Author Topic: Who will be our new OC?  (Read 9298 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Who will be our new OC?
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2024, 04:27:31 PM »
Avery handpicked Wells due to his development of Jordan Love.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2024, 04:28:04 PM »
This is more or less fine.  I don't love it, but we could've done a lot, lot worse imo.

this would be good for texas 'cruiting, no?

of course we could do worse, but I'd rather just promote from within, even if it's Riley, and hire a young guy from Texas if we want to improve recruiting somewhere. Wells as coached in TX a grand total of 3 seasons and hasn't been on the recruiting trail for over 2 years. Plus he's likely the top replacement for Kleiman if he retires/leaves.

FWIW, we are promoting from within. Wells is going to be the Co-Coordinator and passing game coordinator. He's done this same thing at Navy and Utah State. I know you keep going to the one year thing, but it was only one year because he did the job so well, in that year, he got promoted, and Jordan Love drafted in the first round. He wasn't fired.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2024, 04:30:06 PM »
just bustin your ball(s).  i know nothing about matt wells other than tech hired him a few years ago from Utah State and he subsequently was fired.  klieman loves riley so if he ends up choosing wells, i think that says something.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2024, 04:42:22 PM »
No idea if he was calling plays (doubt it), but the offenses under Wells at both USU and TT were both, on the whole, pretty underwhelming. He had one truly great year at USU (his last), but several years of mediocre/bad offenses from a scoring standpoint (including one in which they were 107th in scoring).

This is a completely meh hire, but it could have been worse (see The Mess).

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2024, 05:02:27 PM »
I'm kind of rooting for Riley. He's probably the best position coach we have and I like the idea of keeping continuity.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2024, 05:04:23 PM »
just bustin your ball(s).  i know nothing about matt wells other than tech hired him a few years ago from Utah State and he subsequently was fired.  klieman loves riley so if he ends up choosing wells, i think that says something.

He's supposedly tight buds with Wells, so I don't think it says a ton

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2024, 05:12:01 PM »

He's supposedly tight buds with Wells, so I don't think it says a ton

IT SAYS HE HAS A TON (at least 4) OF FRIENDS!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2024, 05:18:01 PM »
This is more or less fine.  I don't love it, but we could've done a lot, lot worse imo.

of course we could do worse, but I'd rather just promote from within, even if it's Riley, and hire a young guy from Texas if we want to improve recruiting somewhere. Wells as coached in TX a grand total of 3 seasons and hasn't been on the recruiting trail for over 2 years. Plus he's likely the top replacement for Kleiman if he retires/leaves.

FWIW, we are promoting from within. Wells is going to be the Co-Coordinator and passing game coordinator. He's done this same thing at Navy and Utah State. I know you keep going to the one year thing, but it was only one year because he did the job so well, in that year, he got promoted, and Jordan Love drafted in the first round. He wasn't fired.

I'm sure he did a fine job and didn't mean to imply he was fired after that year but I don't see co-oc on his resume at usu or Navy.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2024, 05:46:18 PM »
Have we covered that this is likely a Co-OC situation with Riley?  I see it as a safety net for Riley to grow into a full blown OC and Wells gets to rehab himself into a HC again.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2024, 06:01:48 PM »
Have we covered that this is likely a Co-OC situation with Riley?  I see it as a safety net for Riley to grow into a full blown OC and Wells gets to rehab himself into a HC again.

That's what I think
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2024, 01:08:44 AM »

I'm sure he did a fine job and didn't mean to imply he was fired after that year but I don't see co-oc on his resume at usu or Navy.

He was the QB coach and passing game coordinator, that's the exact same thing he'll be doing at K-State.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2024, 08:57:42 AM »
All the pissing and moaning is nonsense.  Matt Wells will be a great hire, and complement Riley in developing a great offense.  Continuity + new blood = good coaching.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2024, 10:54:12 AM »
I'm generally for bringing in someone outside the program that might have some fresh ideas.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2024, 11:24:21 AM »
I'm generally for bringing in someone outside the program that might have some fresh ideas.

Might make your team more difficult for opponents to prepare for.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2024, 12:40:02 PM »
I'd feel better about it if his offenses weren't mostly bad/mediocre at USU/TT.

Outside of the Jordan Love year, not a lot to like looking up and down his offenses since starting at Utah State. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2024, 03:42:14 PM »
I will just say that generally speaking I've been pleased with how Coach K has managed his staff in his tenure here, and by and large I'll trust him until proven otherwise.  In the event that I stop trusting him, I trust that the AD will seek my counsel. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2024, 04:00:52 PM »
I will just say that generally speaking I've been pleased with how Coach K has managed his staff in his tenure here, and by and large I'll trust him until proven otherwise.  In the event that I stop trusting him, I trust that the AD will seek my counsel.

Damn, I wish he would have called you re: Nae'Qwan Tomlin.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:07:14 PM by deputy dawg »

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2024, 04:44:27 PM »

"By and large" always rinds me of Snyder.

:billdance:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2024, 06:34:22 PM »
I'd feel better about it if his offenses weren't mostly bad/mediocre at USU/TT.

Outside of the Jordan Love year, not a lot to like looking up and down his offenses since starting at Utah State.

I am a layperson for certain, but I kinda hope we are bringing him in to literally do the "Jordan Love" offense with Avery.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2024, 06:52:14 PM »
Sounds like he might have an in with this guy from his days atTTU

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/jerand-bradley-238229?view=cv

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2024, 10:56:58 AM »

Damn, I wish he would have called you re: Nae'Qwan Tomlin.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2024, 05:05:42 PM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2024, 06:04:50 PM »

"By and large" always rinds me of Snyder.

:billdance:

yes, absolutely does.  I assume the 'by and large' phrase was pointedly selected by B.E.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2024, 08:42:27 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2024, 08:44:38 PM »
Official

https://twitter.com/KStateFB/status/1743016591682347457
is wells on steroids?  looks like he’s got an anger problem
We should submit a freedom of information act request.