Author Topic: Midwest Cheap  (Read 2347 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Midwest Cheap
« on: January 04, 2024, 10:13:28 AM »
You all probably still have some certain quirks for your cheapness deep down, what are they?

Funny one that I had a self realization about the other day was when buying chicken that was buy one get one free. I took a good minute to find the second package of chicken that was closest to the price of the first one I had grabbed. I don't mind splurging other things but I'll be damned if I pay 10 cents more for a package of chicken

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Midwest Cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 10:23:09 AM »
I've inherited my father's fanaticism about getting every last bit of ketchup out of the old bottle before discarding/recycling it. Drove my mom nuts, now it has become my toxic trait.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 10:31:51 AM »
I almost started a thread yesterday about awesome generic crap after I broke into a bag of Signature SELECT Almonds. They were awesome and so much better than Blue Diamond! Generic Zyrtec is also great. My mom bought me 200 generic Zytrec at Sam's for $15!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:36:20 AM by bucket »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 10:34:34 AM »
Maximizing credit card spend to get points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 10:36:59 AM »
I almost started a thread yesterday about awesome generic crap after I broke into a bag of Signature SELECT Almonds. They were awesome and so much better than Blue Diamond! Generic Zyrtec is also great. My mom bought me 200 generic Zytrec at Sam's for $15!

amaze

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 10:47:18 AM »
Def a store brand (kroger, private selection, simple truth) guy
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 11:06:10 AM »
Mrs SF and I almost got run over in a Walmart grocery parking lot she likes to frequent to save $2 because someone stole an old lady's purse and Walmart people went on the attack and started throwing various canned goods at the persons car when they sped out of the parking lot.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 11:24:04 AM »
I spend over budget on car and waaaay under budget on housing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 11:26:43 AM »
You all probably still have some certain quirks for your cheapness deep down, what are they?

Funny one that I had a self realization about the other day was when buying chicken that was buy one get one free. I took a good minute to find the second package of chicken that was closest to the price of the first one I had grabbed. I don't mind splurging other things but I'll be damned if I pay 10 cents more for a package of chicken
I do this too.

I compare everything with price per ounce, do it with everything. Cheese, Beer, Apples. You name it. Also only somethings I buy once they go on sale. If i run out of razor blades I will use the last blade in the box sparingly until they go on sale. A lot of things in life I refuse to pay full price for.

Also eff inflation 
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 11:30:55 AM »
I don't look at the price of literally anything at the grocery store. Never have, never will.

But I refuse to buy expensive slippers. I have bought new cheap ones every year for a while and still have remained under price of the premium options.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 11:35:41 AM »

I do this too.

I compare everything with price per ounce, do it with everything. Cheese, Beer, Apples. You name it. Also only somethings I buy once they go on sale. If i run out of razor blades I will use the last blade in the box sparingly until they go on sale. A lot of things in life I refuse to pay full price for.

Also eff inflation
YES GREG YES. Those razor holiday gift kits always go on sale the week after Christmas. Which reminds me I bought 8 razors and shaving gel for $4. Did the same with a deodorant/body wash combo  :cool:

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 11:43:48 AM »

I do this too.

Also eff inflation
YES GREG YES. Those razor holiday gift kits always go on sale the week after Christmas. Which reminds me I bought 8 razors and shaving gel for $4. Did the same with a deodorant/body wash combo  :cool:
Samesies. I haven't bought socks in years. Always get them for Christmas.

Bit of a #ack for the Price Per Ounce most grocery stores have them on the price tag on the shelf. Usually just buy the one that is lower. Problem solved. Also sticking to a list. Never ever buy something because you think it is a good deal.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 11:47:50 AM »

I do this too.

Also eff inflation

I do this for k-cups. Oh, Dunkin’ Donuts isn’t on sale. I guess I’ll buy these McDonalds ones that are half price if you buy two or more. I was also stoked that Jenny O ground turkey was on sale for a $1/lb last time k was in the store. I got three but wish I had got more. Perdue is usually $5/lb!

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2024, 11:51:00 AM »
I also don't wash my truck. Ever really. Would rather drive it through a puddle v. fast on the side of the road to help wash it off during the rainstorm than pay for a wash.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2024, 11:53:09 AM »
Don't buy paper plates either for large gatherings, if we have pizza you can either put it on one of our reusable plates or grab a paper towel.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2024, 12:00:44 PM »
Don't buy paper plates either for large gatherings, if we have pizza you can either put it on one of our reusable plates or grab a paper towel.

Paper plates cost way too much.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2024, 12:00:54 PM »
I used to bake a ham when it got down to $2/lb and just freeze a bunch of it rather than buy the crap in the bag for $5/lb.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2024, 12:02:13 PM »
Always cancel subscription like ESPN plus as soon as I turn it on so I can stretch out a few days weeks before turning it back on when I need it again

Spending ungodly amounts of money on trips but park in cheapest lot at the airport if I drive (typically Uber now) or any other variety of travel small fees I try and avoid.

Hunt for free street parking when could just pay a buck closer at the meter

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2024, 12:04:26 PM »
my wife does instacart aldi rather than go to a slightly more expensive store on our block. Like, great, we saved a dollar on a gallon of milk but spent $10 in delivery fees

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2024, 12:07:53 PM »
I've inherited my father's fanaticism about getting every last bit of ketchup out of the old bottle before discarding/recycling it. Drove my mom nuts, now it has become my toxic trait.

My grandma grew up during the great depression so she used to do crap like cut the end off the tube of toothpaste to get the last of it out.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2024, 12:15:13 PM »

maybe just change your budget? :dunno:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2024, 12:34:05 PM »

My grandma grew up during the great depression so she used to do crap like cut the end off the tube of toothpaste to get the last of it out.
My grandparents (both sides) were incredibly frugal.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2024, 12:39:46 PM »

Why?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 12:49:40 PM »

Why?

I really don't know why you have a budget to begin with

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 12:55:11 PM »
I am with 7, I don't give a eff what the price is when I am in a grocery store.  I just grab stuff.  And I am the one in our house that does the grocery shopping (I am given a list, typically). I also don't look at gas prices. 

But, I have only ever purchased 1 new car in my life, and that was in 2020 at the very worst of covid and the discount was insanely good. 

I will fully engage in Midwest "can you believe the prices of cars today" water cooler talk, but just stare at them blankly when someone talks about gas or eggs or whatever.