Author Topic: Facts about Topeka  (Read 120076 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Facts about Topeka
« Reply #750 on: July 27, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
Noticed on the way to work this morning that Club Orleans/Baby Dolls/whatever is now going to be called I 70 Main Event.  I wish them many months of success!!

Okay I noticed yesterday this place is now called Breakers, which is a sports bar/pool hall type of establishment.  Are they still going to have strippers?  And if so can they become the ultimate one stop shop for when you have a hankerin' for some 9 ball AND a lap dance?  Only time will tell.

I don't think so.  Isn't Breakers what used to be where Baker's Dozen is on 21st?   

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 27, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »
Wish I would've found this thread 4 months ago.  After skimming through I've seen some restaurant suggestions, but then it sounds like half are closed down.  I've eaten at a few mexican restaurants since moving here.  All suck.  We don't eat out very often, but i was hoping to find a good chinese place.  Sounds like I'll have to try hunams if it still exists.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 27, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
It does on 29th. I enjoy it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
Is it embarrassing that Topeka sucks so bad or does Topeka appropriately represent its state?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 27, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Which Mexican places have you been to hE?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 27, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »
go to texas roadhouse, you won't be disappointed (seriously)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 27, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »
go to texas roadhouse, you won't be disappointed (seriously)
Mmm had a very lesbian averse waitress there once. Dropping dyke bombs at the table forever sullied that fine establishment in my eyes.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »
Is it embarrassing that Topeka sucks so bad or does Topeka appropriately represent its state?
What cities and/or towns do you hold in high esteem in KS?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 27, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
for mexican food i recommend taco johns

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
Manhattan

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
Manhattan
I agree. I think most every other town is not much different than Topeka. Topeka just happens to be the capital.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 27, 2017, 09:05:22 PM »
I've been to 3 or 4 mexican joints downtown where i work (all for work related lunches)  i think mezcal, pepe and chelas, arturos, can't remember the other.  I'd guess mezcal was probably the best of the group.  Another place on fairlawn and 29th-ish?  Recommended to my wife by a girl she met. Overcrowded and typical uninspired tex-mex.  My wife also got some food from a 24 hr taco joint.  Don't know the name, but it was certified dog food I think.

I laugh at the taco johns recommendation, but so far it's probably close to the top.

As for steak or burgers, I'd rather cook them on my grill.

I am excited to hear the chinese place is open though.  Will definitely check out

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 27, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
I've been to 3 or 4 mexican joints downtown where i work (all for work related lunches)  i think mezcal, pepe and chelas, arturos, can't remember the other.  I'd guess mezcal was probably the best of the group.  Another place on fairlawn and 29th-ish?  Recommended to my wife by a girl she met. Overcrowded and typical uninspired tex-mex.  My wife also got some food from a 24 hr taco joint.  Don't know the name, but it was certified dog food I think.

I laugh at the taco johns recommendation, but so far it's probably close to the top.

I am excited to hear the chinese place is open though.  Will definitely check out
The older lady at the front, I forget her name, is a delight.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 27, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
My friend, Pedro, posted something about a Fuzzys Taco opening soon.

Tortilla Jacks!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 27, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »

Pop over to El Sol on 6th over lunch on a weekday and see what you think.   

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:14 PM »
ww, that place is great. A coworker used to bring me stuff from there and it was always delicious

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 28, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »

TJ no mas aqui en Topeka.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 28, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
Wish I would've found this thread 4 months ago.  After skimming through I've seen some restaurant suggestions, but then it sounds like half are closed down.  I've eaten at a few mexican restaurants since moving here.  All suck.  We don't eat out very often, but i was hoping to find a good chinese place.  Sounds like I'll have to try hunams if it still exists.

Hunam still going strong, still best in town.

Where have you been for Mexican?   Tacos El Mexicano is the best/most authentic.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 28, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »

Hunam still going strong, still best in town.

Where have you been for Mexican?   Tacos El Mexicano is the best/most authentic.

Forgot about that joint.  It is v good.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 28, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »

so you've had Luptias (my guess), El Mez, Pepe & Cheals, Arturos,and El Ranchito.   All suck.   The 24hr joint would be Panchos or Mexican Taco Shop.   Similar menus, but the food at MTS is slightly better.   But it's mostly quantity/drunk food.  The Margarita's Jalisco on 17th is decent, as is Amigos on Wanamaker.   Our fav used to be Los Charros in Gage Center, but haven't been in over a year.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 28, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »

The older lady at the front, I forget her name, is a delight.

Mabel

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 28, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »

Pop over to El Sol on 6th over lunch on a weekday and see what you think.

El Sol used to be my go to, but after finding a dead fly in the bottom of my chip basket, I started driving a little farther to the sister's place on California , Tacos El Mexicano.    Better food, no flies.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 28, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 28, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Will def hit up those spots.  Only thing left on my list is to find a spot to watch the cats roadies.  I could always go to a big boosters place south of town and watch there, but then i can't drink and uber my way back.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 28, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »

TJ no mas aqui en Topeka.

:sdeek:

yeah, shut down about a month ago.   The wanamaker construction was the final nail.