.  Best fast food burger is currently the Pad Burger, but used to be the Buddy Burger.

Fact:  The Pad (elite North Topeka fast food burger joint) is owned by the same family that owned Buddy's  (previously located on 10th street across from the hospitals), but after Buddy's was taken over by their son (a would-be heavy weight boxing contender, Dangerous Damon Reed), it folded. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
The Plantation Steakhouse deserves to be mentioned as a candidate for most unusual dinning experience in Topeka.  You can get a private room.   :fatty:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »
The Plantation Steakhouse deserves to be mentioned as a candidate for most unusual dinning experience in Topeka.  You can get a private room.   :fatty:

You can get a "private room" which consists of a booth with a sliding door on it in a musty, run down restaurant.  You then ring a doorbell and are served a lousy steak (but excellent onion rings).

Plantation used to be good, I guess, but I wasn't around for that.

The reason they had the private rooms is back when we were dry. Northstar did the same thing with its "club" membership.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
Best Burger in town at a sit down restaurant is Annies, as Saul points out.  Best fast food burger is currently the Pad Burger, but used to be the Buddy Burger.

Fact:  The Pad (elite North Topeka fast food burger joint) is owned by the same family that owned Buddy's  (previously located on 10th street across from the hospitals), but after Buddy's was taken over by their son (a would-be heavy weight boxing contender, Dangerous Damon Reed), it folded. 

Buddy's served RC Cola!   

Now they are a fast food Mexican restaurant named "Andale!" - I haven't tried it yet.

Pad is still around in N. Topeka.  They had a location at 21st and Washburn for awhile but folded. 
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
FACT:  Felini's frozen pizza was owned by the same Topeka family that owned Champions BBQ, and who held the patent for the majority of pickled eggs in the Midwest, including Wetta pickled eggs (served in the Aggie Lounge of Aggieville fame).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »
Also, spent a couple nice 4ths of July water-skiing on Lake Sherwood.

same with me GOSP, same with me.  fun lake to ski on.
At one time there was a great strip club on the city's west side called Caberet USA.  I may or may not have picked up a stripper and put her over my shoulder and began carrying her out one fourth of July around 2pm after drinking approx 30 or so scotches.  

Back in "the day" I was asst manager/bartender at Cabaret USA II in Emporia.  The "sister" club of Cabaret USA.  As an "Ass. Man." I drank for free and got to have all kinds of fun with nasty hussies up in Topeka.  I always ended up @ baby dolls though. It had more talent at that time.
i always thought the talent was better at CUSA then at BDolls.  this was around the year 1997.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »

Buddy's served RC Cola!   

Now they are a fast food Mexican restaurant named "Andale!" - I haven't tried it yet.

Pad is still around in N. Topeka.  They had a location at 21st and Washburn for awhile but folded. 

Pretty sure there is still a Pad out by aunt's house.  I think one or two of my cousins worked there when they were younger.  Still have never eaten there, as far as I know.  

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »

At one time there was a great strip club on the city's west side called Caberet USA.  I may or may not have picked up a stripper and put her over my shoulder and began carrying her out one fourth of July around 2pm after drinking approx 30 or so scotches.  

Back in "the day" I was asst manager/bartender at Cabaret USA II in Emporia.  The "sister" club of Cabaret USA.  As an "Ass. Man." I drank for free and got to have all kinds of fun with nasty hussies up in Topeka.  I always ended up @ baby dolls though. It had more talent at that time.
i always thought the talent was better at CUSA then at BDolls.  this was around the year 1997.

FACT:  I lived in the same neighborhood, and went to same grade school through highschool with a BDolls dancer by the stage name of "Mary Jane" who would have been dancing in 1997. 

Offline Perry

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »

Best friend is a waiter there (never been myself though)
Haven't been around Topeka much since I was in elementary school, thread makes me miss it a lot to be honest.

Used to shop at Falley's a lot because it was closer than Dillon's. Those grocery stores still around? Don't remember anything special about it.

Fries with gravy waiting for the burger @ Annie's place always made me happy, great place to eat.

Still feels weird to see the big statue on top of the capital building when driving past, most of the time I was there it didn't exist.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »

FACT:  I lived in the same neighborhood, and went to same grade school through highschool with a BDolls dancer by the stage name of "Mary Jane" who would have been dancing in 1997.  
you lucky sob.  

topeka sportsbars, go!    bullfrogs  

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »

FACT:  I lived in the same neighborhood, and went to same grade school through highschool with a BDolls dancer by the stage name of "Mary Jane" who would have been dancing in 1997.  
you lucky sob.  

topeka sportsbars, go!    bullfrogs  

The Goose (original).

Reeds (Dangerous Damon's spot at 46th and I-75)

Spankys

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
Boss Hawgs BBQ was great, before the dude died.  I'd put old Boss Hawgs up against most places in KC and it would go a full 12-round decision match.  

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
FACT: Scariest looking chineese place outside of a legitimate "Chinatown" district in a big city resides in Topeka.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
Thoughts on the Flying V?  Personally I love the place. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
Christ, I knew Pete was going to be all over this thread.

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »
FACT: Scariest looking chineese place outside of a legitimate "Chinatown" district in a big city resides in Topeka.

Indeed, i often ponder of eating there, but never do.  It just looks disgusting.  However, i have heard that it isn't bad... if you enjoy sitting on the crapper for 3 hours after your meal.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »

Indeed, i often ponder of eating there, but never do.  It just looks disgusting.  However, i have heard that it isn't bad... if you enjoy sitting on the crapper for 3 hours after your meal.
come the f*ck on linux, man up and grab some carryout from Golden Dynasty tonight. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
you lucky sob. 

topeka sportsbars, go!    bullfrogs 

The Goose (original).

Reeds (Dangerous Damon's spot at 46th and I-75)

Spankys

Skinny's, but only for lunch. NOT for a bar scene.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »

I was operating in that circle from 1996 t0 1999.  I was dating an "entertainer" that worked at Cabaret in Topeka on the weekends.  She was high quality stock.  I was relegated to weeknight visits because I worked weekends in E town.  You probably got a lap dance from my girlfriend.  :angry:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »
So, its safe to assume it burns when you pee?

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
Fact: The only Qdoba in the State of Kansas is located in Topeka.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »
FACT: Terrible HS athletics.

Offline Lamesauce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
The phrase "WWJD" originated in Topeka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_would_Jesus_do%3F

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
Fact: The only Qdoba in the State of Kansas is located in Topeka.

FACT:  Saul was bragging about using a coupon to eat there on Friday night.  Was really condescending to everyone about it too, "Oh, do you guys ever get Qdoba coupons or am I better than you" kind of thing.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
FACT: Terrible HS athletics.

My senior year of high school, our men's basketball team one only a single game.  That game was against the Manhattan High Indians.   :eye: