Author Topic: Facts about Topeka  (Read 120394 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Facts about Topeka
« Reply #475 on: August 29, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
eff, that list is amazingly horrible. Topekans love the crap out of chain restaurants and all things mass media delivered.  It is one of the very, very worst towns in America.

I was born and raised there. I am a survivor.

I was gonna say this too. If your town's favorite burger is from a massive corporate chain than someone needs to open a new burger place.

They wouldn't go there if you did.
"The Burger Stand" is doing a pretty good business. It's partially owned by Doug Compton so I wouldn't be surprised to see a KU bball player parent managing the place.

Unfortunately they don't have the staff to fill out hundreds of ballots during downtime.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 29, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »
Hey, you can all shut your faces about North Topeka and Seaman High School. I barely escaped that crap-hole with my life, but that doesn't mean you can talk bad about it.

I can talk bad about it.  I've done 100mph on 46th street on the way to/from school more times than I can count.  There's probably a rough ridin' monument at the State Lake dedicated to my truck.  If you an't from the West Indianianola district get your ass out the West Inidanola district.  :gocho:

Dude, remember when Hunter's Ridge was just a cow field?  Whoa.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »
BEST SWEET TREAT SHOPPE in Topeka, KS according to the 2012 Topeka Capitol Journal Reader survey:

1. Billy Vanilly

2. Baker’s Dozen Donuts

3. Hazel Hill Chocolate Traditions

4. Hy-Vee Food Store Bakery

5. Panera Bread

BV is dogshit.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 29, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »
For the love of God; please, please tell me this Boss Hawgs thing was an actual thing!
:pray:

It is.   And they've got a sports bar side called Pigskins that someone here may have built.   :peek:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
eff, that list is amazingly horrible. Topekans love the crap out of chain restaurants and all things mass media delivered.  It is one of the very, very worst towns in America.

I was born and raised there. I am a survivor.

I was gonna say this too. If your town's favorite burger is from a massive corporate chain than someone needs to open a new burger place.

They wouldn't go there if you did.
"The Burger Stand" is doing a pretty good business. It's partially owned by Doug Compton so I wouldn't be surprised to see a KU bball player parent managing the place.

Unfortunately they don't have the staff to fill out hundreds of ballots during downtime.

I've  heard good things about The Burger Stand. Really want to try it out.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 69mach351

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 29, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
Topekan checking in here...

Topeka is a Wal-mart community happy with chains and it pisses me off.  I would move, but my wife and I (both undergrads from KSTATE) both have good jobs here.  Anything good coming to the area, originates in KC, Manhattan, or Lawrence, and then branches to Topeka.  If you are in the area, I recommend the following.

The burger stand here is very good.  I will say that the one in Lawrence is a bit better (they seem to cook their burgers better and they have more sauces for their fries).  They have a good selection of beer.  I would recommend the Kobe burger (comes with truffle butter) and the truffle fries.

The Blind Tiger makes some of the best beer I have had, bar none.  If you are in the area, give it a try.  It is right off of 37th and Kansas ave.  They make some great burnt ends too.  IMO, Boss Hawgs is complete garbage in comparison to Blind Tiger and Grovers.  Grovers is a less sweet BBQ.

As far as other places, Paisanos for Italian is good.  El Mezcal is probably on the better end for Mexican.  Tuesday/Thurs/Saturday, they have 0.99 margaritas.  Their white cheese dip is pretty dang good.

There are some other decent places, but these are where we like to eat when we go out.  It took all of a few months to get tired of chains.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Topeka is a Wal-mart community happy with chains and it pisses me off.  I would move, but my wife and I (both undergrads from KSTATE) both have good jobs here.  Anything good coming to the area, originates in KC, Manhattan, or Lawrence, and then branches to Topeka.  If you are in the area, I recommend the following.

The burger stand here is very good.  I will say that the one in Lawrence is a bit better (they seem to cook their burgers better and they have more sauces for their fries).  They have a good selection of beer.  I would recommend the Kobe burger (comes with truffle butter) and the truffle fries.

The Blind Tiger makes some of the best beer I have had, bar none.  If you are in the area, give it a try.  It is right off of 37th and Kansas ave.  They make some great burnt ends too.  IMO, Boss Hawgs is complete garbage in comparison to Blind Tiger and Grovers.  Grovers is a less sweet BBQ.

As far as other places, Paisanos for Italian is good.  El Mezcal is probably on the better end for Mexican.  Tuesday/Thurs/Saturday, they have 0.99 margaritas.  Their white cheese dip is pretty dang good.

There are some other decent places, but these are where we like to eat when we go out.  It took all of a few months to get tired of chains.

sorry, but anyone who think's Grovers is good has lost their mind.   The burnt ends at Blind Tiger can be great, but just as often as not they are tough and fatty.  El Mezcal also sucks (go to Los Charros instead).

Offline 69mach351

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 29, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »

sorry, but anyone who think's Grovers is good has lost their mind.   The burnt ends at Blind Tiger can be great, but just as often as not they are tough and fatty.  El Mezcal also sucks (go to Los Charros instead).
Grovers is definitely a different style of BBQ than you will find most places in the midwest.   It is a lot more of a vinegar than a sweet BBQ.  Most people really like it or really dislike it.  Take your pick.  They have been in business for decades and stay busy.  I don't think that is a sign of bad food...though it is Topeka and I don't have a lot of faith in this community  :lol:

I will try Los Charros, but I will not say EM sucks.  EM is far better than any chains, and most other mexican joints I have tried around town.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
Jesus Christ you rubes are arguing about Mexican food.  Don't you have a La Hacienda?
:adios:

Offline 69mach351

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
Jesus Christ you rubes are arguing about Mexican food.  Don't you have a La Hacienda?
Hey...its topeka.  Not a lot going on here.  We'll be lucky if this doesn't turn into a Hatfield/McCoy part II.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
Our Thai/Vietnamese/Indian places are the tits.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 29, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »

I assume they would have to be to stay in business in a place like Topeka

Offline 69mach351

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
Tuptim thai is excellent.  I would go more, but the wife doesn't like it.  She also doesn't like when I tell her to just eat Taco bell across the street.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 29, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

agreed.   reminds me I want some Saigon Rangoon ASAP.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »

Grovers is definitely a different style of BBQ than you will find most places in the midwest.   It is a lot more of a vinegar than a sweet BBQ.  Most people really like it or really dislike it.  Take your pick.  They have been in business for decades and stay busy.  I don't think that is a sign of bad food...though it is Topeka and I don't have a lot of faith in this community  :lol:

I will try Los Charros, but I will not say EM sucks.  EM is far better than any chains, and most other mexican joints I have tried around town.

Roll to El Sol and then run your mouths.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 29, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »

Man, you are a hayseed.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 29, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
Hey, you can all shut your faces about North Topeka and Seaman High School. I barely escaped that crap-hole with my life, but that doesn't mean you can talk bad about it.

I can talk bad about it.  I've done 100mph on 46th street on the way to/from school more times than I can count.  There's probably a rough ridin' monument at the State Lake dedicated to my truck.  If you an't from the West Indianianola district get your ass out the West Inidanola district.  :gocho:

I dated a girl that lived a block from WI. Very odd people out there.

And lol at the rubes that took 46th to rochester road and waited 10 minutes at the stop sign.  Green hills road to 51st was the elite route.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 29, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »
And lol at the rubes that took 46th to rochester road and waited 10 minutes at the stop sign.  Green hills road to 51st was the elite route.

That would be 50th, not 51st, but it is way better than taking 46th all the way to Rochester.

Slushies at Petro Deli, sometimes I miss them.

Offline 69mach351

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

That would be 50th, not 51st, but it is way better than taking 46th all the way to Rochester.

Slushies at Petro Deli, sometimes I miss them.
Petro has got to be one of the worst gas stations I have ever set foot in.  If you go in, you will smell like frying grease the rest of the day.  It is fitting if you see their large display of fried stuff I guess.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 29, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »

Roll to El Sol and then run your mouths.

I can't eat El Sol since the day I finished my tacos and found the dead fly in the bottom of the basket.   I do love me some Tacos El Mex though....(same food)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »

Man, you are a hayseed.

that's me.

enjoy your Vista and Old Chicago...

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 29, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
Lol, at expecting a gas station in North Topeka to smell like anything other than fried food and other assorted white trash scents.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

Man, you are a hayseed.

that's me.

I always enjoy Saigon. I usually get the Pho. I get a kick out of all the hayseeds sitting around us ordering rangoon, sweet and sour chicken, etc.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

Man, you are a hayseed.

that's me.

I always enjoy Saigon. I usually get the Pho. I get a kick out of all the hayseeds sitting around us ordering rangoon, sweet and sour chicken, etc.

I order viet, but I love crab rangoon, and even better when made with sriracha like they do.