Author Topic: Religion And Politics  (Read 879 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Religion And Politics
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 01:21:24 PM »
#stevedave and #blueanongE - Standing tall with uber corrupt racist war monger pedophiles . . . as long as they don't think they're a "Christian Nationalist" or supported by "Christian Nationalists".  :thumbsup:

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 01:22:02 PM »
I'd like to state the obvious....Donald Trump does not give two fucks about Jesus Christ.

well he does to the extent JC makes people idiots who will elect him even though he doesn't give 2 fucks about JC

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2024, 01:23:32 PM »
Christian Nationalists . . . a community of hundreds

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2024, 01:23:41 PM »
There are plenty of Christians who sacrifice their finances and time for others. They treat others with dignity and respect, regardless of race, religion, orientation, etc. I believe many people are just trying to be decent human beings, not wage holy wars.

Yes. Also plenty that for some reason worship Donald Trump
I will NEVER understand this. I don't think it's any secret the US is becoming more persuadable and unintelligent by the minute. Many schools have essentially removed critical thinking from education in order to pass tests to secure funding. Also, the internet / social media is an EXTREMELY powerful medium.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2024, 01:25:10 PM »
There are plenty of Christians who sacrifice their finances and time for others. They treat others with dignity and respect, regardless of race, religion, orientation, etc. I believe many people are just trying to be decent human beings, not wage holy wars.

I will NEVER understand this. I don't think it's any secret the US is becoming more persuadable and unintelligent by the minute. Many schools have essentially removed critical thinking from education in order to pass tests to secure funding. Also, the internet / social media is an EXTREMELY powerful medium.

The areas that are removing standards the fastest are dominated by (D) Democrat politicians. 

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2024, 01:30:17 PM »

The areas that are removing standards the fastest are dominated by (D) Democrat politicians.
I'm a fence sitting centrist who can lean either direction depending on the topic. I'm saddened by my choices on both sides.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2024, 01:38:54 PM »

Most of the people who worship Trump haven't been in a school for more than 40 years, so I wouldn't put the blame there.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2024, 01:41:04 PM »

Most of the people who worship Trump haven't been in a school for more than 40 years, so I wouldn't put the blame there.

Either haven't been or are now prevented of being within 1000 yards by court order.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2024, 01:51:25 PM »
No matter the topic . . . all roads lead back to Don Trump for #blueanongE

Mea culpa for biting.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2024, 01:52:30 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that critical thinking wasn't ever a strength of the people. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2024, 01:56:41 PM »
The legacy of the Democratic party is one of legions upon legions of deep thinkers.   :lol: :lol:

Feelings and emotions are not deep thoughts.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2024, 02:02:02 PM »
We all have our golden calves/idols. Pete is absolutely right about Trump.

Idols are a fascinating topic of their own.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2024, 02:04:29 PM »
The legacy of the Democratic party is one of legions upon legions of deep thinkers.   :lol: :lol:

The trick was always about making it "us" vs "them". There are plenty of fairly intelligent and unintelligent people on both sides. I hope someday for leadership that strives to find common ground, and lift expectations. This country is best when we try to work together.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2024, 02:11:52 PM »

The trick was always about making it "us" vs "them". There are plenty of fairly intelligent and unintelligent people on both sides. I hope someday for leadership that strives to find common ground, and lift expectations. This country is best when we try to work together.
Hegelian dialectic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2024, 02:28:53 PM »
The eff Your Feelings crowd is very heavily tied to religion.  What is faith if not a feeling?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2024, 03:15:00 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that critical thinking wasn't ever a strength of the people.
Yeah you’d think things like blatant racism were always fixable with critical thinking. I think our modern era has just made us more aware of how ignorant a lot of people are.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Religion And Politics
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2024, 03:18:39 PM »
The eff Your Feelings crowd is very heavily tied to religion.  What is faith if not a feeling?
Beliefs aren’t feelings.

Like I don’t have a feeling that the Earth is round but I believe it despite not having done anything to independently verify it.

The only difference between that and faith (at least in my mind) is that faith is a belief that is basically incapable of scientific proof.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2024, 03:27:47 PM »
Beliefs aren’t feelings.

Like I don’t have a feeling that the Earth is round but I believe it despite not having done anything to independently verify it.

The only difference between that and faith (at least in my mind) is that faith is a belief that is basically incapable of scientific proof.

This is interesting to me, as one of the faithless.  Sometimes I wonder if people have a hard time discussing differences due to the inability to agree on definitions, terms, etc. 

Does people's faith not come with feeling?  Do believers not feel god in their life?  If not, I really don't get it(I already don't get it, and that's ok). 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2024, 04:09:27 PM »
Nailed it

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2024, 04:36:13 PM »
Man the co-mingling over the last few posts is so positively spot on.   :thumbsup:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2024, 07:29:48 PM »
Beliefs aren’t feelings.

This is interesting to me, as one of the faithless.  Sometimes I wonder if people have a hard time discussing differences due to the inability to agree on definitions, terms, etc. 

Does people's faith not come with feeling?  Do believers not feel god in their life?  If not, I really don't get it(I already don't get it, and that's ok).
I think every belief comes with some feeling. And I certainly think people’s faith is influenced by their feelings, but they’re not the same thing. Faith is a choice.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2024, 10:56:58 PM »
It's not that the West no longer wants to believe in God, but that it can't even believe anymore: It's a dead rose. nihilism is so widespread, through a sort of liberal-type social engineering (individualism, secularization, etc.) going on 200 years, that they can only have faith/trust in nothing. As Bauman writes & demonstrates in his book "Liquid Modernity", the West doesn't even believe in a utopian vision anymore, that which was the foundation of secular modernity.

~Ciarán Ó Murchadha

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2024, 11:02:15 PM »
Beliefs aren’t feelings.

I mean, if you've opened a textbook and spent like 30 seconds thinking about the argument it presents, you've done every independent thing you need to do to verify the earth is round.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2024, 11:31:27 PM »
Beliefs aren’t feelings.

I mean, if you've opened a textbook and spent like 30 seconds thinking about the argument it presents, you've done every independent thing you need to do to verify the earth is round.
See, people saying things like this with such confidence is exactly why I don’t feel any need to do the work myself.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2024, 07:23:11 AM »
I will admit that my beliefs and my faith get blurred from time to time. Like I have an unflinching belief in the laws of gravity bc I’ve only ever seen that those laws cannot be broken and must therefore be the way things are.

But when astronomers tell me oh yeah there’s a black hole 1500 light years away swallowing up galaxies like gang busters, like, don’t get me wrong I believe that’s true, but I admit I am taking it on faith.

I suppose an important distinction is you won’t find me using "a black hole 1500 light years away" as justification for eradicating entire groups of the population.